2023 Finals Week 1 - Other Team Lists and Game Discussion

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just noticed while watching a reply of the winning penalty that a Canberra player jumped in the air in the line of the kick. Had Ponga missed it would have been a re-kick.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a look at it on slow motion, no one offside at the scrum, but the scrum was not packed properly, Canberra were foolish enough to break the scrum by having the lock pick up the ball and pass, should have held it in the scrum and had the half play it at his discretion.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
How can you kick a field goal when players are cheating?
Always been the case mate. I was only saying to my son yesterday that most times when a field goal is attempted, markers are not square and referees have the whistle in their pocket. Been happening for years.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Had a look at it on slow motion, no one offside at the scrum, but the scrum was not packed properly, Canberra were foolish enough to break the scrum by having the lock pick up the ball and pass, should have held it in the scrum and had the half play it at his discretion.
Good stuff CM..we need you in the bunker..

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Chomping Jack Bitin' he will fit in seamlessly at Souffs with his grub acts

Stevo316

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I live 5 minutes from the ground and I can still hear the knights fans cheering

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Ah didn’t see that one BU.. yep should have called it..
They've called offside from scrum incessantly all year especially from 10 out. I would say its bizarre not to call it this time but I sadly expected them not to call it. And then transversely decide the game with a excision going the otherway. Classic modern day NRLol

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If Gamble doesn't get pinged for offside at the end of ET1, Raiders shouldn't have been pinged then. Again the reffing is extraordinarily bad. That game deserved for the players to decide the outcome, not the ref to pick from the many minor technical infringements during ET to decide the game.
Was a high tackle on Ponga anyways. The pinned Knights for a soft high tackle just before regular time, if Canberra's set up wasnt shit they could have wrapped it up then.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Refs didn't decide that game entirely. Even if the offside wasn't penalised, the high shot on Ponga would have been.

The offside ignored for Knights was tough, but Canberra had more bad calls go their way. And criticising a referee for making the correct decision is a little odd.
Et1 2 seconds to go scrum from right in front. Find me even 1 Newcastle player that was onside from the scrum. Maybe the couple that were tied in the middle of the scrum that's it. That's as blatant an offside scrum penalty that we've seen this year amd it's a penalty 10 out and in front to the Raiders. The ref decided that game entirely in that moment.

They might have kicked the field go if Knights players weren't offside

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Et1 2 seconds to go scrum from right in front. Find me even 1 Newcastle player that was onside from the scrum. Maybe the couple that were tied in the middle of the scrum that's it. That's as blatant an offside scrum penalty that we've seen this year amd it's a penalty 10 out and in front to the Raiders. The ref decided that game entirely in that moment.

Made me question how gamble rushed that quickly

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I thought that was the case at first as well, but the pictures show the Canberra lock breaking the scrum as soon as the ball goes in.Screenshot_20230910_194029_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230910_193919_Chrome.jpg

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I thought that was the case at first as well, but the pictures show the Canberra lock breaking the scrum as soon as the ball goes in.View attachment 81538View attachment 81540
Good find. The amount of whinges on the kennel as gone to a new level. People can’t seem to even enjoy a game of professional sport without looking for negativity at every chance. That game was everything great about League yet still reading posts about refs. Go the Knights!! The faithful up there looked amazing, great turn out