2022 State of Origin Game 3 - Other Team Lists and Game Discussion

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't like Luai at all, he's a ball hog... Countless times in club footy he robs Tago and May of clean ball in space as he wants to run himself.
Agree. Don't leave Tedesco out of the discussion if you are talking ball hogs.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One missed tackle, he’s defence otherwise was solid and he took some strong carys. Better than he’s other games. I’m not blaming him for loss that’s all
I am- he shouldn’t have been there he’s rubbish. Whighton was the easy choice of who was available not that I rate the bloke

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree. Don't leave Tedesco out of the discussion if you are talking ball hogs.
Tedesco had to do those hitups because the pussified team under Fittler folded up.

Check through the run metre stats of Yeo, Martin, Burton, S. Crichton, Tupou it was dead set embarrassing.

Paulo, A. Crichton, To'o, Tedesco were the only ones busting their ass out of yardage.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Six months in the NRL does not cut the mustard in SOO, Fittler got this Talakai decision wrong, Addo Carr would of done a better job at centre.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree and doesn't pass it anywhere near enough.
He plays FB hence why he doesn't pass as much as others. He saved the day on a number of occasions when Qld were threatening.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1995, 2001, 2020 & 2022 are series Queensldand won that they never should've.

Fittler was captain in 1995 & 2001, coach in 2020 & 2022.

He should not be in charge of the Blues.
Fittler did captain Australia to World Cup victory in England against England in Final and had previously captained Australia to a 3-0 series whitewash of the Kiwis.

Fittler also has won 8 of his 15 games as coach of NSW including a series win last year in 2021.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Luai was the worst. He was responsible for the effective no show of the left edge. Failed to get Burton and To'o into the game, and when he did pass it over to the left air mailed it to Talakai. Fittler needed to hook Luai for last 10, put Talakai at Centre, Burton at five eighth and make him bomb as much as possible... needed to generate some uncertainty.
The only way that game gets better for me is if it’s luai stopping Gagi’s fist with his face instead of Burton. Everyone saying that’s what sparked QLD is wrong it was when luai stood over an unconscious cobbo and gave him a spray having had nothing to do with his condition. If luai wasn’t playing at Penrith he wouldn’t be playing origin.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fittler did captain Australia to World Cup victory in England against England in Final and had previously captained Australia to a 3-0 series whitewash of the Kiwis.

Fittler also has won 8 of his 15 games as coach of NSW including a series win last year in 2021.
Fittler the player was one of the greats - and that has absolutely no bearing on the performance of Fittler the coach!

Fittler the coach has won eight SOO matches and lost seven, with a playing squad that is considerably stronger than Queensland. A proper coach would be at 15 - 0 or maybe 14 - 1.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He plays FB hence why he doesn't pass as much as others. He saved the day on a number of occasions when Qld were threatening.
Problem is there’s a saying of less is more and letting the ball do the work rather than taking a million tackles and running across field. As good as Tedesco statistics are how many times does he get in the way of NSW using the backs? A lot!

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fittler the player was one of the greats - and that has absolutely no bearing on the performance of Fittler the coach!

Fittler the coach has won eight SOO matches and lost seven, with a playing squad that is considerably stronger than Queensland. A proper coach would be at 15 - 0 or maybe 14 - 1.
Agree with most of your post but 2 points.

I was replying to someone who simply cherry-picked Fittler’s losses as a player and as as a coach. Obviously that person has a dislike or grudge against Freddie but to be fair to him I needed to post his overall record as a player / coach.

Finally as for saying Fittler had a considerably stronger squad than Queensland. I’d question that to a degree.

That team for game 3 was good but not great. It was far from our best squad.

I’d agree if we picked the best players than I would agree with your statement but many were out due to injury, covid or left out due to poor selection.

Turbo (injured) JAC has to go back in next year. Latrell made himself unavailable. Wighton left out, Jordan McLean gutted he missed out due to injury. Hynes should at least be named on the bench next year, Staggs should also be brought back in. I also feel Freddie should’ve started with Cook at hooker. Koroisau should be on the bench.

So yes we do have a considerably better side than QLD it’s just they’re not playing for many various reasons.

Surely with those players back in NSW dominate.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Final say on the NSW origin squad. I know this won’t happen but given that our halves play together at club and state level and very successfully I might add but have the Maroons countered their dominance? They certainly weren’t allowed to play their natural game in the decider and while it is only the one game I wouldn’t yet consider anyone for those positions but I would suggest if Cleary were to be injured then Adam Reynolds has to be strongly considered at half. I know he didn’t go so well in 2 games he played way back in 2016 but he’s a more mature player now and what he has done for the Broncos this year has been incredible. His goal kicking is as good as Clearys and I’d say his kicking in general play is better than Cleary’s.

Cleary is still the man for the job but Reynolds should be at the very least be considered for the squad next year as back up.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I haven't got a problem with Cleary, the next time we play the cane toads, Cleary's performance will go a long way towards winning the match for us. I am not sure if Luai should be an automatic selection, but his combination with Cleary helps his cause.

My problem is seven Penrith players in the starting thirteen. Throw in Burton (Penrith last year) and Capewell (playing for the other side but also Penrith last year), and you have nine of last year's Penrith team. Add in Fisher-Harris and Kikau, who aren't eligible but who would be automatic selections if they were, and you have almost a whole origin team playing for the same club. I know Penrith are premiers, but, If all of these players were of genuine origin quality, Penrith would be unbackable favorites in every game they play. They would never come close to losing a game, and would steamroller over the top of any club side you put in front of them.

Everybody is a star in a winning team. The good things your mates do make you look better than you really are, and the good things you do make them look better than they really are.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The only way that game gets better for me is if it’s luai stopping Gagi’s fist with his face instead of Burton. Everyone saying that’s what sparked QLD is wrong it was when luai stood over an unconscious cobbo and gave him a spray having had nothing to do with his condition. If luai wasn’t playing at Penrith he wouldn’t be playing origin.