2024 Bulldogs Finals Bound!?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Canbra made the 8 and if we remove the Knights and Souths games we had a better against record than them. In those 3 games we fielded over half the team that won't be there this year. During the year we utilised 36 players (which I believe is an all time record) of which 15 players aren't here this season.

Much has changed (and had to) since last season and hopefully we get a better run with injuries and don't have to go cap in hand to the NRL for dispensations to play outside the Top 30 players. Bonus this year we can utilise 38 players (maximum) without begging.

Always a Bulldog

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
and which of those forwards are going to be making 100 plus meters each week?
if Hughes and patolo stay injury free than we might be ok but I just can't see it happening
I share your concerns however .....

Hughes is said by many to be the most impressive player of the pre-season .... hopefully we have a future gem on our hands.

All the props are fully aware of what is being said about them ... and all are unsigned for 2025.

PLENTY of motivation.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canbra made the 8 and if we remove the Knights and Souths games we had a better against record than them. In those 3 games we fielded over half the team that won't be there this year. During the year we utilised 36 players (which I believe is an all time record) of which 15 players aren't here this season.

Much has changed (and had to) since last season and hopefully we get a better run with injuries and don't have to go cap in hand to the NRL for dispensations to play outside the Top 30 players. Bonus this year we can utilise 38 players (maximum) without begging.

Always a Bulldog
What was the final tally against The Knights .... something close to 100 to nil ?

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coach has to come up with a unique style of play to make up for the lack of quality props.

I just can't think of a team making the eight without a recognized front row.

In all the years we've made the eight, we've always had a rep quality front rower in the pack.
Agree, and it will simply be two up and then just keep spreading the ball. We might have the worst props but we have speed to burn out wide and that will be our strength. We are capable of putting 30 points on teams with our backline, but can we stop 30 is the question?

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I share your concerns however .....

Hughes is said by many to be the most impressive player of the pre-season .... hopefully we have a future gem on our hands.

All the props are fully aware of what is being said about them ... and all are unsigned for 2025.

PLENTY of motivation.
I just hope both Hughes and patolo can stay injury free otherwise we'll be screwed..

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I want us to do well but I can’t see us finishing ahead of the Titans. They’ll improve on last season unless something goes terribly wrong.
Hasler is the perfect coach for the Titans, he loves a big mobile forward pack and he’ll tighten up their defence…they have no issue scoring points. They will 100% make the 8… any team with Fifita, Tino, Fotuaika and Liu in the forward ranks and outside backs the caliber of Brimson, Campbell, Sami, Khan-Pereira with Foran in the halves and Verrills at hooker should be making the top 8, it’s inexcusable not to.

BULLDOGGSFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hasler is the perfect coach for the Titans, he loves a big mobile forward pack and he’ll tighten up their defence…they have no issue scoring points. They will 100% make the 8… any team with Fifita, Tino, Fotuaika and Liu in the forward ranks and outside backs the caliber of Brimson, Campbell, Sami, Khan-Pereira with Foran in the halves and Verrills at hooker should be making the top 8, it’s inexcusable not to.
That’s what I was thinking. Even if we improve 20% across the board. Those teams around us on the ladder (Titans, Fins, Tigers) are all expected to improve as well.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking. Even if we improve 20% across the board. Those teams around us on the ladder (Titans, Fins, Tigers) are all expected to improve as well.
For sure, “Jersey” Flegler and Herbie Farnworth are astute pick ups. I‘d like to know if we were even looking at Flegler, he would have been a quality pick up.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Coach has to come up with a unique style of play to make up for the lack of quality props.

I just can't think of a team making the eight without a recognized front row.

In all the years we've made the eight, we've always had a rep quality front rower in the pack.
Out of curiosity, I was watching a 1999 game between Storm and Magpies and it blew my mind how similar the Storm were stylistically to how they operate today…. Basically maintained a simple formula as we know it today focussed on their ruck speed (super quick) Vs slowing down the opposition ruck (and this was before the wrestle came in) adding that upon returning the ball, the fullback would link up with the wingers and gain 15-20m cheaply (since defenders were honing in on the fullback, there was ample space out wide)…. I can’t see how this formula wouldn’t work in any era?

Ruck speed is our key, the quicker we can play the ball, the more this nullifies our lack thereof middles (our smaller middles should gain decent yardage with defenders backpedaling)… I don’t know how much work goes into cultivating a sense of urgency when tackled, but the Storm do it best and have done for over 20+ years consistently. We seem to do it in patches, the last few years, the first 10/15mins and then it goes back to being sluggish.

Hopefully with a rigorous pre-season, boys are fully fit and bring the energy because playing fast and using our speed is our only hope of mixing it with the big guns.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I give us a 1% chance of making the 8 in 2024.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
When analysing where you think the bulldogs will finish, you need to factor in a few things.
Like who is the other 7 that make it,
And then more importantly who are the teams that don't make the 8.

OK, so it's all assumptions.
There are a few almost guaranteed teams to make the top 8. Or let's say teams that most league guys would expect to make the 8
Below are those teams in no particular order.
Panthers
Broncos
Storm
Roosters
Souths.

That's 5 of the 8 that you can almost bet your house on to make the 8.

Then there are other likely teams based on last year's form and strong squad.

Knights
Warriors
Both these clubs in my opinion will build on last year and make the 8.

Then there are teams that are good enough and would also expect to make the 8 if they have a consistent season.

Parramatta
Sharks.

So I have listed 9 teams, that are all good enough to make the 8.

So out of thise 9 teams, who is the 2 you think will drop out snd miss out to allow the dogs a spot in the top 8?

Then also consider dolphins will be much better next season.
Cowboys and manly and the raiders all have far better squards than the dogs for 2024.

Seriously guys, I want nothing more than to see the dogs play finals footy again.
But let's be honest with ourselves.

Without a genuine organising half, and no real dominate front rower, we are still a bottom 4 team.

I do think we will be better than last season, but it won't really be reflected on the ladder.

BULLDOGGSFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For sure, “Jersey” Flegler and Herbie Farnworth are astute pick ups. I‘d like to know if we were even looking at Flegler, he would have been a quality pick up.
Yeah it’s been frustrating watching all the good middles get signed by other clubs.
I reckon the best we can hope for now is to trade an outside back or half (which we’re stacked with) to a club like the Dragons or the Eels in exchange for a middle.

Dragons need a FB and a half and the Eels are in a premiership window but they look weak on their left edge and could do with a centre and/or a winger. Seems like it would be mutually beneficial…

BULLDOGGSFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
When analysing where you think the bulldogs will finish, you need to factor in a few things.
Like who is the other 7 that make it,
And then more importantly who are the teams that don't make the 8.

OK, so it's all assumptions.
There are a few almost guaranteed teams to make the top 8. Or let's say teams that most league guys would expect to make the 8
Below are those teams in no particular order.
Panthers
Broncos
Storm
Roosters
Souths.

That's 5 of the 8 that you can almost bet your house on to make the 8.

Then there are other likely teams based on last year's form and strong squad.

Knights
Warriors
Both these clubs in my opinion will build on last year and make the 8.

Then there are teams that are good enough and would also expect to make the 8 if they have a consistent season.

Parramatta
Sharks.

So I have listed 9 teams, that are all good enough to make the 8.

So out of thise 9 teams, who is the 2 you think will drop out snd miss out to allow the dogs a spot in the top 8?

Then also consider dolphins will be much better next season.
Cowboys and manly and the raiders all have far better squards than the dogs for 2024.

Seriously guys, I want nothing more than to see the dogs play finals footy again.
But let's be honest with ourselves.

Without a genuine organising half, and no real dominate front rower, we are still a bottom 4 team.

I do think we will be better than last season, but it won't really be reflected on the ladder.
You are making a lot of sense

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As plenty have already said our middle forwards on paper are very weak. King is decent, nothing more. Curran is an inexperienced starting lock and I doubt is much of a ball player. Sutton and Mariners stars are fading. Knight had flatlined as a good NSW Cup prop at Souths. That leaved youngsters Hughes and Patolo, neither of whom are established NRL players and both have a history with serious injury. I predict a finish between 14th and 10th.