Andrew Davey joins Parramatta Eels from Bulldogs

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Davey a swap with Doorey, it would fit the m ayhem narrative, Clarke a swap with JMK as well goes nicely. Seriously think they must have a forward lined up from elsewhere and are preparing to upgrade someones contract from outside top 30. Candidates being Rajab, Papil'i, Edwards, Morrin.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Tigers might be sniffing out Rhajab due to their halves problem. one spot might be needed to lock him up. Been quality this year in Reggie's. Can play FB and centre but running 5/8 is probs his best spot.

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
if there's a plan, explain to me how signing him less than 6 months ago fits into that plan, fam.

This is a straight up bizarre decision... especially considering we just signed him, he played well on the weekend and we are so short on forwards.
I understand your frustration.

However, we do not know what has actually occurred.
Did Davey & his manager demand a release, for whatever reason, and Gus decided it wasn't worth keeping a player who didn't want to be there?
Was Davey not picked in the 17 this week because CC (+ Gus?) decided that playing him last week with a finger injury was a mistake?
Did Davey complain about having to play with an injury and made a big deal about it, to the point where it was untenable for him to stay?

We don't know the reasons behind this and probably never will.

I'm trying to be a half glass full supporter and am backing Gus & CC 100%, but if others don't back them, fair enough, we all have a choice.

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I can’t believe the dumb ***** that don’t trust Gus. They’re good for a laugh at least.

Yes, this is a strange one, losing another forwar, especially after the news that King is out for a month, but Gus is always 2 steps ahead, thinking of long term success. If it was beneficial for both parties, he’d let Davey walk. I doubt he or the club would let anyone go they wanted. They’ll either promote Edwards, Morrin, Hughes and Kautoga, or have a prop lined up.

All you have to do is look at the deadwood Gus has saved us from paying. Cotric? God what a terrible contract that turned out to be! Is he even in first grade anymore? LOL. It was worth paying some of his contract to release him. Stimson and Schoupp have really been lighting it up for GC too. NOT. I’m sure I’m forgetting some.. oh yeah Naden, can be very good on his day but they are few and far between. Vaughan is one we should have kept but if he wanted too much $, letting him go was understandable.
Stimson's contract was up anyway so it was not a decision to release him. My recollection was that with Vaughan it wasn't so much about the money. He sought a multi-year deal about midway through the 2022 season, when he was actually playing pretty average and he had done some silly things off the field in his acreer up until that point. The Dogs baulked at the multi-year deal bit (I beleive they would have been happy to extend him on his existing modest money for another year), he then signed with the ESL and started to play better and then the Dogs realised how valuable he actually was, but it was too late by then.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Ok I'm going to do the moles and the men's room lurker jobs for them....

Dragons sack coach after loss to Bulldogs, Ben Hunt demands instant release to join the Bulldogs now they have cap space.

You heard it here first.... lol

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I understand your frustration.

However, we do not know what has actually occurred.
Did Davey & his manager demand a release, for whatever reason, and Gus decided it wasn't worth keeping a player who didn't want to be there?
Was Davey not picked in the 17 this week because CC (+ Gus?) decided that playing him last week with a finger injury was a mistake?
Did Davey complain about having to play with an injury and made a big deal about it, to the point where it was untenable for him to stay?

We don't know the reasons behind this and probably never will.

I'm trying to be a half glass full supporter and am backing Gus & CC 100%, but if others don't back them, fair enough, we all have a choice.
I think he's a professional and he's contracted. Sure, if he's not fitting in or happy, no use keeping him around long term, but at least keep him around until we have a few more bodies on deck.

I don't see any reason to let him go so quickly unless we needed to free up funds to either sign someone or extend a player's deal.

Just finding it hard to see the logic. But I appreciate the balanced, considered post.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m deeply concerned. Almost 10 years of mediocrity and our best players have been money ball signings - King, Kiraz and Preston. We mock the tigers, we are just as bad.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’m deeply concerned. Almost 10 years of mediocrity and our best players have been money ball signings - King, Kiraz and Preston. We mock the tigers, we are just as bad.
You have to spend 95% of the salary cap every year. If you only made money ball signings you would have millions left to spend. You need to sign marquees and sign those hidden gems on the side aswell.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You have to spend 95% of the salary cap every year. If you only made money ball signings you would have millions left to spend. You need to sign marquees and sign those hidden gems on the side aswell.
I'd rather not spend it, than spend it on crap.

If it was up to me I'd cop the fines from the NRLol just to keep the roster in better shape.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol come on, bro. Davey was one of our few forwards who was eating good metres on the weekend. Morrin is a good young player, but Davey has 10kgs on him. At a time our forward pack is lacking depth and size, we will miss him.

All I can say is Gus had better have a very good prop lined up to make this worthwhile. Even if he does, releasing a bloke 8 rounds and 2 games into his Bulldogs career is just bizarre. This club is turning into a telemarketing call centre with all the turnover we’ve had in recent years. I could understand if Davey had not been a Ciraldo/Gus signing… but when you’re signing a bloke then releasing him a quarter of the way through his first season, the optics are not good.

But hey, maybe they need to free up money to re-sign Waddell!
Are you a sociopath? If not, why do you think you have more knowledge and wisdom than Phil Gould and Cameron Ciraldo? Unless you have club inside information you have even less reason to say such scathing things. Anyone with a brain would leave the footy stuff to the experts. You know, like one of the most successful and experienced coaches and general managers in the sport. But a few on here think they know better and let everyone else know about it like broken friggin records. Well, thank goodness for the ignore function I say. I just decided to show this ignored post of yours to give you the straight dope homie. Now you go back on ignore…

Oh, btw I think I answered that first question.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stimson's contract was up anyway so it was not a decision to release him. My recollection was that with Vaughan it wasn't so much about the money. He sought a multi-year deal about midway through the 2022 season, when he was actually playing pretty average and he had done some silly things off the field in his acreer up until that point. The Dogs baulked at the multi-year deal bit (I beleive they would have been happy to extend him on his existing modest money for another year), he then signed with the ESL and started to play better and then the Dogs realised how valuable he actually was, but it was too late by then.
Vaughan may have wanted more years than we were willing to agree, but there’s no way he would have accepted the same low salary again. He only accepted that initially because he was in the midst of the fallout from his covid bbq.

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
None of it makes sense. We keep saying oh well bring in nsw cup players they are killing it.. yes they are killing it as reserves playing reserves. We need 1-2 marquee signings over the next 6 months. We are miles off the top teams it isn’t funny

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ok I'm going to do the moles and the men's room lurker jobs for them....

Dragons sack coach after loss to Bulldogs, Ben Hunt demands instant release to join the Bulldogs now they have cap space.

You heard it here first.... lol
…… Dogs make top 8

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'd rather not spend it, than spend it on crap.

If it was up to me I'd cop the fines from the NRLol just to keep the roster in better shape.
It isn't fines, we'd just forfeit the 2 points every week until we fixed the cap (the following year).

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And not one of those marquee signings have made any impact or have any X factor that can actually win us games off MOTM performance. I even question the Crichton signing for next year on the supposed money that he would be on. I almost feel we need to rebuild the rebuild.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
FMD Davey was a decent goer, a big body and would have been on peanuts. Oku, Topine , Hoffman and a few others should have got the tap before him. Difference being no one else wanted them. Why sign the guy in the first place he has done nothing wrong to get the chop after 2 games.