40pc believe others don't belong here

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24415276-421,00.html

FORTY per cent of Australians believe some ethnic groups do not belong in the country with one in 10 having outwardly racist views, a new study shows.

New South Wales tops the list with racist views, but lead researcher on the project Kevin Dunn puts it down to Sydney being the focus of international migration to Australia.

The study, led by human geography and urban studies Professor Dunn and his team from the University of Western Sydney, reveals racism in Australia has waned over the years but the figures remain high.

He will unveil the state-by-state statistics on Friday at the 4Rs international conference - Rights, Reconciliation, Respect and Responsibility - at Sydney's University of Technology.

Challenging Racism: The Anti-Racism Research Project has randomly surveyed about 12,500 people in different studies during the past eight years.

Prof Dunn attributes the results to people's overarching views.

"It's an indicator of a narrow view of what constitutes Australianism," he told AAP.

People were asked which cultural/ethnic groups do not fit into Australian society. NSW topped the list with 46 per cent of survey respondents saying some ethnic groups should not be in the country. The ACT had the lowest such response with 28 per cent.

Prof Dunn said people also revealed who they singled out the most.

"The most often-mentioned groups were Muslims or people from the Middle East."

The overall figures surge to 65 per cent for people over 65 but drop to 31 per cent for those aged 18 to 34.

"It's too high, isn't it," Prof Dunn said.

"We've got to bring that down."

On average, about one in 10 people said it was not good for people of different cultures to marry and about the same number said not all races are equal.

"It's only about one in 10 people now in Australia across the different states that would have that sort of view - the racial supremacists for instance," Prof Dunn said.

"That's still quite high I suppose - there's a lot of concern that comes out of that."

He said NSW ranked highest in most categories but attributed that to Sydney being the country's focus for immigration.

"There's just more cultural diversity here - there's more opportunity for cross-cultural contact and that means some of them will not be positive ones."

Prof Dunn and his team will release regional results within each state sometime early next year.

They will also recommend strategies to lower Australia's level of racist views, which he said remain low by international standards.

M

MikeyP..

Not a smart choice to post this up on the kennel. Knowing the kennel, this thread will turn into a arguement involving kennelers taking shots at other kennlers claiming that they are racists and blablabla. . .etc.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People should still be able to discuss this in a mature manner.

Those figures are too high

B

bunnies85

Not surprised at NSW being the worst and muslims being prominent. Shame really. But considering they now object to islamic schools in Bass Hill as well as Camden, Austral etc it seems quite correct in society.

Basically 1 in 2 in NSW think an ethnic group should not be in the country. There's something very wrong about that stat.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
I enjoy all religions and cultures.

Only thing that ****s me with some cultures is they think they have a right to implement their own rules from their countries.
If you don't like what Australia offers, gtfo.

M

Mr Miyagi

That figure is too low, piss the greeks, italians, lebs and fobs out of australia.
Go back to wogland

T_dog

I'm afraid of not trying
Reaction score
I enjoy all religions and cultures.

Only thing that ****s me with some cultures is they think they have a right to implement their own rules from their countries.
If you don't like what Australia offers, gtfo.
EXACTLY , I have some friends who come from other places(not gonna name the countries) who say, "omg Australia sux , my country is so much better." to whom I always reply ,"well if you don’t like it **** off back to where you came from."

No one is holding a gun to your head saying stay here. If you don’t like it **** off simple as that.

Autralia is one of the best if not the best countries in the world .We have a working health care system that is available to all no matter how rich or poor, We have an education system that offers children of all demographics an opportunity to learn and better themselves, We are not at war with anyone (Iraq, Afghanistan are Americas war.), We have equality among races and genders and most of all we all have every opportunity you could ever hope for here in our home Australia.

On the article those numbers are way too high but are understandable with the world we live in today, we simply have too many idiots’ reinforcing negative stereo types instead of trying to break down cultural boundaries and looking for ways to integrate with one another.

Hasoon

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
this 40 percent imo is largerly made up of uneducated racists, skips and bogans.

what i usually say to ppl who dare accuse me of not appreciating this country or other who say fuk this country, is that our homelands, our people, did not take our parents or grand parents, they wuldnt offer us help. so we came here. when we needed help, the australian government took us in. they take care of us, they help keep food on the table, we need help they give it to us! Whether they hate us or luv us this countries government has learnt to acccept us and given us what we want. Liek seriously where to begin??

thankyou australia.

Foreigner

*Stop The Bytchazzness!*
Reaction score
Correction we are not at war with afghanistan and this is bush war. Most americans oppose this war btw.

I have no problems with australia or the people, I thoght people here were nice. I left because I was homesick. Those numbers are pretty high but I can't say I'm surprise. Its like that in a lot of melting pot countries. I believe this survey asked an honest question and got an honest answer back compared to other places that denies that there is a ''problem'' in my opinion.

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
Not a smart choice to post this up on the kennel. Knowing the kennel, this thread will turn into a arguement involving kennelers taking shots at other kennlers claiming that they are racists and blablabla. . .etc.
meh... that happens anyway, regardless of the topic! LOL

I don't know... the only time I ever felt "unwanted" as a migrant was during the week or so after the Cronulla riots, when a few aussies of anglo-saxon background decided to yell "fuk off out of australia ya dirty wogs - we're cleaning this country up" whilst I was in my car with my mates at a set of traffic lights.

Fkn cowards p!ss-bolted soon as the lights went green.

Even during the riots, just watching those Shire rednecks use the Australian flag as a declaration of a renewed "White Australia Policy", made me feel like I didn't belong here.

Luckily that feeling passed after a week or so, and I got over it.

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
what's a wog?
To quote another website...

A wog, as seen through Anglo-Australian eyes, is a word applied to migrants and their children who come from non-english speaking backgrounds, and are not asian, indian, or black. In fact even that is over analysing the decision that is made before deciding whether to call somebody a wog. More honestly being labelled a wog is simply determined based on a person's appearance, accent and to some extent habits.
When I was a little kid, a wog was either an Italian, Greek, Portuguese, and any other nationality that spoke Spanish. A couple of years later, I found out that group included Slavs like Serbians, Croatians, Macedonians, Russians, and a few others. So yeah... generally people of European descent... although even more recently, people of Middle Eastern descent have included themselves in this classification.

I guess it all comes down to a appearance and speaking a non-English language?

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
this 40 percent imo is largerly made up of uneducated racists, skips and bogans.

what i usually say to ppl who dare accuse me of not appreciating this country or other who say fuk this country, is that our homelands, our people, did not take our parents or grand parents, they wuldnt offer us help. so we came here. when we needed help, the australian government took us in. they take care of us, they help keep food on the table, we need help they give it to us! Whether they hate us or luv us this countries government has learnt to acccept us and given us what we want. Liek seriously where to begin??

thankyou australia.
ROFL at not trying to be racist
I still love you Hasoon

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
To quote another website...

When I was a little kid, a wog was either an Italian, Greek, Portuguese, and any other nationality that spoke Spanish. A couple of years later, I found out that group included Slavs like Serbians, Croatians, Macedonians, Russians, and a few others. So yeah... generally people of European descent... although even more recently, people of Middle Eastern descent have included themselves in this classification.

I guess it all comes down to a appearance and speaking a non-English language?
Since the 70's till about late 80's a wog was someone with european descent. It was created by anglo-Australians for people with that background.

You can't just "include" yourself in a classification. That's stupid. If you're from the middle east and from an arabic speaking country you're arab not wog. Persians don't even call themselves wogs.

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
Since the 70's till about late 80's a wog was someone with european descent. It was created by anglo-Australians for people with that background.

You can't just "include" yourself in a classification. That's stupid. If you're from the middle east and from an arabic speaking country you're arab not wog. Persians don't even call themselves wogs.
Yeah, but heaps of people of Arabic descent call themselves wogs. Some even get offended if you tell them they're not wogs!!! LOLLLLL... Isn't that racism in reverse??? ROFL

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Yeah, but heaps of people of Arabic descent call themselves wogs. Some even get offended if you tell them they're not wogs!!! LOLLLLL... Isn't that racism in reverse??? ROFL
You're a dirty wog Muttley!!
Go back to your country you vile bastard!

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
You're a dirty wog Muttley!!
Go back to your country you vile bastard!
:(

But aren't there any forms I can fill out to de-wogify* myself??? LOLLL

* is that even a word?

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
:(

But aren't there any forms I can fill out to de-wogify* myself??? LOLLL

* is that even a word?
I think there is a way!!!
I seen some wogs that don't even look like wogs anymore.
I suggest you live in Mt Druitt for 2 years and you will be wiped clear of your wog heritage and if you're lucky you might even speak like a Davo and spend your dole cheque at the pub!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
That figure is too low, piss the greeks, italians, lebs and fobs out of australia.
Go back to wogland
We were born here d!ckhead, that makes us "wogs", Australian.

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
I think there is a way!!!
I seen some wogs that don't even look like wogs anymore.
I suggest you live in Mt Druitt for 2 years and you will be wiped clear of your wog heritage and if you're lucky you might even speak like a Davo and spend your dole cheque at the pub!
Yeah but Mt Druitt won't make me "look" any less like a wog :(

I think I'm stuck with it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.