51, 686 - Biggest Sydney crowd for a regular season game since 1967

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
I couldn't see a thread on this and I do think it was mentioned in the match thread and this does deserve a thread on its own.

I wasn't at the game on Friday as I was at Energy Australia Stadium to watch the Wanderers wrap up the Premier's Plate in their first season which is really re-markable for any sporting franchise to have this much success in the first year.

However, I recorded the live coverage of the game from my phone and listened to it on the way back from the Wanderers game. During the near end of the game they announced the crowd figures of 51, 686, the biggest crowd in Sydney for a regular game since 1967 when the Dragons played the Sharks at the old SCG when they had just over 50k.

And I reckon it is an honour for us to hold this record but to also hold the 2 of the top 3 crowd attendance.

For those who went, well done I'm sure the atmosphere would have been great with 2 traditional teams with large fan base being there.

Looking forward to Friday night against the Seagulls :grinning:

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't go to the game either just wanted it on tele, the crowd looked insane I have to say. Very impressed

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Atmosphere was pretty subdued IMO considering.

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Atmosphere was pretty subdued IMO considering.
I agree. The crowd was very poor vocally, I think the club must do more to help supporters with learning chants and maybe have the grounds announcer get the crowd going also.

Stanna man

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I agree. The crowd was very poor vocally, I think the club must do more to help supporters with learning chants and maybe have the grounds announcer get the crowd going also.
I don't think any one knows the club song,,,
it's too long and not catchy, I like the sharkies one, when the whole crowd gets involved sounds good I must admit.n

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Didn't help where The Kennel is moved to (thats another thread though).

But I think many people went to Easter Show and then the game, or vice versa. So they got free travel to the show with their Easter Show tickets, if they have membership (Souths or Dogs) they got in for free (reciprocal away game for Souths), and then enjoyed $18.50 entry into the Easter Show after the game.

I didn't bother attempting to leave the carpark until an hr after the game as it was completely packed (even on the top open air level of P1).

But in the end an excellent result in terms of crowds :grinning:

MrDogzOfWar

Dogz At War!
Reaction score
I went to the game, and how packed was it... A crowd of 51,686 is huge!!

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Did they end up having to pack up the 3 bays of banners each end behind the posts ??

I seen some taken away to make room ...

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
The group of rabbits supporters behind me were some of the biggest animals I have come across. Foul language the whole game, I had my kids with me and there were heaps of other families around us also.

ninja_h

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No the atmosphere looked great on TV but was dead quiet in stadium. Rabbitohs fans were louder than us. At some point I was scratching my head wondering if I should start chanting...

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No the atmosphere looked great on TV but was dead quiet in stadium. Rabbitohs fans were louder than us. At some point I was scratching my head wondering if I should start chanting...
The problem is that our fans are either lazy or embarrassed to chant in the game. I'm always trying to get the crowd around me chanting "bulldogs bulldogs" is it doesn't last more then 10 seconds.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Didn't help where The Kennel is moved to (thats another thread though).

But I think many people went to Easter Show and then the game, or vice versa. So they got free travel to the show with their Easter Show tickets, if they have membership (Souths or Dogs) they got in for free (reciprocal away game for Souths), and then enjoyed $18.50 entry into the Easter Show after the game.

I didn't bother attempting to leave the carpark until an hr after the game as it was completely packed (even on the top open air level of P1).

But in the end an excellent result in terms of crowds :grinning:
I do say that the atmosphere from bulldogs end looked quite dead and not many cheers for the bulldogs going around either which sounded quite depressing..

sjay91

Waterboy
Reaction score
The group of rabbits supporters behind me were some of the biggest animals I have come across. Foul language the whole game, I had my kids with me and there were heaps of other families around us also.
If you were sitting in aisle 114 then i agree, they are the kind of scum that start the trouble because they've had a couple of drinks in the sun. They were antagonizing and you knew they wanted to start a fight. A bulldog would have thrown the first punch and we would be the ones in trouble. Lucky we are smarter than that these days

I'm going to say it.
Isn't it about time we let go of the "everywhere we go" chant?
I have seen the army website and they have some great chants, but yeah we need to have all of the passionate/vocal supporters in the one area of the ground.
People need to have humility and sing the chants, even if it means carrying around a song book.
IMHO i think Greenberg has tried to get the team song going (in the annual report and the words are played on the big screen).
Anyone have a differing opinion?

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a great experience to be part of such a massive crowd in only round 4.

I have a season ticket but had to buy tickets for friends and stupidly did it at the game, like hundreds, if not thousands more. I don't remember seeing such long lines to buy tickets and the crowd to get inside seemed like it was barely moving. This all told me it was gonna be a huge crowd.

I expected them to postpone kickoff a bit and expected to hear a cheer when that happened but was surprised to see it was ten into the game when we found our seats. And the crowd was unusually quiet throughout. It was very strange. I didn't hear the vermin chatter til they scored their first try but was down near the kennel so pretty much opposite ends. In the last 20 or so more of them were vocal. The ones in the upper deck, but that's only because they were winning.

I don't get why 99% of "fans" only cheer something good. One of my main reasons for going to games is to encourage the team. I guess it's just the way people are these days or they're simply not that enthusiastic about the game. At least they made the effort to go to the match. I've spent most of the last few seasons in aisle 111 and the crowd participation was about the same on Friday as usual. One of the problems was, whenever a chant started it went out of sync quickly. Difficult to keep that many voices in sync I spose. It's up to the fans to get into it more, but one thing the club could do to help is really build up the prematch to get people fired up. Whether it be highlights or fireworks, or whatever. They have one of the biggest membership base but aren't spending much on this.

another strange thing about the day, I parked in P1 and got in and out in no time. Must have just been lucky I guess.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't get how it's the biggest since 1967? The OP seems to suggest the 1967 crowd was smaller?

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Someone has to say it, you guys all want a Wanderers type atmosphere or Sydney FC atmosphere at the Bulldogs game... It will never happen, Why?

A large amount of supporters of WSW/Sydney FC don't go to watch the game, they go for the atmosphere... Soccer as a sport, not much happens for 80-90% of the games, hence the crowd 80-90% of the game just chant, turn there backs, jump up and down, take off there shirts etc... At a Bulldogs game, the fans who go have been passionate supporters for years and years (Even generations) not one year or 6 years... they go to watch the game not for the atmosphere... We don't want or need supporters who only go for atmosphere, we had those supporters in the early 2000's and all they brought was trouble, they never cared about the Bulldogs, hence we are starting to see it at WSW games and that will continue for them.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Someone has to say it, you guys all want a Wanderers type atmosphere or Sydney FC atmosphere at the Bulldogs game... It will never happen, Why?

A large amount of supporters of WSW/Sydney FC don't go to watch the game, they go for the atmosphere... Soccer as a sport, not much happens for 80-90% of the games, hence the crowd 80-90% of the game just chant, turn there backs, jump up and down, take off there shirts etc... At a Bulldogs game, the fans who go have been passionate supporters for years and years (Even generations) not one year or 6 years... they go to watch the game not for the atmosphere... We don't want or need supporters who only go for atmosphere, we had those supporters in the early 2000's and all they brought was trouble, they never cared about the Bulldogs, hence we are starting to see it at WSW games and that will continue for them.
I agree with the first part...

the 2nd part? :sleepy:

I don't get how it's the biggest since 1967? The OP seems to suggest the 1967 crowd was smaller?
the biggest crowd in Sydney for a regular game since 1967 when the Dragons played the Sharks at the old SCG when they had just over 50k.
And back then they use to have the Saturday afternoon MOTD held at the SCG which use to bring in massive crowds

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score

I agree Ouwet.

I've watched quite a few Wanderers games over summer and even if the opposition score, the Wanderers fans keep on chanting and singing. Which is great but if the opposition score against the Bulldogs, I certainly don't feel like singing!!

I've also seen Wanderers fans miss goals because they're doing the "turn your back" dance. You pay to go and watch your team and miss the only goal because you're turning the other way dancing?? I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.