Andrew Johns is rugby league 8th immortal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
the award is purely for what he did on the rugby league field. who gives a **** what he did off it.

im only young, but he is easily the best player i have seen

purpleskittles

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You make out like players getting ``tossed out" of the game for recreational drug use is a common thing....I'll go the other way and suggest clubs finding evidence of players using recreational drugs and keeping those results``in house" unless the media gets wind of things is common practice.

Sure, the profile of a player might influence the lengths people will go to in order to cover up their indiscretion...but is that the fault of the idol or the idiotic society which creates the culture of idol worship?

I vote the latter
Football wise yes, He deserves it.

What I am saying is common thing or not, lesser players have had their careers tossed down the drain for lesser evils. Reni was scrubbed out for two years for drug taking. Johns was known to take drugs and due to his "idol" status which was pushed by the media that owns the game AND THE SAME MEDIA THAT SAID THEY WERE AWARE OF HIS DRUG TAKING, he got off scott free. All I am saying is, if he received the treatment others players did. He wouldn't have been mentioned. Hell his brother was RETIRED and all he did was cheat on his wife (and his wife was the only person he should have answered to) yet was taken through a ****ing mess over it yet Andrew was made out to be a victim for his choices?

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Well if Johns can become an Immortal after a few pingers, Carney should have the hall of fame renamed after him.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Lockyer is the most overrated player of all-time. I mean he is great but he's not better than Fittler, Daley or even Langer.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lockyer was a good player, but there is no way he should be an immortal.

I agree with others, I think of the current crop - Cam Smith is the only player that will be close to an immortal. We have never seen a dummy half like him before and noone is even close to as good as he is.

G

Gibbo1977

johns im not sure, i would have chosen Mal actually.
The king is still the best ive seen by far.

nasals

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Whoever gets picked, in the end it doesn't really matter. I don't think any commentator or journalist who were involved in the voting are anymore qualified than the passionate rugby league fan to decide who gets immortal status and who doesn't.

It's really a promotional tool for the game which is why the focus is on the more recent players whereas players from the 60s , 70s and 80s who were just as good if not better than Andrew Johns don't get mentioned or are quietly forgotten.

The NRL should create a Hall of Fame instead and induct players from all the different eras so they can all be remembered and celebrated.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew Johns deserved it. The only other one I would have liked maybe to get it was Norm Provan.
Best Player I have ever watched in my life time.
However, I think the whole process of how you are selected is a little weak and makes it sound really ridiculous. if the people who chose the immortals actually were all credible and worthy of giving their voice, then fine, but besides the current live 5 immortals, ray warren, wayne bennett, john grant and david middleton. Who cares who people like rothfield, RLW editors, ray hadley, roy masters think. Why not give them votes to more highly regarded people in the rugby league world, aka phil gould, current ceo shane mattiske, former ceo david gallop, even referees have more credibility than rlw editors, people who have watched and seen first hand the excellent players of the game - shayne hayne, tony archer, bill harrigan.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoever gets picked, in the end it doesn't really matter. I don't think any commentator or journalist who were involved in the voting are anymore qualified than the passionate rugby league fan to decide who gets immortal status and who doesn't.

It's really a promotional tool for the game which is why the focus is on the more recent players whereas players from the 60s , 70s and 80s who were just as good if not better than Andrew Johns don't get mentioned or are quietly forgotten.

The NRL should create a Hall of Fame instead and induct players from all the different eras so they can all be remembered and celebrated.
beat me to it. i do like the point of hall of fame. better than immortals in my opinion.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I find any "hall of fame" a bit "meh"....

..... as for Johns using drugs? BFD.... there would be few of us here that have never at least done a few lines, smoked some j's, gone clubbing on the pingers etc..... glass houses....
I don't do cocaine, I just like the way it smells

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
the award is purely for what he did on the rugby league field. who gives a **** what he did off it.

im only young, but he is easily the best player i have seen

This post made me think of bulldogs_fan. Wonder if he seen him play ??

MrDogzOfWar

Dogz At War!
Reaction score
I really expected Provan. Wont argue though, Johns did things on the field I thought were impossible. Congrats to him.
Why he done things impossible was because he used to take the coke, right up the nose b4 the game!!

Big_Dawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find any "hall of fame" a bit "meh"....

..... as for Johns using drugs? BFD.... there would be few of us here that have never at least done a few lines, smoked some j's, gone clubbing on the pingers etc..... glass houses....
But we're not becoming immortals are we

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The few that do take drugs on here are not role models or Immortals of League
Agreed Assassin, con't stand the pr*k!! sends the wrong message as far as I am concerned.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lockyer was a good player, but there is no way he should be an immortal.

I agree with others, I think of the current crop - Cam Smith is the only player that will be close to an immortal. We have never seen a dummy half like him before and noone is even close to as good as he is.
Well said, Cam Smith is a complete RL footballer and a great Captain with an amazing temperament, nothing phases him!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.