Rumour Ado Carr to south’s

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It was reported he signed for 550k but some people think he has the clause that his contract goes up with a certain % when the cap goes up. JAC signed a long time before the upgraded cap and even still not every player would have the clause.
Genuine question, How much will the cap go up? Surely these clauses are only say 3-5% of cap increases for players outside the spine, and top quality spine players at that. I could see some of the absolute elite pushing say 10%.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Instead of the classy blacks going to the Rabbits Josh should bring them to the Dogs.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It was reported he signed for 550k but some people think he has the clause that his contract goes up with a certain % when the cap goes up. JAC signed a long time before the upgraded cap and even still not every player would have the clause.
Genuine question, How much will the cap go up? Surely these clauses are only say 3-5% of cap increases for players outside the spine, and top quality spine players at that. I could see some of the absolute elite pushing say 10%.
Some (mostly younger) players contracts have ratchet clauses for things like making the finals, playing SOO etc. Usually a fixed $ amount. They aren't very popular because the NRL assumes that they will be paid and includes them in the team's Cap.

Some (mostly elite/quality) players have ratchet clauses that are tied to the Salary Cap, if it goes up 5% then their contract goes up 5%. This is more popular (although still not common) as it has no real Cap effect, they go up the same %. Some are tied to the Grant that the NRL gives to the Clubs.

I have never seen or heard of a player contract that goes up by a fixed % every year.

Worth keeping in mind that the Salary Cap usually goes up by the big amounts when the Broadcast Deals are announced and the current deal is for 5 years from 2023 until 2027. So I wouldn't expect a large increase in the Cap until then. The NRL can and does increase the Cap by small amounts in the years in between mostly due to their other (than Broadcast) revenue having gone up (eg; sales of tickets, merchandise etc) but it's not that common.

Always a Bulldog

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some (mostly younger) players contracts have ratchet clauses for things like making the finals, playing SOO etc. Usually a fixed $ amount. They aren't very popular because the NRL assumes that they will be paid and includes them in the team's Cap.

Some (mostly elite/quality) players have ratchet clauses that are tied to the Salary Cap, if it goes up 5% then their contract goes up 5%. This is more popular (although still not common) as it has no real Cap effect, they go up the same %. Some are tied to the Grant that the NRL gives to the Clubs.

I have never seen or heard of a player contract that goes up by a fixed % every year.

Worth keeping in mind that the Salary Cap usually goes up by the big amounts when the Broadcast Deals are announced and the current deal is for 5 years from 2023 until 2027. So I wouldn't expect a large increase in the Cap until then. The NRL can and does increase the Cap by small amounts in the years in between mostly due to their other (than Broadcast) revenue having gone up (eg; sales of tickets, merchandise etc) but it's not that common.

Always a Bulldog
There are some contracts (e.g Jack Wighton) that go up because they are slightly back-ended.

NRL has limited the amount of back-end contracts but allows it in certain instances where a team is going to otherwise go over...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There are some contracts (e.g Jack Wighton) that go up because they are slightly back-ended.

NRL has limited the amount of back-end contracts but allows it in certain instances where a team is going to otherwise go over...
There has to be specific reason/s for the increase being written into the contract. Cap compliance isn't one of them. For example younger players can get an increase as they age, playing a certain number of NRL games etc. There was one contract I know of that had a position based incentive, moving from say wing to fullback, which kicked in an increase. Of course there are bonuses for making finals, SOO and internationals.

Always a Bulldog