2024 starting 17 .... who's in your team?

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has Thompson definitely signed elsewhere?

Cantabrian35

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Best two centres at the club are Crichton and Burton. Problem is both being paid fullback & 5/8 money.
I would suggest both players have the talent to be the best in a couple of positions at the club, that's not the the sole determining factor in what position they will be picked.

There's a fair case to say that Tommy Turbo would be the best centre at Manly considering his State of Origin success in the role but we won't be seeing him in that spot for the Sea Eagles.

Ben Hunt is the best hooker at the Dragons but he is also the best halfback.

The most important factor is where they will be of most benefit to the team.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m also concerned with Taaffe.
I think he’s got a good little attacking game and can add value, but a lot of my mates are Souths fans, and being totally transparent, they said watching games they liked him and wished they kept him as back up, but the amount of times he got picked up and forced back for a drop out, or just totally manhandled coming off the line is a real… real concern. We can’t be going into the season pinning our hopes on him being out solid FB option.
My view is Crichton is one of the best centres in the game and should be played in the centres. I do believe he is locked in to start the season in the No.1 though.

I think the plan in signing Taaffe was an unknown. I don’t see him starting at fullback. I would have thought 14 until we signed 45 other utility’s after him.

I really would like to see him given a shot in the halves. Even if that is in Reggies to start the season. Sexton was a step up from what we had when he arrived but I don’t know about him as a long term option.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
mate good fullback money is over 1 million
Neither of these players are over 800k

we are fine.
Both easily on more than 800k.

My fear is the cap space isn't as good. If it was good RFM just be written off and paid out in full. So would another player.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
1. Taffe
2. Fox
3. Xerri
4. Critta
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Sexton
8. SST
9. Mahoney
10. King
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran

14. Mann
15. Salmon
16. Knight
17. Poasa

If critta plays fullback I’d have kiraz at centre and Wilson on the wing with taffe in Reggie’s

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My view is Crichton is one of the best centres in the game and should be played in the centres. I do believe he is locked in to start the season in the No.1 though.

I think the plan in signing Taaffe was an unknown. I don’t see him starting at fullback. I would have thought 14 until we signed 45 other utility’s after him.

I really would like to see him given a shot in the halves. Even if that is in Reggies to start the season. Sexton was a step up from what we had when he arrived but I don’t know about him as a long term option.
I agree.. I think we signed taaffe as an insurance policy if chricton doesn't work out at fullback. I can't see chricton lasting more than 8 games at the back before he's switched.. he won't get switched while we are winning.. and the change could come too late when the seasons already gone (bit like what happened with perham this year). Or he'll go way better than we expected/hoped and we'll only see taaffe in reserve grade or backing up during origin periods

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
1. Crichton
2. Addo-Carr
3. Xerri
4. Kiraz
5. Wilson
6. Burton
7. Sexton
8. Sutton
9. Mahoney
10. King (c)
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran

14. Mann
15. Takeijau
16. Faasumlli
17. Knight
Not bad. Main anomaly for me is starting Sutton in FR. just gets put on his back too much to start & take play 1 carriers. With what we currently have it’s likely to be either Poasa or L Knight starting over him.

I think Taafe & Hutchinson will pressure Sexton at 7.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
1. Critta (we need to see if he can be our elite FB first up. We can't miss out on what he "could" bring to that roving role and worth the experiment)
2. Fox (needs to be told to focus more on his footy)
3. Xerri (looks like a great signing at this stage).
4. Hutchison (if he has a bit of speed but he can def get it to Xerri)
5. Kiraz (wing is his best spot bringing it back and catching the high kicks)
6. Burton (Hutchison if Burto doesn't adequately take on the responsibilities of feeding Kiks and his outside backs and improve his short kicking game)
7. Taafe (like to see these 2 paired again. Has the confidence to get repeat sets and is very busy and is the effort player we need)
8. SST
9. Mahoney
10. Knight (better to start with him rather than King)
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran

14. Skelton (we need to develop this guys obvious potential with forward and backs training and let him loose) Contract year and he "could" be anything.
15. Salmon (spells Reed if necessary and our utility)
16. King (needs his passing game back)
17. Poasa (give him a few games and see how he goes. If too docile replace with a goer)

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Critta (we need to see if he can be our elite FB first up. We can't miss out on what he "could" bring to that roving role and worth the experiment)
2. Fox (needs to be told to focus more on his footy)
3. Xerri (looks like a great signing at this stage).
4. Hutchison (if he has a bit of speed but he can def get it to Xerri)
5. Kiraz (wing is his best spot bringing it back and catching the high kicks)
6. Burton (Hutchison if Burto doesn't adequately take on the responsibilities of feeding Kiks and his outside backs and improve his short kicking game)
7. Taafe (like to see these 2 paired again. Has the confidence to get repeat sets and is very busy and is the effort player we need)
8. SST
9. Mahoney
10. Knight (better to start with him rather than King)
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran

14. Skelton (we need to develop this guys obvious potential with forward and backs training and let him loose) Contract year and he "could" be anything.
15. Salmon (spells Reed if necessary and our utility)
16. King (needs his passing game back)
17. Poasa (give him a few games and see how he goes. If too docile replace with a goer)
Hutchison has no pace. One of the slowest movers in the league

Tafe is not a halfback

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hutchison has no pace. One of the slowest movers in the league

Tafe is not a halfback
Taafe was a rep 7 with Burton 6 in junior reps.
We don't need a real fast centre. Just good defence and a crisp pass and can beat initial defender.

Maybe we'll see.
Maybe we won't.
Not up to me so will await CC's team.

Hutchison can do that but...not ideal but the most experienced I could pick at this stage. I'd pick Skelton first up but thats a stretch knowing Ciro's neglect of the guy.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You could say a bottom team, wooden spoon potential, signing a top 2 centre playing for the best team in the competition (to play centre) is a mistake tho. How much impact is Crichton going to have at centre here in our team. Then you have to factor in his salary. With all this considered I don't see how we can play him anywhere else bar fullback if you're looking for value in the salary cap.
You wont get value if you play him at fullback because he isn't a good fullback. He couldn't even look good at fullback when playing for Penrith. He would make a massive impact for us at centre because he doesn't need a half to make him look good when he plays centre. Also he's the best defensive centre in the game & would improve us defensively. Would form one of the best right edge combos in the NRL with Preston-Crichton-Kiraz.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Best two centres at the club are Crichton and Burton. Problem is both being paid fullback & 5/8 money.
I'd still play them both at centre. We can have 2 of the best edge combos in the NRL.

Left Edge = Kikau-Burton-JAC.
Right Edge = Preston-Crichton-Kiraz.

These 2 combos would improve our team massively & actually give us an advantage over the opposition. We would just need our halves to get them early ball & have a decent kicking game.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Okay so who is the best 6 at the club then?
Hutchinson would play better at 6 than Burton did this season. At least he is a busy player who would run at the opposition. Burton doesn't even try most games. Burton at centre would be better value for us.