$30 NRL live season pass

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought I'd quickly share this on the eve of the 2019 season kick-off.

I found a way to get the season pass (NRL app) for $30 for anyone who may be considering purchasing the live pass but does not want to pay the full $90 or whatever it is.

Basically, head across to Telstra and pick up a $30 long life plus (6 month) Sim pack.

Put it in your phone, activate it, then go to NRL app whilst on your new Telstra Sim (wifi turned off - so it automatically recognises your eligible for the free 2019 live pass.

Set up your NRL season pass via the on screen prompts, then remove new SIM, and replace with your normal Sim card.

And you will have set up your season pass for $30.

Hope this was helpful.

I have just done this myself.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah nah....
Just run a Telstra plan and ur sweet

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately my phone is with Optus, so I had to get a little creative.
I think you'll find data will not be unmetered with Optus though. Ok if you just use at home, but got Foxtel for that.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you'll find data will not be unmetered with Optus though. Ok if you just use at home, but got Foxtel for that.
True, I do have a lot of unused data every month with Optus, so I should be right there.

However I also think my phone might be dual sim, so I might look into how that all works as well.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Is it only for Telstra mobile customers or do Telstra NBN customers get it free as well?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If your sim expires in 6 months, do they terminate your NRL Pass after 6 months as well?

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If your sim expires in 6 months, do they terminate your NRL Pass after 6 months as well?
No as long as your number is still active on the Telstra network you will have access to the 2019 NRL season. Your plan expires in 6 months and then you have another 6 months grace period to recharge or else you will lose that number.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't get it at Woolworths, but did purchase it from officeworks!

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got Kayo on the Supercars $5 first month deal, pretty happy with it might have to continue with it for the footy season.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Got Kayo on the Supercars $5 first month deal, pretty happy with it might have to continue with it for the footy season.
Same. I looked into it a fair bit and Kayo is the best deal. Its owned by the same company as Foxtel, gives u all the Fox and ESPN and other sports channels for $25 pm. Free 14 day trial, no contract, 2 devices at a time. Works on PC, tablets, phones, some smart TVs (more in future), chromecast, telstra tv and apple tv

I've used it for live cricket matches so far, on nbn and it runs smooth as silk in HD on my PC

Last edited:

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought I'd quickly share this on the eve of the 2019 season kick-off.

I found a way to get the season pass (NRL app) for $30 for anyone who may be considering purchasing the live pass but does not want to pay the full $90 or whatever it is.

Basically, head across to Telstra and pick up a $30 long life plus (6 month) Sim pack.

Put it in your phone, activate it, then go to NRL app whilst on your new Telstra Sim (wifi turned off - so it automatically recognises your eligible for the free 2019 live pass.

Set up your NRL season pass via the on screen prompts, then remove new SIM, and replace with your normal Sim card.

And you will have set up your season pass for $30.

Hope this was helpful.

I have just done this myself.
Hey @BROOKO,
Thanks a bunch for sharing this! and to @off-tap-robbie for identifying Woolworths as an even cheaper option..
I shared it with my Mother who was interested but had a few reservations:
The long life SIM lasts for ~186 days so it may not fall within the T&C, nor is it mentioned in T&C obviously. I read the following to mean recharge ($30) every 2 months to get live footy?

"If you’re a Telstra mobile customer with a current post-paid, pre-paid ($30+ active recharges) or mobile broadband plan, a Season Pass is included as part of your post-paid plan or when you maintain a $30+ active pre-paid recharge.

Pre-paid customers can keep watching until 31 Jan 2020 or 60 days from your last $30+ recharge, whichever is earlier. You must continue to recharge at least $30 on a Telstra Pre-Paid offer in order to continue accessing the Season Pass until 31 Jan 2020.

Since she will be traveling o/s for part of the season, I've looked at when the dogs play and when they will be on live TV (rounds 2, 3, 4, 5) and not live on TV (round 6, 7, 8) when she is in Australia. For her the better option is to buy the monthly/weekly NRL pass.

Appreciate that you guys share this info, and thanks from my Mum also 8-)

~c.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey @BROOKO,
Thanks a bunch for sharing this! and to @off-tap-robbie for identifying Woolworths as an even cheaper option..
I shared it with my Mother who was interested but had a few reservations:
The long life SIM lasts for ~186 days so it may not fall within the T&C, nor is it mentioned in T&C obviously. I read the following to mean recharge ($30) every 2 months to get live footy?

"If you’re a Telstra mobile customer with a current post-paid, pre-paid ($30+ active recharges) or mobile broadband plan, a Season Pass is included as part of your post-paid plan or when you maintain a $30+ active pre-paid recharge.

Pre-paid customers can keep watching until 31 Jan 2020 or 60 days from your last $30+ recharge, whichever is earlier. You must continue to recharge at least $30 on a Telstra Pre-Paid offer in order to continue accessing the Season Pass until 31 Jan 2020.

Since she will be traveling o/s for part of the season, I've looked at when the dogs play and when they will be on live TV (rounds 2, 3, 4, 5) and not live on TV (round 6, 7, 8) when she is in Australia. For her the better option is to buy the monthly/weekly NRL pass.

Appreciate that you guys share this info, and thanks from my Mum also 8-)

~c.
Here is the confirmation I got when registering with my Telstra sim, it shows a similar date to what you posted above.

I'm not to sure about the 60 day limit, as the "critical information summary" supplied with the Sim (this can also be downloaded online) did not mention that.

I guess I will find out in 60 days :grinning:

I'm glad it has helped one or two people and I'm sure there are a few "readers only" out there who may have benefited from this info to.

A couple of years ago they were throwing around free live passes all over the place, but it seems that was more a ploy to let us fans know the technology is available.Screenshot_20190311-152215_NRL.jpegScreenshot_20190311-143637_Word.jpeg