Alamoti to the Panthers

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more time goes by the more I hate this.

To not even offer him a contract and for him to only manage to get a 1 year deal somewhere else given the absolute hype fest on him makes me think there has had to have been a problem with coach and player.

Everyone labelled him elite, the players all talked him up at training.

Something must have happened mid season for it to all come undone to the point where we won’t even offer him a contract.
Someone mentioned earlier he was offered a contract.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

To not even offer him a contract and for him to only manage to get a 1 year deal somewhere else given the absolute hype fest on him makes me think there has had to have been a problem with coach and player.

Something must have happened mid season for it to all come undone to the point where we won’t even offer him a contract.
Fox injury in culmination to the lopsided score lines and the toxic environment which sprouted from such is enough to discourage a 19 year old. Not to mention his own woes which were not going to improve in an unstable side lacking chemistry.

You’re not a doggies fan if you don’t feel off when a youngster is let go. Really didn’t expect him to go taking into consideration Avo leaving. Wish the bloke the best though suppose we will know if he really does have talent no better place to find it.

Noosa Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Fox injury in culmination to the lopsided score lines and the toxic environment which sprouted from such is enough to discourage a 19 year old. Not to mention his own woes which were not going to improve in an unstable side lacking chemistry.

You’re not a doggies fan if you don’t feel off when a youngster is let go. Really didn’t expect him to go taking into consideration Avo leaving. Wish the bloke the best though suppose we will know if he really does have talent no better place to find it.
Perhaps he was part of the toxic culture (kicking stones and be influenced by disgruntled players), and Gus and Co felt it was in the clubs best interests to let him go.

Personally i would not be surprised if Gus and CC felt he needed to experience life at a successful club in order to realize what is needed from his side to be successful and helped set up the move.

From what someone on the Kennel said that claimed to have inside knowledge, he didn’t think he needed to go back a grade or two in order to be a better player long term.

In saying all that, he is very young and impressionable and hopefully he can become a quality NRL player one day.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ok mr “Gus has signed ben hunt” lol
No cred

Were more likely to sign Rex hunt than ben
See how dumb you are. That statement was made tongue in cheek, everyone knew it was made tongue in cheek except you. The Ben Hunt situation is a little more complex than you think, you have absolutely no idea!

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
From what I can tell Alamoti (ie; his manager, David Riolo) wanted a Top 30 NRL contract for 3 years with a substantial upgrade based on his “potential”, training with the NRL team and a number of guaranteed NRL games. Based on Gould and Ciraldo’s comments we don’t pay or have contract lengths based on the potential of a 19 year old and we certainly don’t guarantee games. Contracts are based on actuals, what the player has achieved in training and playing.

Over several months of talks they wouldn't lower their requirements and neither would we. Hence the “free to negotiate” result.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah in NSW Cup maybe. He’s only on a one year deal. Penrith do t need him. I feel they just signed him to
Get one back on us
CC may have teed it up with Cleary? Hence another explanation for why only one year? He may not see much of f/g at Pennies. Up to him now to carve out a successful career and iron out his deficiences in the best NRL system.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

"You’re not a doggies fan if you don’t feel off when a youngster is let go".

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

He was offered apparently an non top 30 deal and he rejected, we clearly felt he wasnt ready

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And Kikau will turn out to be the dud buy. Unless next year is a huge turn around.
I wouldn’t judge him on this year. He played the first 4 and last 5 games of the season. Very difficult to build anything missing a big chunk of games in the middle of the season.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You’re not a doggies fan if you don’t feel off when a youngster is let go.
It is disappointing when local juniors don't work out, particularly if they have shown some promise across the years.

In Alamoti's case, I think the product never quite matched the packaging (at least yet):
* He was offered a full-time contract (on potential alone, not performance) several years too early - something that had to be done to stave off competition;
* He was promoted to start in the NRL (on potential alone, not performance) several years too early;
* He is the "victim" of developing physically at a young age, being able to dominate peers in those grades, but then struggling to adapt to open age - he is still so young, he might very well still make it, but it might not be quite as easy as he was used to;
* His emergence occurred during the "unspecified virus of unknown origin", and like many other rookies, have had their progress retarded by its impacts;

Of major concern (to me) was just how slow he appeared after making several breaks throughout the year - easily the slowest of our backline, probably in both NRL & Reggies. (Maybe EQW would give him a run for slowest).

And equally, his defence was suspect and became worse as the season progressed; but then, that was not a problem isolated to him. So, perhaps a little unfair to lay that all on him.

I think the Panthers move is a good one. If he is ever going to make it, he needs further development, and in an environment that isn't sending players backwards.

We can't use him right now (maybe the Panthers can).

If he can improve and get himself up to NRL standard, then maybe in a year or two he will be ready, and maybe at that time our club could be in a position to consider getting him back...maybe.

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tbh I don’t feel for any player if their hearts in it for the $$ and not the club.

Avo showed more but if he truly loved the club, you’d stay for the offer we offered you. Alamoti lacked speed and defence and wish them both well

Money talks at the end of the day, why should we be passionate about players that don’t wanna be here… I just want a full year with no dramas and the boys focusing on playing footy.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Avo showed more but if he truly loved the club, you’d stay for the offer we offered you.
I believe Avo when he says he went for the opportunity to be coached by Bennett.
And I believe him when he says he loves the Dogs.
I would not be at all surprised to see him back in Blue & White from 2027 (maybe earlier if Wayne disappears suddenly).

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is disappointing when local juniors don't work out, particularly if they have shown some promise across the years.

In Alamoti's case, I think the product never quite matched the packaging (at least yet):
* He was offered a full-time contract (on potential alone, not performance) several years too early - something that had to be done to stave off competition;
* He was promoted to start in the NRL (on potential alone, not performance) several years too early;
* He is the "victim" of developing physically at a young age, being able to dominate peers in those grades, but then struggling to adapt to open age - he is still so young, he might very well still make it, but it might not be quite as easy as he was used to;
* His emergence occurred during the "unspecified virus of unknown origin", and like many other rookies, have had their progress retarded by its impacts;

Of major concern (to me) was just how slow he appeared after making several breaks throughout the year - easily the slowest of our backline, probably in both NRL & Reggies. (Maybe EQW would give him a run for slowest).

And equally, his defence was suspect and became worse as the season progressed; but then, that was not a problem isolated to him. So, perhaps a little unfair to lay that all on him.

I think the Panthers move is a good one. If he is ever going to make it, he needs further development, and in an environment that isn't sending players backwards.

We can't use him right now (maybe the Panthers can).

If he can improve and get himself up to NRL standard, then maybe in a year or two he will be ready, and maybe at that time our club could be in a position to consider getting him back...maybe.
As disappointing as it is, it’s no different to so many other players in years past. I’m surprised that some fans who have been around for ages don’t understand this. It sucks but is what it is. I get Paul had higher expectations than most, but it’s still the same. Boom youngster makes NRL, but fails to maintain his spot. If I had a dollar for every kid I thought was the next big thing, to go nowhere, I’d have plenty…

This seems especially prevalent in backs. I remember watching the NYC years ago, looking forward to seeing this winger or that centre play NRL. Most never even debuted. I’m not a coach, never been involved in a footy club. I’m just a punter like most on TK, so I don’t know why they don’t make it, but it’s also simple logic, that there are finite positions available, so many simply can’t make it. Generally, I’d think that the best trainers with toughest mentality make it mostly. Josh Reynolds is a prime example, or Josh Jackson. Not the most skilled, but play with determination usually. I’d hazard a guess that Paul Alamoti doesn’t possess this type of attitude. He dominated his fellow u19 opponents and probably for years earlier, hence he may think it would be the same when he played NRL. The reality was, we barely saw any of his qualities shown in lower grades. But the most damning thing for me, was how his lack of space found him out.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I believe Avo when he says he went for the opportunity to be coached by Bennett.
And I believe him when he says he loves the Dogs.
I would not be at all surprised to see him back in Blue & White from 2027 (maybe earlier if Wayne disappears suddenly).
Bennett's contract finishes at the end of the 2024 Season and Woolf isn't going to stick around if Bennett reneges, does a Bellamy and just won't fark off.

Always a Bulldog

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bennett's contract finishes at the end of the 2024
Yes, but apparently there are rumblings of him remaining in a "Football Manager" kind of role (but then there's also talk of him being back at Rabbits too). Who knows, he might even be available for the Dogs in '25 if things don't markedly improve in the coming months into next year.

The "disappears suddenly" part opens the possibility that even though Jake signed until end of '26, with one of his stated motivations for moving gone (Bennett), and if the incoming coach doesn't really want him, or wants to take their cap in a different direction, there might be an opportunity for us to get him back here earlier than his official "off-contract" date...

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As disappointing as it is, it’s no different to so many other players in years past. I’m surprised that some fans who have been around for ages don’t understand this. It sucks but is what it is. I get Paul had higher expectations than most, but it’s still the same. Boom youngster makes NRL, but fails to maintain his spot. If I had a dollar for every kid I thought was the next big thing, to go nowhere, I’d have plenty…

This seems especially prevalent in backs. I remember watching the NYC years ago, looking forward to seeing this winger or that centre play NRL. Most never even debuted. I’m not a coach, never been involved in a footy club. I’m just a punter like most on TK, so I don’t know why they don’t make it, but it’s also simple logic, that there are finite positions available, so many simply can’t make it. Generally, I’d think that the best trainers with toughest mentality make it mostly. Josh Reynolds is a prime example, or Josh Jackson. Not the most skilled, but play with determination usually. I’d hazard a guess that Paul Alamoti doesn’t possess this type of attitude. He dominated his fellow u19 opponents and probably for years earlier, hence he may think it would be the same when he played NRL. The reality was, we barely saw any of his qualities shown in lower grades. But the most damning thing for me, was how his lack of space found him out.
Yep, disappointed (mainly for him) and mainly because he is a local junior - not that that is enough on its own.
For mine, it is the correct decision though - for all parties.

I am far more disappointed about Avo's departure.
I was more disappointed when players like Finucane, Cook, & even Meaney left.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
But I have to say,
If Ciraldo is just copying the panthers system ‘because he knows success’ and Alamoti is a lazy trainer, why did Alamoti go to the panthers?
Why did Cleary want him!
This is another clue that the ‘players don’t want to train hard’ idea is Bs and it is a culture thing like Davey said.
Maybe because he comes cheap and he’s a centre with some NRL experience with a high ceiling on potential - don’t over think it too much.