2024 starting 17 .... who's in your team?

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Personally, would like to see:

1. Taaffe
2. Wilson
3. Critta
4. Skelton
5. Fox
6. Burton
7. Hutchinson
8. Faamausili
9. Mahoney
10. Knight
11. Preston
12. Kikau
13. Curran

14. Turpin
15. Mann
16. King
17. Hughes

*Xerri won’t start the season, but if he’s killing it in Cup, he takes centre or wing

**Wilson more of an attacking threat than Kiraz but Kiraz takes the tougher carries so that was a tough one…. Wilson’s speed edges him just in front.

*Kiraz is a straight up winger/maybe fullback but centre is not his go.
Ciraldo put both Preston and Perham into the starting side based on training in pre-season, so it's not outside the realms of possibility.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Too early to call what the actual teamlist will be but this is what I would do:

1.Burton
2. Wilson
3. Xerri
4. Crichton
5. Kiraz
6. Hutchinson
7. Sexton
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Knight (sigh)
11. Preston
12. Curran
13. Mann

14. Turpin
15. SST
16. Hughes/Patolo/Morrin
17. Kikau
I like Burton at FB. Of course moves like this I'm very cautious off with Taaffe and Papalii in the background... Would hate to lose Josh especially

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I agree.. I think we signed taaffe as an insurance policy if chricton doesn't work out at fullback. I can't see chricton lasting more than 8 games at the back before he's switched.. he won't get switched while we are winning.. and the change could come too late when the seasons already gone (bit like what happened with perham this year). Or he'll go way better than we expected/hoped and we'll only see taaffe in reserve grade or backing up during origin periods
I hear where you’re coming from but what I got from an interview that Gus had is that Crichton is happy to play anywhere on fullback money of course.. Taaffe was bought to play fullback and will start the season there.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kiraz is not and out and out winger, far too uncoordinated to play down a tight touch line. He is locked in at centre ahead of anyone 100%
He doesn’t/cannot pass the ball. Not a great trait for a centre. His biggest asset is bring the ball back as a winger. His defence needs some work at centre also.

Yes he was playing busted when he got a shot at centre late last year. But he showed absolutely nothing to me to suggest he is a centre. Probably the worst I have seen him play.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I hear where you’re coming from but what I got from an interview that Gus had is that Crichton is happy to play anywhere on fullback money of course.. Taaffe was bought to play fullback and will start the season there.
Gus flat out said Crichton is playing fullback. Taaffe was not bought to play fullback and won't start there. This is maddening ffs.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He doesn’t/cannot pass the ball. Not a great trait for a centre. His biggest asset is bring the ball back as a winger. His defence needs some work at centre also.

Yes he was playing busted when he got a shot at centre late last year. But he showed absolutely nothing to me to suggest he is a centre. Probably the worst I have seen him play.
Total non issue, can and will develop as he continues playing there. He just need to learn to do less with the ball, it will be fine. He has far more issues as a winger that are harder to address.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
1. Crichton
2. Addo-Carr
3. Xerri
4. Kiraz
5. Wilson

Next man up = Skelton.

Seeing as Flanagan started in the 7 for 2023 I think we will go with cohesion and Sexton will start with Burton & Mahoney. The only change to the spine will be Crichton.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I like Burton at FB. Of course moves like this I'm very cautious off with Taaffe and Papalii in the background... Would hate to lose Josh especially
Joash could make his debut down the track next season but I think he’ll stay in Cup for the time being

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What's the deal with Taumalolo? Would be great but he's at the Cows for another few years.
We've been linked to him for ages and Gus HAS to be cooking something for this season...surely.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Who would be the 6 if Burton went to centre? Would it be Hutchison ?
Hutchison/Sexton would be the slowest, least threatening halves pairing in existence so I would hope not. Taaffe is an option in the halves. Maybe Luai..

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hutchison/Sexton would be the slowest, least threatening halves pairing in existence so I would hope not. Taaffe is an option in the halves. Maybe Luai..
I thought you didn't want Luai? Or have you changed your mind?

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon this will be our backline.

1. Critta
2. Wilson
3. Kiraz
4. Burton
5. Fox
6. Taafe
7. Sexton

Wouldn’t suprise me if Xerri jags a bench spot to play as a 2nd rower.

Burton under massive pressure to perform this season.