A BAN on cars in the heart of Sydney CBD is one step closer.40klm zones.pushbikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fredie

A BAN on cars in the heart of Sydney CBD is one step closer :nervous: Plan to ban cars from Sydney CBD Three piazzas, pedestrian route, cycle lanes Queensland: Brisbane's public transport woes

A BAN on cars in the heart of Sydney CBD is one step closer, with Lord Mayor Clover Moore determined to transform busy thoroughfares into a pedestrian-friendly meeting point.

Sydney City Council is calling for tenders in its bid to bring to life renowned urbanist Jan Gehl's vision for the city.

Should all cities go car free? Tell us below

The council is hoping to emulate New York, which has banned cars from Broadway, and cycle-friendly Copenhagen, to give Sydney a real main street. It hopes to gazette work for three piazzas at Town Hall, Circular Quay and Railway Square next year.

Speed limits will be dropped to 40km/h in the city heart and traffic lights reset to give pedestrians more time to cross the road.

Mr Gehl, in the new Sustainable Sydney 2030 The Vision report, said Sydney's heart was choking on noise and fumes of the "international combustion engine".

"What do you value more, your people or your cars? If you say 'people', then you need to unlock the centre of your city so it becomes a place that people will want to go and a place that welcomes everybody - workers, children, old people and students," he said.

About 78,000 cars drive into the city via the Sydney Harbour Bridge each day, RTA statistics reveal, clogging up roads at a cost of $4 billion annually, as a million people work their way through congested streets. That figure is expected to double to $8 billion in the next decade under a do-nothing scenario.

Ms Moore said: "We are working on a new hierarchy of city streets, from walking streets such as Pitt St and parts of Market St to streets that both pedestrians and cars can share, to streets that can carry cars, light rail, buses and bikes while still maintaining safety and amenity.

"We are constructing the brief for the future use and design of George St as a pedestrian and public transport route with the goal to it becoming Sydney's new civic spine, linking our 2030 vision of three linked squares."

New bike paths are already being cut into car-choked streets to meet a three-year deadline to build a 200km network in the city. "End of trip" stations will be built into government buildings so cyclists can change and shower before work.

"We are building a bicycle network and it will be built in the next three years," Ms Moore said. :nervous:

M

MikeyP..

Awesome. I'm sick of having to dodge retardedly fast cars, when i'm crossing the streets near central and town hall station.

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
I won't even drive in Sydney whenever I am in Town at all (neither will my Mother - and both my parents learnt how to drive in Sydney).

I usually stay with an Uncle of mine (accomodation in Sydney for me is never an issue as I have no shortage of Rellies who will put me up) and he isn't far from the Janalli Train Station and all I have to do is walk there and decide if I want to go to Miranda Fair or into the City.

I must admit....Townsville isn't any better.....Depending on the time of day and what is on.

F

fredie

yes maybe bann cars in the city. pushbikes rule the roads baby :p

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
You have a point Mr Invbisible......

There is such a thing as Foot and Bicycle Couriers (I used to be one and also the only one around my town)....Or there used to be.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
They do exist, not as much these days.
Sydney's CBD is a joke, ppl walk when they shouldn't, that's why traffoc goes so damn slow, cause ******s walk in front of buses and cars when they should wait 30 seconds til its safe to cross the road.

I am a BDM, have meetings from CBD to Country NSW (PArkes) all the time, i drive a lot and the CBD is the worst by far

Mighty_Matt

Waterboy
Reaction score
No cars will make my job easier....but then again padestrians are just as crazy, crossing the roads and not looking....narly run over plenty....especially when they are listening to ipods or on teh phone, its amazing how many people walk on teh road and expect to be able to cross against the lights and the cars will just stop for them!>...
But it will suck if I cant drive my car to work :(....

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
i agree about the jay walkers running in front of cars buses and trams to cross streets when the pedestrian light says DONT WALK!.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
Clover Moore is nothing but a stupid rug munching greenie *****.

Seriously... she's ****ing mental.

I'm in the IT tech business. I attend to clients all over Sydney (some of which are in the areas she mentions). Does the silly turd expect me to lug 10-15 kgs of IT gear (laptop bag, toolbag full of diagnostic gear, crate with hardware in it), and sometimes 60kg + Servers and UPS's via public transport?

Then there are IT based seminars which are normally in the city as well.

Bike tracks: Most people DONT RIDE TO WORK.

How will couriers operate in those areas?

and 40kph for inner city traffic. LOL has the cow even seen the CBD at peak hours? 40kph .. I WISH!!!!

There isn't a problem with pedestrians and the city. There IS a problem with people wandering aimlessly all over the f**king road, or not looking at the big red man which means "DONT FRIGGING WALK".

Instead of taking cars off the CBD streets, get more police/council rangers out there nabbing people for jaywalking.

How the **** does that cost them money?

Lets say 78,000 cars x $8 toll (both to and from each day). That is $640,000 a DAY in tolls, or $227,760,000 ($227 million) per year in toll based revenue. Given they are struggling for money at the moment, taking $227 million from the NSW government each year will bankrupt it. No if's, no buts.

The sooner Clover Whore goes and someone with a brain between their ears takes her place, the better.

Oh and FWIW Sydney's CBD is pretty much the worst in Aus I reckon.
i think the streets should be one way each way to help traffic

say george street all 4 lanes one way to the rocks and the streets next to them one way all the way back

all i have to say is thank god that my area for work has changed and i look after nsw north and queensland now hahahaha so everything north of parra river and the harbour bridge is mine no more city meetings

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
Clover Moore is nothing but a stupid rug munching greenie *****.

Seriously... she's ****ing mental.

I'm in the IT tech business. I attend to clients all over Sydney (some of which are in the areas she mentions). Does the silly turd expect me to lug 10-15 kgs of IT gear (laptop bag, toolbag full of diagnostic gear, crate with hardware in it), and sometimes 60kg + Servers and UPS's via public transport?

Then there are IT based seminars which are normally in the city as well.

Bike tracks: Most people DONT RIDE TO WORK.

How will couriers operate in those areas?

and 40kph for inner city traffic. LOL has the cow even seen the CBD at peak hours? 40kph .. I WISH!!!!

There isn't a problem with pedestrians and the city. There IS a problem with people wandering aimlessly all over the f**king road, or not looking at the big red man which means "DONT FRIGGING WALK".

Instead of taking cars off the CBD streets, get more police/council rangers out there nabbing people for jaywalking.

How the **** does that cost them money?

Lets say 78,000 cars x $8 toll (both to and from each day). That is $640,000 a DAY in tolls, or $227,760,000 ($227 million) per year in toll based revenue. Given they are struggling for money at the moment, taking $227 million from the NSW government each year will bankrupt it. No if's, no buts.

The sooner Clover Whore goes and someone with a brain between their ears takes her place, the better.

Oh and FWIW Sydney's CBD is pretty much the worst in Aus I reckon.
well said man.

how many people walk on every city street without waiting for the lights to go off...she thinks making more walk ways and bike tracks will help but it wont.

its just going to cause more traffic in the city because the cars will have less streets to go through to get to where they want.

she is trying to make sydney like Copenhagen but the dumb ***** hasn't realized that sydney and Copenhagen are 2 totally different cities with 2 totally different lay out.

what works in one city doesnt mean it will work in every city.

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
I remember seeing two girls getting almost run over by a car once....They were jaywalking too.

This was right near that park near the Church in the CBD (can't remember the name of that park...Reid or Moore Park). I was there for the Centenary of Federation parade New Years Day in 2001 with some Rellies, my Sister and their Neighbours.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
i think the streets should be one way each way to help traffic

say george street all 4 lanes one way to the rocks and the streets next to them one way all the way back.
In theory it would work if Sydney was all square blocks, but because it isn't, it'd be a real mess.

The city streets already have one lane (in areas) as Bus only, which means it's one less lane for traffic (of which most are cars not buses).

For finding places it would be a nightmare to.

well said man.

how many people walk on every city street without waiting for the lights to go off...she thinks making more walk ways and bike tracks will help but it wont.

its just going to cause more traffic in the city because the cars will have less streets to go through to get to where they want.

she is trying to make sydney like Copenhagen but the dumb ***** hasn't realized that sydney and Copenhagen are 2 totally different cities with 2 totally different lay out.

what works in one city doesnt mean it will work in every city.
Spot on, and fully agree.

I think she needs to hand over to someone who is capable of looking after the entire city area decently.

She's too busy thinking about green this, and green that, and how to cut down carbon offset of cars and garbage like that.

What she should concentrate on, is WHY there are so many problems with cars around the city.

If you move the traffic freely around the city, then there is less congestion.

Ideally they should have longer traffic light times for cars to move then out of the city cbd faster. Heck, build pedestrian walkways if need be, so cars and people can move freely around.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What a stupid idea

Its called the Central Business District for a reason.

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
I remember seeing two girls getting almost run over by a car once....They were jaywalking too.

This was right near that park near the Church in the CBD (can't remember the name of that park...Reid or Moore Park). I was there for the Centenary of Federation parade New Years Day in 2001 with some Rellies, my Sister and their Neighbours.
hyde park

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If people just waited for the green walk light, and people weren't retarded drivers and perhaps planned and looked at a map properly do they don't have to shoot across 3 lanes to only end up lfying through a red light into the wrong end of a one way street...perhaps there wouldn't be as many issues. People who drive to the city realise it will be congested, that is the price they pay, deal with it!

I never drive into the city, headache galore, stupid drivers and limited or expensive parking. It literally is easier to catch a train.

F

fredie

what about what they do in london uk . congestion tax . you must pay expensive toll fee to enter the CBD

Status
Not open for further replies.