Alarm Bells Mahoney vs JMK

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t look to much into it. You don’t just play shit over night, the whole team has been playing rubbish. A change of scene will be good for mahoney. He is a lot better then jmk overall. But I do agree keeping jmk as a bench player or depth would have been great,

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Needs a massive off season with us to drop some pud... I'm concerned he is in his own head about his shoulder injuries etc.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mahoney has offered absolutely nothing in attack tonight and for most of the season. JMK has been good running from dummy half all year and even more so since Potter took over. For the money he is being paid I’m concerned this could be a dud buy
All is not well at Parra ..... i wouldn't be overly worried.

Agree JMK is having a decent season.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
When you’ve got that sook Moses calling for the ball 95% of the time, yeah of course Mahoney’s numbers in attack would be down

Dylan Brown is an absolute freak… he gets f{}ck all ball too thanks to Moses

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parra are shambles. Arthur was pissed he chose to come to us and would of limited his game.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I've watched him second half, thought he's played OK. Nice play to set up the Sivo try, generally working well round the ruck, defence as always is solid.
As others say, bigger problems at Parra than Reed M.
Defence is always solid? He has been terrible in defence all season haha.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks to be carrying too much weight.. hopefully a good pre season gets him back to his best

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't know how well our lower grade hookers are travelling...
But I would like us to sign either Adrian Trevilyan (Canberra) or Jayden Berrell (Sharks) as cover for Mahoney.
Canberra have Woolford and Starling, Sharks have Brailey and McInness. I think either of them would take the opportunity to come to us and be next man up.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He still has it... His delivery from the ruck is beyond mint and compared to JMK who cant pass to his right is a massive difference.

He does run the ball occasionally and his work off the ball has decreased but he is still ticking.

I was never a fan of the signing but he is a quality rake who when in form is a premiership wining hooker.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't know how well our lower grade hookers are travelling...
But I would like us to sign either Adrian Trevilyan (Canberra) or Jayden Berrell (Sharks) as cover for Mahoney.
Canberra have Woolford and Starling, Sharks have Brailey and McInness. I think either of them would take the opportunity to come to us and be next man up.
There is a hooker at the tigers who is the next B'Smith.. Havent seen him for while but he would be nice.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a couple of his mates up here in Qld. They reckon he needed more rehab time but eels flat out refused because they didn’t want to miss out on their premiership window. He wanted out.
Shoulder reconstructions are not the easiest injuries to come back from.

Seen many players struggle initially.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mahoney has offered absolutely nothing in attack tonight and for most of the season. JMK has been good running from dummy half all year and even more so since Potter took over. For the money he is being paid I’m concerned this could be a dud buy
Dummy half running is a very small part of the toolkit for a good #9. After we signed Mahoney I watched a couple of Eels games. He makes good decisions about which way to spread the ball. He gets passes to forwards that allows them to hit the line at pace and feeds his halves good ball that lets them play with less pressure.

Dummy half running is good to a small extent. But a good ball distributor with vision trump's even the best dummy half runner. A good ball distributor can make the other 12 players a threat, while a good DH runner is basically just a single player being a threat.

For a while I didn't see the hype of Danny Buderas as a youngster. But I watched some of the knights games when I got older and recognised that the first pass from the play the ball can add a great deal to momentum and direction.

In summary we seem to have a good #9 joining us next year even if he's not a dynamic runner from dummy half.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He still has it... His delivery from the ruck is beyond mint and compared to JMK who cant pass to his right is a massive difference.

He does run the ball occasionally and his work off the ball has decreased but he is still ticking.

I was never a fan of the signing but he is a quality rake who when in form is a premiership wining hooker.
I have always thought Mahoneys best assets were his service, kicking game and support play . Sadly the service has only been on point. Other areas kinda of revolve around team effort and fitness, so won't be too hard to fix.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I think jmk will kill it next year but Mahoney will do good for us. His confidence must be down atm he just needs time