Opinion 2024 Captain/leaders

dawso047

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Reed should and will be captain...nothing to see here.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Exactly so he'll stay at Cowboy (by long I meant 3 years)
I don't think he would even get a 3 year contract from any team.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't think he would even get a 3 year contract from any team.
I think that's what it'd take to get him because Cowboy would be expected to extend him for 2 years. That or significant overs. If Cowboy hardball over 1 year only maybe possible.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given our current predicament, who we make Captain and who provides leadership for our younger players next year will be pivotal.

It appears RFM was a mistake, and Burton hasn’t really shown much either.

Do we stick with two Captains?

Sio Siua Taukeiaho I believe has Captained Tonga and could provide some good leadership qualities we so desperately need.
U we’re doing real good with this post until u raised SST lol

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given our current predicament, who we make Captain and who provides leadership for our younger players next year will be pivotal.

It appears RFM was a mistake, and Burton hasn’t really shown much either.

Do we stick with two Captains?

Sio Siua Taukeiaho I believe has Captained Tonga and could provide some good leadership qualities we so desperately need.
Give the captaincy to Preston jmo!!

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pressure of being captain has affected Mahoney. You can't be captain and be leading the missed tackle count.

We need to try and get Finucanne back.
Thurston usually topped the missed tackle count in his day, but you've got a point when we're talking about a hooker. I also agree he would miss less tackles and make less errors if he didn't have the pressure. Same with Burton. I hope CC makes a decision with his head and no emotion, but there's stuff all to choose from really.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We have absolutely no stand out leaders in our team at present

Burton.....forget it. Proved he is totally not up to it for a number of reasons. CC should definitely relinquish him of the duties in the off season. He just needs to fully concentrate on improving his game

JAC...nope. Not leadership material. Brings positives in other ways, experience, jovial character to have around, but not a leader of a football team

Mahoney....has potential, but captaincy thrust onto him too early through lack of alternatives. Will hopefully develop into the role

Kikau....would be my choice , but maybe doesn't have the personality type? Has the experience and stature in the game. I'm hoping CC can talk him into it as he would be a leader that people would listen to and follow. Whether he has it in him...I don't know??

For me, I'd be looking to "recruit" a leader. I know he isn't off contract in the next couple of years but he would fit the bill perfectly

....Cam McInnes

Professional, wholehearted who I imagine would train as hard as he plays. Gives everything he's got plus has captaincy experience

I imagine he would be on $500,000?? at the Sharks.

Offering him say $750,000 x 4 year deal at his age gives him a possible extra $1 million that he would probably never earn, which could spark some interest or at least start the conversation. Would a team stand in the way of a player earning that much more? Would the Sharks be willing to release him??

I'm just spit balling here and thinking outside the box looking for solutions

I know as a player he's probably not worth that much....but as a leader, inspiration, professional... that our club DESPERATELY needs at the moment, he would probably be worth every cent

Another left field, younger option would be Rueben Cotter, built in the same mould but not as much experience, but is in all likelihood a 10 year Qld origin player

I'm sure there are others players out there that fill the bill as well

Braith Anasta suggested Gus might just have to try to entice a player to break a contract. Maybe we should be looking for a leader that way?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Taaffe will lead by example and passion, show them how it’s done, to play with intent and want, he be the fucking pied piper :grinning: Follow me boys, this how it done..

Cue the haters :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Taaffe will lead by example and passion, show them how it’s done, to play with intent and want, he be the fucking pied piper :grinning: Follow me boys, this how it done..

Cue the haters :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Not hating at all, I love it how you hitch your wagon to certain players so passionately and defend them to the hilt.

Never change scoobs

TheGeneralGiza

Waterboy
Reaction score
Hopefully Flannagan is re signed play him at hooker with Mahoney at 7. Spines set. Captain him for confidence.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reality is we don't have any genuine leaders in the squad and no one has proven worthy of that honour with their form and effort.

The only one that comes close is Preston and he's a rookie so you can't give it to him.. We miss someone like Graham or Ennis so badly right now. They'd straighten out the rest of these bitches right away.
This. One step further is there are captains and there are leaders. Some players don’t need the arm band to lead…We need leaders

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Whoever is captain needs to be an 80min player IMO...

Kiks doesn't need that pressure and to be honest, he doesn't scream captain material to me.

Burto and JAC should never be anywhere near the captaincy chat.

Reed makes sense as he is in and around the ruck constantly but after what he has shown this year hasn't been up to scratch.

I actually think Cam McInnes would be a good shout. Play him at Lock to tighten up the Defence but unsure of his leadership qualities and I don't like the idea of signing a bloke from another club and making then captain of ours right away without proving anything.

Quite frankly, there isn't anyone standing out so Reed gets another shot but I would put some T's & C's on him for next year.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Whoever is captain needs to be an 80min player IMO...

Kiks doesn't need that pressure and to be honest, he doesn't scream captain material to me.

Burto and JAC should never be anywhere near the captaincy chat.

Reed makes sense as he is in and around the ruck constantly but after what he has shown this year hasn't been up to scratch.

I actually think Cam McInnes would be a good shout. Play him at Lock to tighten up the Defence but unsure of his leadership qualities and I don't like the idea of signing a bloke from another club and making then captain of ours right away without proving anything.

Quite frankly, there isn't anyone standing out so Reed gets another shot but I would put some T's & C's on him for next year.
Reed is the only option in our current team

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton. Current Australian Rep. Give him the (c). Max King (vc)

Cantabrian35

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ask Josh Jackson if he would like to return for one last body punishing season allowing a captain to emerge to take over in 2025. He would tighten up our defence in the middle and we’d just ask him to run hard metres and not be the Yeo-like distributor that Barrett wanted him to be… and wasn’t right for him.