Official 2024 SG Ball, Harold Matts Squads , Scores and Team News

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Massive game next week in SG ball, I believe we play the undefeated roosters .... to be the best you've gotta beat the best, rise to the challenge doggies.
It should be a good game with the Roosters being undefeated.
The Dogs played Roosters in round 1 and lost 36-26 but i think our team is a much better team now with combinations with new players.
Hoping we get the win!

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It should be a good game with the Roosters being undefeated.
The Dogs played Roosters in round 1 and lost 36-26 but i think our team is a much better team now with combinations with new players.
Hoping we get the win!
We had their measure until we made a couple of replacements and ball control let us down - I’m not sure how much Roosters have improved, however our team is primed for another great performance.
Just like last year in the HM, the Roosters team successfully bullied sides - I can’t see the doing that to our pack.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We had their measure until we made a couple of replacements and ball control let us down - I’m not sure how much Roosters have improved, however our team is primed for another great performance.
Just like last year in the HM, the Roosters team successfully bullied sides - I can’t see the doing that to our pack.
First round game the dogs dominated until the bench was used - very lightweight at the time - both teams n coaches would have been improved since then would assume

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know whats happen to Tallis McEwan-Welsh is he still with us?

LucasFitzo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hey boys if anyone is keen for a good breakdown of the Dogs Harold Matts and SG ball Semi teams from Guru and Shortball RL. Have a look at this video.

Goes in depth about Mitch Woods at 35:18 minute mark, exciting times ahead...

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today seems like a good time to sign up for the NSWRL TV 14 day free trial

Junior Representative Semi-finals schedule – Saturday 20 April

11am: Bulldogs v Warriors, Henson Park (Harold Matthews Cup)

12.30pm: Roosters v Bulldogs, Henson Park (SG Ball Cup)

3.30pm: Bulldogs v Knights, Leichhardt Oval (Lisa Fiaola Cup)

5pm: Bulldogs v Knights, Leichhardt Oval (Tarsha Gale Cup)

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Defeating the Parramatta Eels last weekend, the Canterbury Bulldogs SG Ball Cup team is a win away from reaching the coveted grand final, but they will have to go up against a club that has already defeated them this season.

Nearly three months ago, the Bulldogs were unsuccessful in defeating the Sydney Roosters, but having grown as a group on and off the field, the team are looking to change the end result in a must-win game on Saturday.

While it will be a difficult task to take on a team that includes several representative players, the Bulldogs enter the finals filled with confidence after defeating the Eels 42-10 in week one.

Ahead of the semi-final, Bulldogs SG Ball coach Steve Turner - and former NRL player with 161 NRL games under his belt - spoke to Zero Tackle in regards to the club's motivation to make it to the grand final, how the players have grown since the start of the season and the battle he is expecting the Roosters to bring.

"I think the motivation is playing finals, and we get to play the team that has been probably the best-performing team all year, and they didn't drop a game in their regular season," Turner told Zero Tackle.

For us, I don't know if it's revenge against them, but the motivation is playing football, and if you don't get the result, there is no next week.

"It's exciting for these kids. Some of them are first-year rep players, some of them were part of last year's Harold Matts team, some of them its first time playing finals so it's a great time of the year for these boys and I'm looking forward to Saturday.

"There's a few that are a little bit nervous but it's good to be nervous. It's excitement, it's part of playing sport.

There is also an added motivation around the squad heading into the clash for some as they look to continue their winning streak in the junior levels after having won the Harold Matthews Cup title last season.

Players from last year's Harold Matthews Cup Grand Final that will be on show on Saturday include halfback Mitchell Woods, prop Oliva Smith, and second rower Sosaia Alatini.

Asked if there are any nerves around the club, Turner revealed that "game day is a little bit different for some of the boys" ahead of the clash.

"Game day is a little bit different for some of the boys but being so young and what they've been able to do over the last five or six weeks, there's a little excitement.

"The team's built some good connection and camaraderie over the last five or six weeks so I don't see too much of it around the club."

While the Bulldogs just scraped into the finals, the Sydney Roosters have yet to lose a game this season, securing nine wins in nine games with a points difference of 145 points - 299 points for and 154 against.

In what will be a tough challenge, not only in the forwards but also the backs, the team is led by halfback Toby Rodwell and consists of De La Salle Va'a, Ethan Roberts, Zac Sarfati, Tyreece Tait and skipper Blake Steep.

"If you look at the four teams left in the competition, they were the top-four teams and very strong sides across the board," Turner added.

"It's a great opportunity for us to play against a team that has been very consistent throughout the year.

"They have a strong forward pack, a handy half in young [Tom] Rodwell, so I'm looking forward to it and these boys are obviously coming off a couple of weeks off.

"They'll be fresh and ready, but for us, it's about continuing to build on what we've done over the last five or six weeks."

The Canterbury Bulldogs will face the Sydney Roosters at Henson Park, Sydney on Saturday 12:30 (AEST) for a spot in the SG Ball Cup Grand Final.

Reactions: jof

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Matts were gifted good field position and did absolutely nothing with it and Warriors go over

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This is a horrible start. Warriors 10-0

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Wow. Matts Dogs season over. 10-12 to the Warriors. Had maybe about 15 errors and most in good field position too. They weren’t good at all we just played like absolute shit.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wow. Matts Dogs season over. 10-12 to the Warriors. Had maybe about 15 errors and most in good field position too. They weren’t good at all we just played like absolute shit.
Not the greatest time to end your undefeated run...
Was it at least a "gallant loss"? Perhaps not. Very disappointing.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Damn,Matt’s team undefeated all year,and only the local juniors put the points on

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
I think the draw really hurt the Matt’s side. Didn’t play one of the better sides in the last 3 or four rds, since parra and sharks around rd 4 and 5 or 5 and 6. Got used to thumping weaker sides then had the bye. Hadn’t been in a close game for ages and didn’t handle it the best maybe…

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just flat or took Warriors for granted or just one of "those" games?

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Proud of the boys for the season they've had but a Disappointing way to end, just wasn't our day unfortunately, as for the wahs, their Matts and Ball sides are gonna be really strong every year going forward, they should be able to keep most of their good juniors now that they have a proper pathway.