AB's thrash Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

fobsicle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3477085a10,00.html
~~~
The All Blacks moved a step closer to their grand slam with a 45-7 thrashing of Ireland at Dublin's Lansdowne Road today.

With wings Sitiveni Sivivatu and Doug Howlett crossing for two tries each, the All Blacks showed the vast gulf in pace, power and skill between the New Zealand and Irish games.

Despite being without first string players such as Tana Umaga, Daniel Carter, Jerry Collins, Carl Hayman, and Rodney So'oialo, the All Blacks were several classes above Ireland.

They played with passion, but that was never going to be enough against the black wave of All Black tacklers.

The result was obvious from the ninth minute when Sivivatu crossed for his first try and was never in doubt by the time he crossed for the second on the stroke of halftime.

The All Blacks went into the sheds leading 25-0 with busy halfback Piri Weepu also scoring, and they kept the pressure on in the second half with Howlett crossing for his two tries.

The score could have been greater had the video referee not disallowed another Howlett try and one to centre Ma'a Nonu, who had a mighty game with the ball in hand.

First five-eighth Nick Evans also impressed, landing eight from nine kicks at goal for 20 points, while openside flanker Richie McCaw showed he is almost without peer at the break down.

Others to stand out were lock Ali Williams, and second five-eighth Aaron Mauger whose ability to throw long cut out passes created plenty of space for his wings.

Taranaki lock Jason Eaton had a solid debut as did prop John Afoa.

For Ireland, prop Marcus Horan scored a consolation try on full time.

New Zealand thrashed Wales 41-3 last week and have to beat England next weekend and Scotland a week later to secure their first grand slam since 1978.

New Zealand 45
Tries: Sitiveni Sivivatu 2, Piri Weepu, Doug Howlett. Cons: Nick Evans 4. Pens: Nick Evans 4

Ireland 7
Try: Marcus Horan. Con: David Humphreys
~~~~
Anyone else wake up to see this one?? I woke up for the 2nd half... Meh it was so boring! Too bad we can't play like this in RWC.

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I knew we would win :D
I didnt wake up for it though
I didnt need to i still knew we would win, i can rely on the AB'S haha :D

My mum said Jimmy Cown *cough SOUTHLANDER cough* played a good game, for the last 20 minutes :D

Status
Not open for further replies.