3 Suprising Bulldogs 2017 stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol he does some Neanderthal things though, atleast 2-3 Neanderthal things per game.
Imagine him in a few years time when he has put a bit of polish on his game and cut the errors out. He coud be anything!!
For someone so young and so new to first grade,i think its pretty impressive how confident he is. A lot of players coming into grade might be too shy to try anything in fear of losing their spot. Not brenko. Sure he makes mistakes, but good on him for having the balls i say. Cant wait to see how he goes in a few years time. Hopefully we hold onto him long term.

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine him in a few years time when he has put a bit of polish on his game and cut the errors out. He coud be anything!!
For someone so young and so new to first grade,i think its pretty impressive how confident he is. A lot of players coming into grade might be too shy to try anything in fear of losing their spot. Not brenko. Sure he makes mistakes, but good on him for having the balls i say. Cant wait to see how he goes in a few years time. Hopefully we hold onto him long term.
WIP....if he keeps it up he could be anything.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the most interesting stats in our games so far as a whole to begin with is how different a team we are between the first and second halves. For a few years now we have always been the much better first half team, however that seems to have flipped on its head completely. Here's some interesting numbers on points scored and conceded between halves:

- We have only scored 10 or more points in the first half once in 2017. We are averaging less than a converted try at the moment for points scored in the first half.
- Our first half defense is still okay averaging just over 10 conceded points.
- We are averaging more than 10 points scored in the second halves.
- MOST IMPORTANT: In 4/9 games so far we have kept opposing teams in the second half to ZERO. And as a whole average 4.66 conceded points in the second halves.

What the above shows more than anything else is our fitness compared to seasons gone by. Our defense is best in league (If it wasn't for that 1 game against the Sea Eagles) and our attack in the second halves show we have what it takes when required. If we can pick up our first half inability to score points, we're a big force to reckon with in 2017.

Defense wins competitions.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Another surprise stat so far.....we arent 13th like all the "experts" picked us to be this year (and a group of ppl in here too lol). I like how we are going this year, more than how we were going the same time last year, despite the position on the ladder at the same time being similar.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yea, we lost to melbourne by a converted try and the second half of that game we dominated. Just couldnt deliver the points.

Roosters, lost due to injuries early in the game and reshuffle of the team. Goal kicking eventually fked us.

Manly - no idea what happned there

Tigers - we fucked ourselves.
Well that's 4 ways to lose a game

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the most interesting stats in our games so far as a whole to begin with is how different a team we are between the first and second halves.
I remember we were so bad in the 2nd half that if we weren't leading at half time the game was as good as lost.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the most interesting stats in our games so far as a whole to begin with is how different a team we are between the first and second halves. For a few years now we have always been the much better first half team, however that seems to have flipped on its head completely. Here's some interesting numbers on points scored and conceded between halves:

- We have only scored 10 or more points in the first half once in 2017. We are averaging less than a converted try at the moment for points scored in the first half.
- Our first half defense is still okay averaging just over 10 conceded points.
- We are averaging more than 10 points scored in the second halves.
- MOST IMPORTANT: In 4/9 games so far we have kept opposing teams in the second half to ZERO. And as a whole average 4.66 conceded points in the second halves.

What the above shows more than anything else is our fitness compared to seasons gone by. Our defense is best in league (If it wasn't for that 1 game against the Sea Eagles) and our attack in the second halves show we have what it takes when required. If we can pick up our first half inability to score points, we're a big force to reckon with in 2017.

Defense wins competitions.
Interesting. I didnt realise this until you mentioned it. We are a hell of a lot fitter this year. Except kas. Lol
I always said that we just happened to be a team heavily stacked with forwards, and it was no surprise to me that we struggled more then most to addapt to the reduction in interchange. I honestly think this was the major reason behind our terrible end to the year. It wasnt a lack of football ability within the team, it was more our fitness which coupled with the reduction in the interchange made us look a lot worse then we were.
It seems as though this year we have managed to get our fitness back to where it should be and we are easily capable of lasting the 80.
A lot of people say we dont need workhorses like tolman etc, but to be honest i think these workhorses are becoming more essential. If you look at our pack, tolman, lichaa, graham, jacko and even eliot it seems are capable of playing long minutes. This is a massive plus.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Those stats from Mr Invisible make very good reading. So... If we can get into the keep it simple mode:

1. Keep our try line and mid field defence going hard
2. Go to the next level in our attacking play (second phase play and kicking game on target all the time)

We're going to be genuine contenders for the 2017 premiership.

And I reckon that's fact not the Dog Goggles wish list.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
It's actually strange.... despite all the doom and gloom, on paper we are actually performing far better than "the naysayers" think.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not surprising considering we have either won or had a tight loss all season with the exception of the Manly game.

Status
Not open for further replies.