7 tackle set restart should be dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think its a stupid rule and gives teams a free piggy back ride down to the length of the field. Its already enough of an advantage when teams get to restart on the 20m but to give them an extra tackle is stupid and makes it so easy for teams to get out of jail when you get a kick wrong and it goes dead in goal or when player knocks on in-goal whilst attempting to score a try. It should be changed.

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't be a problem if we didn't have ben roberts 2.0 kicking for us (mbye).

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It sucks, you can tell some players are choosing to run on the last as its the safer option.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I reckon go one step more.

Remove the 7th tackle restart, but make it a 20m tap if it goes dead, OR if its caught in goal (jumping from field of play or otherwise).

That'd stop all these boring "bomb and hope for the best" plays.

Blue&White

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rule should be changed that if you kick the ball within 20m of the opposition try line then it doesn't apply. But outside of 20m then it should as it should stop deliberate kicks out.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like it , it benefits teams with stronger packs otherwise you just get kicking fairies .

I think it's the reason why our comp is so close .

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Get rid of all "zero tackle" situations imo.

nikgan123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree with Wolfmother. if you can't kick that's your own problem and you'll have to defend for karma

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
the 7 tackle set is good, it then comes up to the ability of the kickers to prevent this happening, if we had the best halves who were spot on with their kicks, then this post would never come up

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree......it gives way to big of an advantage. Its ridiculous.....just because a kick may role 6 inches too far over the dead ball line the opposing side gets a piggy back all the way down into the opposition 20...and in many cases they score off it. While they are at it I think they should get rid of the kick for touch for ruck infringements......just restart the tackle count on the run. Still keep it for fowl play though.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
I thought it was to stop people kicking it dead deliberately, so why is it also for a knock on?

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Agreed especially the 20 meter restart one, way too easy for teams defending to get punished back down the field from a 70-80 meter set against them.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It needs to be refined...teams could be just an inch away from scoring but they have a slight knock on or the ball is grounded on the line and they are massively punished. Attacking kicks should not fall under the 7 tackle set restart imo.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This smacks of 'we have a rubbish kicking game and it should be scrapped because we are too stupid.' I couldn't believe it last night...here I was sitting here at home watching the play at the 77th minute or so from Mbye and said to my wife: 'watch this, this idiot will go high and risk it getting caught on the full in goal and giving away 20 metres and 7 tackles rather than rolling a grubber in and making them go at least 95 metres to win.' Sure enough...
You just can't legislate against stupidity.
Dont worry NBD some people of here will tell you he will have a good kicking game in a few years, we just have to wait it out and see..........

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Regardless of wether our kicking game is good or shit, the rule is shit. It's not limiting the situations it set out to.
It was introduced to stop teams 'icing' the ball (kicking dead deliberately to stop dangerous fullbacks returning the ball) but it has stopped teams using the short attacking kick because the penalty for getting it wrong is too harsh.
IMO it should only apply when the ball is kicked from outside the attacking 40.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You my friend are a funny b*stard :grinning:
I know there's a heap of difference sitting on the lounge and calling shots rather than being on the field with blokes running at you while you are trying to kick BUT the good ones do think plays ahead. They seem to have time. Blind Freddy knew the right play was possession based and down the Knights end. He would have been better off rolling it over the sideline 10 metres out. Anything other than a 20 metre restart. We weren't chasing points, why bomb it? His kicking game from half time onwards was ABYSSMAL. I lost count the number of times he put in 20-25 metre grubbers on the last in lieu of a decent kick. The Knights wingers and Mamo simply returned the thing almost with interest every time. Gave the defensive line and chasers no time to set a cordon...he better improve 1000% or he can shove that $800K where Blake Fingerson's finger can't reach.
I was agreeing with you, our kicking game is arse. Didn't he kick out on the full as well? Our kicking game was shit last year as well but we still made the GF, hopefully with cook,mbye and reynolds running game we can blow some teams off the park before other coaches can come up with a game plan to stop it. Next year will be a worry though.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mbye is not the future and neither is Lichaa.. The future is Cook and Rona

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rule should be changed that if you kick the ball within 20m of the opposition try line then it doesn't apply. But outside of 20m then it should as it should stop deliberate kicks out.
This is the most obvious solution to it.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You my friend are a funny b*stard :grinning:
I know there's a heap of difference sitting on the lounge and calling shots rather than being on the field with blokes running at you while you are trying to kick BUT the good ones do think plays ahead. They seem to have time. Blind Freddy knew the right play was possession based and down the Knights end. He would have been better off rolling it over the sideline 10 metres out. Anything other than a 20 metre restart. We weren't chasing points, why bomb it? His kicking game from half time onwards was ABYSSMAL. I lost count the number of times he put in 20-25 metre grubbers on the last in lieu of a decent kick. The Knights wingers and Mamo simply returned the thing almost with interest every time. Gave the defensive line and chasers no time to set a cordon...he better improve 1000% or he can shove that $800K where Blake Fingerson's finger can't reach.
Well I was just about tearing my hair out at the roots when some of those kicks were put in. You are right; you have to know exactly what type of kick suits a particular situation and unfortunately with a few of them they didn't and we were lucky that they did not cost us. I miss Shifty Sherwin, now there was a kicking game.

PS: How do we know where Blake Fingerson's finger can't reach? For all we know it may be far reaching. Lol. .

Status
Not open for further replies.