Andrew Johns poised to switch from Channel 9 to Fox Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
FOX Sports has made an audacious bid to snatch Andrew Johns from Channel Nine with a view of making him and brother Matt the new face of the network's rugby league coverage. Now, fans, does that sound like Fox Sports is about to turn its back on the NRL to you?
We've been told a "huge offer" has been tabled for Johns. Should he sign with Fox Sports, he will form a formidable combination with Matt, whose panel shows throughout the week are as entertaining as most matches.
Reunited? Fox Sports want Matthew and Andrew Johns to be the faces of their NRL coverage.<cite style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;"> Photo: Cameron Spencer</cite>
Bagging sports commentators and sideline eyes is a national pastime in this country, and Johns has attracted his fair slice of critics since a neck injury forced him into premature retirement and into full-time calling.
But his commentary has improved infinitely in recent years. When Joey is providing "master-classes" into what's happening on the field, the viewer always learns something new from the game's greatest halfback.
Away from the play, he's a strong voice on all issues. Just ask Trent Hodkinson.
He'd also be hilarious sitting on a couch with Matt, Gorden Tallis, Bryan Fletcher and Nathan Hindmarsh. Footy is supposed to be fun. These blokes remind us of that fact.
So if Fox Sports secure Johns, it will be a significant coup.
The approach could not have come at a more interesting time after Nine boss David Gyngell completely stunned Fox Sports and owner News Corp with a $925 million deal to broadcast footy from 2018.
News Corp boss Rupert Murdoch has given strong indications he'll walk away from the NRL, but let's hope that is all just bluff and bluster, as many predict.
Say what you will about the media empire's nefarious grip on the game for two decades, but Fox Sports' coverage has become polished and professional, although some commentators are painful to listen to.
If Nine was to counter-attack, they could do worse than snap up Braith Anasta, who has been a revelation for Fox Sports this season.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...fox-sports-20150827-gj8wna.html#ixzz3k3ugXJaR

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
joey doesnt add much to a commentary team, he tends to ramble on more then adding worth while comments to any coverage, plus his bias to teams hes involved with is another point where he rambles on saying how good someone is going

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
joey doesnt add much to a commentary team, he tends to ramble on more then adding worth while comments to any coverage, plus his bias to teams hes involved with is another point where he rambles on saying how good someone is going
Really? I think he's the best analyst on Nine.

Fittler's too much of a clown to add much.
Fatty's an awful analyst.
Wally Lewis is basically a Broncos/Maroons cheerleader.
Brett Finch might have fewer IQ points than he has former NRL clubs.

Sterlo's quality, I guess...

Fruitty Pebbles

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sterlo is By Far the Best analyst IMHO, the least bias in his commentary, calls it as it is Even in Parra games.

Fittler is a joke
Fatty is an Analyst? lol
Wally Can't stand TBH
Finch recycles everyones work

Johns is better then the above except for Sterlo.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Will be interesting, it's no secret that the brothers have never seen eye to eye.

Malla

Reaction score
Johns definitely add's a lot of value. I think he is held back by the others though - it seems like they are just content on being clowns on air, or happy with the Ray Warren and Phil Gould petty arguing. Johns seems like the only one passionate about footy and keen to talk to it and give the fans greater insight. I think he will seriously consider this deal.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Sterlo is By Far the Best analyst IMHO, the least bias in his commentary, calls it as it is Even in Parra games.

Fittler is a joke
Fatty is an Analyst? lol
Wally Can't stand TBH

Sterlo is the only one I listen to, everyone else can get ****ed lol

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Johns' analysis would be more credible if he didn't stutter his way through all his comments as if on a high from his pills

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Matt Shirvington needs to be fired. He is the worst Rugby League commentator/host ever and by a far margin.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

I agree with you 100%, it will be blow for C9 if he jumps to fox

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Fittler is a joke
Fatty is an Analyst? lol
Wally Can't stand TBH

Pretty much, rabbits is going senile and ghould just whinges and is a know it all.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can he take Fittler with him?

Please?

Pretty please?????

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Nine won't lose him. Why can't he appear on both, Sterlo does.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Nine won't lose him. Why can't he appear on both, Sterlo does.
It might be because they want Joey to be the "face" of rugby league on Fox, not just an analyst?

silva

Utility
Reaction score
It might be because they want Joey to be the "face" of rugby league on Fox, not just an analyst?
Yeah possibly. Dud move though I don't see him as a leading host, suits that analyst position perfectly. I don't know why he doesn't get into coaching, players respect him so much. He prob doesn't want the pressure.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So now he can f@ck fox sports with his drug induced jibberish?

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hope he does, love fox and think Joey is great.. Is one of the funniest blokes I've ever heard or met.. And I love his in sight..

Status
Not open for further replies.