American English vs Aussie/Pommy English

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I hate ot say it, but I think the American's have got us here guys.

Let's take a look at some obvious ones to start with.

Certain words end with the 'z' being pronounced or sounded out... yet us dumb Aussies use the letter 's' to replace it instead. 'Organise' 'Prioritise' 'Emphasise' 'Individualise' 'Analyse' - is it really that hard to spell these words out just as they sound and add a 'ze' to end them instead of 'se'?

Another one... we can all pronounce the word 'our' - now pronounce the word 'colour' - did you hear the word 'our' pronounced anywhere in 'colour'? No... it should therefore be spelt (or spelled... don't get me started)... C-O-L-O-R.

This rule also applies to favourite/favorite.

I got an even better one for you...

Pronounce this name... Peter.

Then... pronounce this... Metre.

WHY THE FUCK IS IT NOT SPELT METER???

Same applies for centre/center.

Here's another one that applies to English in general. The letter 'c' is meant to start words that being with 'ch' - such as church, charity, chicken etc... the letter 'k' is meant for everything that has a vowel after it, so the following are examples of words that should begin with 'k' instead... cat, car, Carmichael etc...

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The English language has a lot of inconsistencies.. Heck imagine reading this if you were unable to read properly.. ‘As he closed the door, he left her with a tear on her face..’ You could interpret it two ways..Either she was crying or had a gash on her face.. Sheesh!!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The English language has a lot of inconsistencies.. Heck imagine reading this if you were unable to read properly.. ‘As he closed the door, he left her with a tear on her face..’ You could interpret it two ways..Either she was crying or had a gash on her face.. Sheesh!!
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Quite an imaginative mind you have there my brother.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bow (as in tie)
Bow (as in bow and arrow)
Bow (as in what you do before the mout queen)

Grave (as in cemetary)
Grave (as in something severe or serious)

Bat (think Batman)
Bat (think baseball)
Bat (pre-sleep activity for the majority of male teens)

Row (action on a cannoe)
Row (columns and rows)

Ring (on the finger)
Ring (Ima phone someone)

The english language is fucked to people for whom it is not their first language. And there are so many of these?

Sink, right, park.... need I say more?

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Rumours and rumors

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I agree. Why is Australia not spelled "Straya" like we say it?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I love the imperfections, inconsistent rules and the fact every word has 10 different meanings. The English language is just like life itself. lol

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Plenty of Americans are just a little bit stupid with their pronunciation of many words. their pronounciation of nuclear and aluminium drive me a bit nutty. At the end of the day the amount of american tv we watch effects our culture enough. I am quite happy to go with spelling English in the way it is traditionally spelled.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's why they say English is a hard language to learn supposedly.

Thing with the Americans is they spell it how it actually sounds. Example, Jail vs Gaol.