8.5 million to spend,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to keep a close eye on Valentine Holmes if he makes the final cut of 53 in the NFL. Apparently there isn't alot of confidence that he will make it. He has to be a priority

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Imagine getting a rockstar fullback 8 years later?!?

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will hopefully buy some players this off season that will knock that number down a little bit.
How much of our cap do we have to spend. Is there a minimum amount clubs need to use.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
How much of our cap do we have to spend. Is there a minimum amount clubs need to use.
I got no idea how much we will have free but you have to spend 95% of the cap as a minimum.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Look Tolman will struggle another 2 years down the track all the extra hit ups on the 4th tackle from 5 metres out are going to take there toll.

An aggressive metre eating prop like Taupau or Fonua Blake (maybe 2 and use Napa from the bench with Ogden)
Marquee centre Xerri or Curtis Scott , Manu
A Good hooker to improve the spine and
If possible a good half if available. If not resign Foran on significantly less money and persist with Wakeman and Lewis when he’s out injured.

That will make a big difference with some money left in the kitty to stay active in the player market the following years.

Agree with above no 2nd rowers we are in good shape there.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got no idea how much we will have free but you have to spend 95% of the cap as a minimum.
Are u serious...what if u want to save the money for the right players that come along.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are u serious...what if u want to save the money for the right players that come along.
We have until June 30 next year though to finalise everything.

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need to look at a team like the Storm. They have always had a great spine and built around that. We need to do the same.

At least one marquee half who can control a game, a dynamic hooker and a fullback who can make an impact. The problem will be finding these players who are mostly all locked up where they are.
We need a marquee halve to partner Lewis and stear him around

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one key for us is to develop some quality juniors. The successful teams are the ones that continue to do that. As much as I hate the roosters, for every star they buy , they develop one as well. It’s been about 7 years since our last batch of good juniors. We are finally heading in the right direction with this.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
From our current 1st grade squad, re-sign;
Jackson
DWZ
Remis Smith
Brandon Wakeham (our future)
JMK
Sue

Target hit list;
Christian Welch
Luke Thompson
David Fifita
Thomas Flegler
Siosiua Taekeiaho
Ryan Papenhuyzen
Joseph Manu
Latrell Mitchell

Definitely would not re-sign
Lichaa, Hopoate, Montoya, Holland, Foran, Fualalo, Chris Smith, Brown, Olive

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The one key for us is to develop some quality juniors. The successful teams are the ones that continue to do that. As much as I hate the roosters, for every star they buy , they develop one as well. It’s been about 7 years since our last batch of good juniors. We are finally heading in the right direction with this.
And it is 7 years ago exactly that Hasler took over and decided it'd be a good idea to neglect our Junior system for 5 years straight.

Thankfully this Board understands the importance of identifying and producing junior talent and establishing strong junior networks and pathway systems.

Last edited:

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And it is 7 years ago exactly that Hasler took over and decided it'd be a good idea to neglect our Junior system for 5 years straight.

Thankfully this Board understands the importance of producing junior talent and establishing strong junior networks and pathway systems.
Yeah ok, enough with your shit talk! Roosters, Sharks, Storm have shit junior development and have still been successful.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Targets
Representative players (NSW, QLD, AUS, NZ)
-Oates
-Welch
-David Fifita
-Cotric
-Arrow
-Jake Trbojevic
-Tom Trbojevic
-Manu
-Latrell

Potential (Roosters, Storm, Broncos)
-Turpin
-Flegler
-Staggs
-Croft
-Grant
-Papenhuyzen
-Butcher
-Lam (?)

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is the million dollar question, I mean 8.5m question, Anderson’s allowed us to bleed out with vision of being born again, however how can you grab 8.5m worth of talent in one go??? I’d argue the sort of talent we needs takes a few years to assemble, therefore expect us to be a basket case for a lot lot longer.

Sure we had a cap issue but we cut the wrong players at the wrong time I reckon. I want to believe the club have a plan but I see no evidence of it. A few posters give some cryptic messages that a lot will happen over next 6 months but just can’t see it.

The Board and Senior Management Group have not rebuilt a club before, they are chasing unicorns
Chris Anderson was among the power brokers that got the Storm up and running. It's part of the reason I think the board we have in place should be persevered with. They're actively investing in whole regions to get more talented juniors in our system.

Securing 8.5 million dollars worth of talent won't be easy. But I dare say we'll see some potential stars join us for opportunities and money to bring them over won't get in the way. Aside from that we can probably get Curtis Rona level of quality from clubs that are overstocked in certain positions. Add to that a couple of marquee players and the future will look brighter.

I think we'll wind up still having a young team in 2021. But it will hopefully be a young team with plenty of talented players that we've lured over from other clubs. It's getting a bit annoying that people are writing us off for years to come because the current board had to work within the confines of the salary cap (which was screwed up already due to the old board trying to buy another shot at running the show).

The big sticking point right now is that Pay and the team haven't gotten positive results. But the many opinions of supposed league experts was that we were red hot favourites for the wooden spoon with our roster and coach. So why people are surprised is a mystery to me.

Prior to the season I saw things going one of two ways. We were either going to start on fire and give our young roster self belief. Or we'd have a shit start and the youngsters wouldn't have much self belief. Sadly it was the latter. Even with a strong start achieving a finals berth was a big ask. Ultimately if we wind up finding three or four youngsters to keep beyond 2020 it's a decent start to the rebuild. We'll need to retain the best of our established players and some reasonable depth. So hopefully 8.5 million can be wisely invested on 10-15 players. A mix of high quality youth, established talent and some marquee players.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Insanity to think we can acquire 10 to 15 new players in an offseason and mould them into a competitive squad with our remaining 15 to 20 players. Playing structure varies so much team to team. Part of getting the best out of your squad is understanding different players respond differently to fitness and coaching techniques too. The Coach has to get to know all his players and grow close to them to determine what makes them tick.
All that said its important we have a 9 and 7 who will steer us around. Id love us to get a Josh Hodgson...maybe also from Super League.
Are the present admin creating too false an expectation of a drastic improvement in fortune in 2021? Especially when you consider no self respecting elite player would be particularly eager to join us.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Insanity to think we can acquire 10 to 15 new players in an offseason and mould them into a competitive squad with our remaining 15 to 20 players. Playing structure varies so much team to team. Part of getting the best out of your squad is understanding different players respond differently to fitness and coaching techniques too. The Coach has to get to know all his players and grow close to them to determine what makes them tick.
All that said its important we have a 9 and 7 who will steer us around. Id love us to get a Josh Hodgson...maybe also from Super League.
Are the present admin creating too false an expectation of a drastic improvement in fortune in 2021? Especially when you consider no self respecting elite player would be particularly eager to join us.
The truth is that these days so many rep games take place that a lot of good players get slotted into different teams multiple times every year. Knowing instinctively what your team mates will do comes with time. But players are far more adaptable than you'd think. It's just a matter of ensuring that the playmaking group have an idea of what works with their backs. I think we'll be setting up as many trials as we can with a huge roster turnover. I'm liking the idea of recruiting Koroisau since he's played in enough different sides to have become adaptable.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah ok, enough with your shit talk! Roosters, Sharks, Storm have shit junior development and have still been successful.
All three of those clubs are pretty good at junior development to be honest. The Sharks have had great success in the lower grades and other two clubs have a good eye for talent in the juniors. You just have to look at the amount of players that have made their debut at those clubs to see they get junior development right.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Roosters - Mitchell, Manu, Friend, Cordner, Friend, RTS, Aubusson, Napa, Pearce

Sharks - Townsend, Xerri, Nikora, Brailey bros, Flanagan

Storm - Smith, Cronk, Slater, Munster, B. Smith, Hughes, Croft

All players came through the clubs SG ball side as a minimum.

Theres a lot more, though you should get the drift.

We had a plague of talent come through our system, especially in the forwards, up until Hasler arrived with that fat fuck cleal.

Since there arrival we have developed crap through our system.

Add more of that cheese from haslers sausage to your hubbly bubbly

Status
Not open for further replies.