Andrew Johns Bulldogs Skills Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quillen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused by this:

"THE Bulldogs have become the latest NRL club to sign retired league legend Andrew Johns as a skills coach.

Johns has signed on for the 2008 season to work with the halves, hookers and backs, starting this week.

Johns started a similar role with the Parramatta Eels and he has also been working with his former club Newcastle."

Does this mean he will be holding the same position at multiple clubs? Or is he exclusively ours? (I would have hoped it'd be the latter, but it's obviously the former).

For some reason I'm not so excited any more...
I agree with this ^^^

To sign him exclusively would cost big $$$ and effectively make him full blown part of the Bulldogs coaching staff as opposed to just a contractor.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
tbh i wouldnt mind if he only worked 4 the dogs.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just hope he keeps his mouth shut about our training drills and plays

Eg

Johns to Hagan: "ok, now Sonny will break the line and run over Hayne, leaving his size 14 imprints on his head, before doing a 360 sommersault (i think thats how you spell it :p ) and ending with a classy touchdown"

Hagan to Johns: "Cool. Now how much is it gonna cost for those pills?"

sherwinisagun

bulldog member '07
Reaction score
this should be the start of something great, wooohooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

D_sab

Ballboy
Reaction score
LMAO At the deletion of RaP!st in physiotherap!st LOL

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
this is perfect
Johns can teach the team how to drug cheat!

just think Reni Maitua can now have a chuff even throughout the normal season and not just in the offseason

PHELPSY

DEEEEEEBO
Reaction score
this is great news im excited to see how hes guna assist our boys.

D

DoggyStylz

Does this mean now hat the dogs have him, will the Roosters try and buy him off us?

TOOL

Lt. Col. Speirs
Reaction score
Bulldogs unfazed by Johns 'conflict'

December 06, 2007

STEVE Folkes is not worried about Andrew Johns giving away trade secrets after the Bulldogs became the second NRL club to sign the former champion halfback as a skills coach.

The retired Newcastle halfback, who stunned the code this year when he admitted to a decade-long problem with drugs and alcohol, has already signed with Parramatta and has also been helping the Knights.

This raises the question of what happens to Johns when the clubs face each other next season, but Folkes doesn't see a conflict of interest.

The Bulldogs coach added that Johns's consultancy work was no different to that done by former Bulldogs sharp-shooter Daryl Halligan, who helps players from several clubs with goalkicking.

"He's not coming over to teach tactics or anything like that," Folkes said yesterday.

"It's just more teaching the art of halfback play to the halves, I guess.

"I don't see it as a problem. I don't think he's going to be taking secrets from us to them or vice versa."

Eels coach Michael Hagan was also unfazed, coming up with a novel way for the clubs to share Johns's time.

"He'll (Johns) work with us in round one, he'll work for the Dogs in round two, the Knights in round three and then back to us again," Hagan said.

"But I don't see it as a problem and he'll add value to our club and we'll be better off for it. In the end, he was going to work with a few clubs and I just wanted to make sure we were one of them."

The Bulldogs are yet to settle on a halves combination for 2008, following the departure of Brent Sherwin to English Super League club Castleford.

They will be desperate to turn things around next season. Despite making the finals this year, the Dogs failed to make an impression with concerns their playing style was outdated.

Folkes has several halfback options, including Ben Roberts, Daniel Holdsworth, Michael Sullivan and Reni Maitua, as well as rookies Aaron Groom and Ben Barba.

The coach said he might not settle on a combination until after the club's pre-season trial matches and he could also take input from Johns as to who is the best choice.

"We've got a few options," Folkes said. "They'll all get a run in the trials, all the ones that we're thinking about."

The addition of Johns to the coaching staff will be of welcome relief following a turbulent off-season at Belmore.

The drama started last month when Willie Mason had an ugly falling out with Folkes and chief executive Malcolm Noad and was granted a release to join Sydney Roosters.

The positions of Folkes and Noad have both been questioned, and several former Bulldogs players have signalled their intentions to stand for the board at next year's annual general meeting.

This week has also been forgettable, with Reni Maitua told he is on his last chance after the Bulldogs utility missed training because of a weekend drinking bender.

Noad looked to put the drama behind him, claiming in a press release that Johns's recruitment was a sign of how keen the club was to turn things around.

"We held a full review of the season and today's announcement of Andrew's coaching role with the club is the first of a number of new initiatives the Bulldogs will undertake as we head into the 2008 NRL season," Noad said.

"In January, we'll be moving our administrative and training headquarters to Sydney Olympic Park ... a brand new gymnasium, double the size of the gym at Belmore Sports Ground, will be built at the athletic centre which will house our existing equipment plus $120,000 of the latest state-of-the-art exercise equipment."

Mongrel

blue & white since 73
Reaction score
Are both Johns boys working at dogs and parra?

We all know joey has signed on at canterbury and parramatta to improve the halves combintaions etc,but is reg regan also teaching his best talents to dogs and parra players also...i.e. reni matuia and tim smith?:D

Quillen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fan - "I heard you're working with Joey Johns..."

SBW - "Yeah... I've smashed him..."

Status
Not open for further replies.