Abdo finally gets a run on the board

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bernie Sutton was going to be involved in a coaching capacity for QLD.

Abdo called him - told him if he is going to remain in that role, then his brother will be axed as ref for game II.

Solid stuff. Finally, can say something good about our CEO.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bernie Sutton was going to be involved in a coaching capacity for QLD.

Abdo called him - told him if he is going to remain in that role, then his brother will be axed as ref for game II.

Solid stuff. Finally, can say something good about our CEO.
How Sutton is a SOO ref is beyond me (maybe a bookie can tell me why). If Bernie has already being doing things with QLD, then Gerard should have been removed.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You can't punish someone because of the action of their brother. There needs to be a punishment for Bernie Sutton if anyone. I actually don't rate this at all.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You can't punish someone because of the action of their brother. There needs to be a punishment for Bernie Sutton if anyone. I actually don't rate this at all.
You don’t think, in any way shape or form, that there is a conflict of interest that the brother of a ref in a deciding Origin match is in the camp of one of the competing teams, in a refereeing coach capacity?

Also - how they can punish Bernie. He’s not got a job with the NRL anymore

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You don’t think, in any way shape or form, that there is a conflict of interest that the brother of a ref in a deciding Origin match is in the camp of one of the competing teams, in a refereeing coach capacity?

Also - how they can punish Bernie. He’s not got a job with the NRL anymore
I think it's the wrong decision/poor form to punish someone for their brothers actions that you can't control yourself. I have no issue with not allowing Bernie Sutton to help QLD and/or punish him if he did so. If you can't punish Bernie short or long term, then bad luck I guess. The principle is wrong.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
I think it's the wrong decision/poor form to punish someone for their brothers actions that you can't control yourself. I have no issue with not allowing Bernie Sutton to help QLD and/or punish him if he did so. If you can't punish Bernie short or long term, then bad luck I guess. The principle is wrong.
By all means let Bernie Sutton have dealings with QLD SOO. But fuck his arselicking brother off out of the officials for the series. Got me fucked how the rancid little runt gets a gig anyhow. He's one of the worst of a horrendously shit, inept, corrupt bunch.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As you touched on - they cannot punish him as he is no longer employed by the NRL. The Badger worked with the NSW team for game I (and I would imagine Game II) - but his wife isn't officiating in any capacity. Ergo, not a conflict of interest.

Yes, it would suck for Gerry. But having his own brother in that position gives him a potential leg up.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Take NRL to court for loss of income... BUT we are all overlooking the biggest point... being that the NRL are calling out the integrity of their own ref! Something they fine clubs for!!
Yes and of course the NRLol worried about the "look" of the refs bro acting for Qld....yet partners and sponsors being betting agencies is NOT duplicitous? The irony.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not a fan of the Suttons, but if true, this would be an overreach by Abdo TBH.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not a fan of the Suttons, but if true, this would be an overreach by Abdo TBH.
How so?

Let me provide you a similar scenario for some context. Every year, the PBS gets hundreds if not thousands of requests to have products placed on the PBS. Or even the National Immunisation Program. If I was a government official in charge of approving drugs on the PBS or the NIP - and my brother was the head of a Pharma division in launching new products in line for PBS or NIP approval... would you be okay with that?

It would be extremely uncomfortable pill to swallow if QLD dominate the results from a referee performance (penalties, 6 agains, sin bins etc) if this was to go ahead - a hell of a lot of people would be asking questions regarding why was Gerry allowed to continue in that role, considering he has a family member in one of the camps.

Abdo is just removing the possibility of any bias coming into play, consciously or sub-consciously.

EzyB

Banned
Reaction score
The whole family is corrupt. Axe the lot off them.