News An attitude thing’: Ciraldo rips Bulldogs as ‘embarrassed’ skipper takes blame

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Cameron Ciraldo has conceded his side “can’t keep doing the same thing” and expect a different result following another thumping on Sunday.

The Bulldogs were thrashed by the Sharks 48-10 just six days after they were flogged by the Eels 34-12 on the King’s Birthday.

“That was a tough one. We’ve got a week of training to sort it out, we can’t keep doing the same thing,” Ciraldo said.

“Two weeks ago against the Roosters I thought we played really well, we did a lot of good things and last week and this week hasn’t been good enough. I know what they’re capable of, but it’s been a tough two weeks.”

Captain Reed Mahoney said he was “embarrassed” following another heavy loss.

“I wasn’t at my standard today, as a captain of the club I didn’t lead by example and I’m pretty embarrassed by it,” Mahoney said.

“We’ve got a lot of young and inexperienced boys and they’re learning their trade along the way and it’s not always flowers and rainbows.

“Things are hard but we’ll keep working hard and keep striving for the standards that we want.

“There were just periods there that got out of control and us older senior boys need to stand up.”

Canterbury now have the bye and Ciraldo emphasised they’ll refuse to “accept mediocrity”, with the rookie coach calling for his players to instead “buy in”.

“It definitely gives us the chance to go back to basics and work on stuff in games that’s letting us down at the moment,” he said.

“We had 56 missed tackles again, clearly we need to work on that but as I said before the game, that’s an attitude thing.

“If you’re going to sit on your heels and let your No. 9 (Mahoney) get targeted the way he is at the moment, then you’re going to miss a lot of tackles.

“We need to buy into the defensive pressure and system we’ve got in place. We can easily say let’s find another system and accept mediocrity, but we’re not going to do that.

“It feels like we’ve had a rotation of guys come through and we’re seeing which guys can get the job done in that system.

“The answers are in that room, we don’t have to go looking too far. The last two weeks we’ve just missed too many tackles and been beaten in the basics of the game.”

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Get why people are upset and targetting CC. He deserves blame and criticism, as does everyone connected to the club.

The stark reality is that we should be performing better than we are, there's no mistaking it. It's not good enough, and results like this leaves me questioning our direction.

Attitude, the right one, should be the basics of any football team and for us to be found so wanting in this department is alarming to say the least.

There's no easy fix though it's not something you can switch on or off. Across the board we've been poor, and I can't see it getting much better this year.

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need better forwards.

We got smashed in the middle

Boys to men...

May be the end of the road

We are years away!

Go the puppies!

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus, Mahoney, Ciraldo and the team can fuck off we are sick of this shit same old story.
hate to say it bro but cameron is right about reed getting targeted. Jeez fucking Louise, where Is the brotherhood of ensuring your teammates don’t defend by themselves? They are all to blame in that team. No matter who’s playing.. just keep your line, tackle hard and have a good technique and that’s it. The fries conceded today were not CC fault, it was the players on the field. I fucking knew when sharks scored first I was like he were go, heads went down and attitude went out the window. But before that we were staying in the game

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm starting to hear a lot of excuses and passing the buck.

It's almost getting to the stage you could create Press Conference Bingo or a drinking game.

"young side", "systems in place", "buying into the system", "we will get better", "Not acceptable", "not how we trained during the week".

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm starting to hear a lot of excuses and passing the buck.

It's almost getting to the stage you could create Press Conference Bingo or a drinking game.

"young side", "systems in place", "buying into the system", "we will get better", "Not acceptable", "not how we trained during the week".
I’d like to know what this mythical system is. To my eye we look a completely different variant of shit each week

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I am very intrigued by the lack of mental sharpness of many of our players. They appear slow, lethargic mentally, making decisions in slow motion, with a body moving with no hard and intense intent to it.

Something is in our water and I can't figure out what it is - it just appears as if many players are thinking they can just go through the motions and be carried by other players. If the team played with the intent and intensity of Morrin today, its a different game. Why can't they run with purpose like him - he is smaller and inexperienced FFS.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d like to know what this mythical system is. To my eye we look a completely different variant of shit each week
I can understand about keeping juniors and looking at them in years to come (for example some Panthers NRL players have played together since SG Ball), but that doesn't fix our current issues in NRL, and seems to be a cop out.

You have defence, and you have attack. It's that simple really.

If we go backwards one week, those issues should be getting corrected so they don't reoccur the following week.

Problem is it's not like we are going forwards, we are actually regressing on previous performances.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I preferred last week’s press conference. Today it all sounded pretty rosy ‘they’re just young’ - ‘the answer is in that room’.
I’m far from an expert but I’m not certain the answers are ‘in the room’ . Last week he said if they can’t do the job he’s need to get some who can….. then picked the same team…. Today was dreadful and as bad as any game we’ve placed in the last three seasons.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahaha...buy into the defensive structures....what with four of the smallest players you kept on Ciraldo while you had four of our biggest forwards on the bench?...how about you buy into it and the players will follow.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hate to say it bro but cameron is right about reed getting targeted. Jeez fucking Louise, where Is the brotherhood of ensuring your teammates don’t defend by themselves? They are all to blame in that team. No matter who’s playing.. just keep your line, tackle hard and have a good technique and that’s it. The fries conceded today were not CC fault, it was the players on the field. I fucking knew when sharks scored first I was like he were go, heads went down and attitude went out the window. But before that we were staying in the game
Nailed it mate .. Mahoney is running all over the park trying to compensate for missed tackles and weak defence ..

We get out muscled all over the park .. we lose because we have a lack of experience size and power .. it’s not rocket science ..