ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Review of Bulldogs rape case

By Neil Mercer

February 18, 2007 12:00
Article from: The Sunday Telegraph
Send this article: Print Email
THREE years after rape allegations shattered the Bulldogs, a detective has written a book exposing rifts in the investigation team that dogged the case.
The 100,000 word manuscript, by former detective senior sergeant Gary McEvoy, gives for the first time a detailed behind-the-scenes view of the investigation, police infighting and the extraordinary number of leaks to the media.
The case took a huge toll on police involved - nine of the 10 detectives in the Coffs Harbour office in 2004 are no longer there.
Some, like McEvoy, who is now mowing lawns for a living, have been discharged medically unfit. Others are awaiting discharge or are on long-term sick leave.
McEvoy told The Sunday Telegraph he wrote the day-by-day account to refute suggestions the inquiry was flawed.
It mounts a convincing case that Bulldogs players were falsely accused of sexual assault.
He told The Sunday Telegraph that initially officers had little doubt about the version of events given by the then 20-year-old woman who said she had been gang raped by six or seven players.
The woman told police on Sunday, February 22, 2004, the assault had happened about 6.30am that day in the pool of the Pacific Bay Resort in Coffs Harbour.
But some detectives soon questioned her story after it was contradicted by independent eyewitnesses. At the end of the inquiry, some even wanted her charged with making false allegations.
But McEvoy says Detective Chief Inspector Jason Breton, the Coffs Harbour crime manager, and the public face of the inquiry, vetoed the idea.
McEvoy reveals how investigators were shocked at the beginning of the case when 2GB's Ray Hadley read out the woman's graphic allegations.
They had been recorded on the NSW Police COPS computer system and then leaked.
McEvoy says in his manuscript, which he is hoping to get published: "The problem was the (COPS) report was based on untested allegations. Who knows, they could all be lies.''
He also believes that senior police in Sydney were apparently influenced by the media frenzy that accompanied the case.
On February 25, 2004, the head of forensic services, Superintendent Phil Flogel, had made contact.
McEvoy says Flogel explained "the allegations were 'red hot' news in Sydney and he had been advised to provide all assistance possible to us to clear the matter as quickly as possible''.
McEvoy says: "I was later told that many serious cases which had been waiting for some time ... were temporarily put to one side.
"This demonstrates the role of the media in setting police priorities. The sex allegations were of a high priority but I question whether a homicide investigation should be pushed to one side for the benefit of our case.''
According to McEvoy, who spent 23 years in the NSW Police, "troubling signs'' about the veracity of the woman's story emerged within three days.
"We were getting good evidence of an incident of consensual sex but not of a pack rape.
"In fact, we were getting nothing to suggest any crime had occurred at all.''
McEvoy says the woman's girlfriend had not backed her claims. The friend had been with one of the players in the resort that night. He says she was "far from supportive of the alleged victim.
"No specific reasons were given - but she appeared to hold some doubt over the victim's allegations.''
In addition, the alleged victim changed her story several times in the course of making several official statements.
McEvoy says such were the conflicts, police at one stage thought there must have been two incidents, one consensual and one rape. But the evidence did not stack up.
He says Insp Breton was told early on "that there were serious concerns about the authenticity of the allegations''.
"Despite the early warning signs, his aggressive media strategy continued unabated.''
As to the woman's motive for possibly making up the story, he says she had been insulted by one player some hours earlier.
She was again insulted just minutes after the alleged attack, with another player allegedly saying, "what the f*** are you doing here. I thought we got rid of you.''
McEvoy says Detective Leading Senior Constable Glen Pearce was second in charge of the investigation.
"Glen felt the victim had made a false report,'' he says.
"He also believed there was sufficient evidence to at least investigate her for 'make false allegation' or public mischief.''
McEvoy says that Pearce, who has also left the police force, put in a report stating, in part: "... I am concerned that politics and the media are playing a dominant role in police decision-making ...''
McEvoy says the police media unit arranged a photo of the Coffs Harbour detectives arriving in Sydney even though some of the officers were unhappy about being photographed.
Once, a briefing minute was prepared for the office of the deputy commissioner. It was faxed to the deputy and the northern region office.
"Within the hour, material contained within that document was in the hands of certain members of the media.''
He said he had asked senior police to stand up and say publicly the investigation was sound and demonstrably so. But none had supported the front-line officers.

Faz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Summary Please. I really cant be bothered.

Sorry

purpleskittles

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If you take time to read the article you will find it is actually about Gary Mcevoy - the officer who is writing hte book to expose how politics and media influenced a case which was non existent after about 48 hrs.

My assumption is that the book will be released very soon hence the reason behind the article.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Exactly, it isnt saying that we did it or bullsh!t like that. Its saying how it was the media and politics that played a major role in the investigation and that pretty early on the cops knw they had no case. It says the girl who alleged the attacks, didnt even have the story backed up by her friend who was with her, and also says how 9 of the 10 detectives are longer working for the force, should be an interesting read even though i am soooooooooooo over the whole coffs thing.

F R 3 D 5 7 A

√ [ό] √
Reaction score
I hope they pursue this story with 10 continous pages of coverage for the next 10 weeks.

Thats we endured, when it was known from very early on, the allegation would not hold. The media kept pursuing its own agenda.

I think the Bulldogs should start legal proceedings against the Daily Telegraph in particular, for defamation. And we should start legal action against the NRL to recoup the $500 000 fine that was imposed, and the consquential loss of sponsors, $$$ etc etc.

We should sue the woman for false allegation and defamation.

And on another point, the NRL should be ashamed of itself. They owe us a public apology. Not once did they support the club through the allegations. But were quick to slap us with a monsterous fine.

Although, this certainly clears up alot of what us Bulldog supporters probably already knew, unfortunately mud sticks.

This version by Mr McEvoy will be swept under the carpet and never heard of again.

We will have to wear the "rap1sts" tag for a little while longer.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Well said mate, agree with everything you have said.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
That hurt what happened to us and there was no need for it. I remember every time i wore a dogs jersey, i got called a rap*st. Wasnt the best feeling, i think the dogs should get a lot of money out of this. I cant wait to read the book, im glad the real detective stood up!

purpleskittles

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fredsta I believe the club sought to take action against the DT esp with Rebecca Wilson, however an agreement was made they can no longer print anything as FACT without the story being cleared by the club first. Any opinion pieces are OK, however anything they try to print as FACT must get a clearance or contact they club so they are able to give the facts.

On the NRL - I couldn't agree more, what is more saddening is that it was clear bias. Melbourne had allegations not long after and I believe Gallops reaction was "they are still innocent and we will let the investigation be complete first before deciding on anything" or to that reasoning, nothing was heard of it after that.

On top of lost sponsorhip the Bulldogs also went over the cap slightly that year because they didnt recieve there bonus that year in terms of sponsorships therefor some money going to players was deemed as to go over.

M

Mr Miyagi

Gallop is a c*ck and deserves to have his head dunked in a toilet full of sewer particles LOL

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Leave gallop the brainless motherfcuker alone, its not his fault his father is also his brother!

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
The damage that whore did with our club is ir-repairable, the gossip and hate she generated cannot be taken back, she should be damned to hell for her lies!! Justice will be done the day she gets hit by a semi trailer.

M

Mr Miyagi

The damage that whore did with our club is ir-repairable, the gossip and hate she generated cannot be taken back, she should be damned to hell for her lies!! Justice will be done the day she gets hit by a semi trailer.
The semi trailor will just get swallowed by the black hole :D

Just Me

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And even more so, from a woman's point of view - crying rape when it didn't even happen makes it even more difficult for a woman who HAS been raped to come forward and for justice to be served...

M

Mr Miyagi

And even more so, from a woman's point of view - crying rape when it didn't even happen makes it even more difficult for a woman who HAS been raped to come forward and for justice to be served...
True that
I know a women who cried rape who was a neighbour.
The poor guy did nothing she just wanted to get back at him for some dumb reason .
The guy copped a beating and a half.
Then all the idiots caught her out lying and admited the guy did nothing.
F#cken hoe

M

Mr Miyagi

Thats why you get the consent contract before sex like in the david chappelle show LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.