2022-2023 Bulldogs Pre Season Thread

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can someone tell me where to watch our trial?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The new-look Canterbury Bulldogs have all but confirmed a number of contentious positions for round one. Full predicted teams here.
Phil Rothfield, Fatima Kdouh, Rob Sutherland, Wilson Smith, Matt Encarnacion, David Riccio and Michael Carayannis

23 min read
February 9, 2023 - 3:49PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Canterbury coach Cameron Ciraldo is set to unleash a destructive left edge in round one with boom rookie Paul Alamoti and star recruit Viliame Kikau preparing to form a formidable combination.
The Bulldogs have kept Alamoti, 19, under wraps but the teen sensation is poised for a round one debut and will get a hit out in Sunday’s trial against Canberra at left centre.

But with five-eighth Matt Burton, powerhouse backrower Kikau and winger Josh Addo-Carr not named, Bulldogs faithful will have to wait one more week before getting a glimpse of the left edge Ciraldo has put together.

“For his (Alamoti) size, he has classy hands and silky skills, He can create space and put his winger away. He’s already got that physical presence at such a young age which is pretty rare. I think he has proved it in the preseason that he is ready for the NRL,” Bulldogs back Jake Averillo said.

“Being so young, having maturity is something young players lack but he’s fine, so I’m sure he’ll go well.

Paul Alamoti is set to start round one. Picture: David Swift

“That edge has a lot of size and power, then there is Foxx (Addo-Carr) on the wing too, who is an elite finisher and he has the speed.”

Averillo finished last season as one the side’s best players after making a mid-year switch to fullback.
But Ciraldo is unlikely to continue that fullback experiment, with the rookie coach preferring Averillo at centre, specifically on the right.

It has given Averillo the time he needs to form a connection with backrower Raymond Faitala-Mariner, halfback Kyle Flanagan and winger Jacob Kiraz on the right edge.

“Ciro put me there pretty early to be honest and it has worked well for me,” Averillo said.

“I prefer to play on the right side. I have a right hand carry and a right foot step so it comes a lot more naturally to me. It opens up a few more aspects of my game. There have been a few players that trained there but I think Ray (Faitala-Mariner) has been there the most. But our connection on the right edge has been going well and because I have been training there all preseason, that has really helped.”

Jake Averillo has been training at right centre. Picture: Ashley Feder/Getty Images

Jake Averillo has been training at right centre. Picture: Ashley Feder/Getty Images

Flanagan revealed opposed sessions between the two edges has turned into a weekly battle for bragging rights.

“We’ve been carving them up on the right side,” Flanagan laughed.

“We like to challenge ourselves, me and Jake, against the other edge.

“We’ve got some world class players on the left, so whenever we go up against each other at training, it’s a battle.

“They have a lot of power with Kiks (Kikau) and Paul (Alamoti) but we are a different edge, we have a bit more skill.”

Averillo has been used across the backline, and off the bench, since making his debut in 2020.
The chance to cement a spot at right centre could determine Averillo’s future at the club.
The local junior is off-contract and The Daily Telegraph understands Averillo has made an impression on Ciraldo.

The club is in the midst of a roster overhaul, and while Averillo can see himself at Canterbury long-term, the 22-year old is resigned to the possibility of being forced out of Belmore.

“I definitely won’t take it (leaving) out of the picture. That’s the nature of the game, sometimes you don’t get what you want. If I have to go to another club, I’ll go to another club if there is an opportunity there,” Averillo said.

“Ciro has been pleased with how I am going at centre. I have been focusing on training and trying to nail the basics of playing centre. The rest, like my future, will follow.”

https://www.codesports.com.au/nrl/s...p/news-story/4b0c476e605fb8c97bcf27182dac4c43

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
The new-look Canterbury Bulldogs have all but confirmed a number of contentious positions for round one. Full predicted teams here.
Phil Rothfield, Fatima Kdouh, Rob Sutherland, Wilson Smith, Matt Encarnacion, David Riccio and Michael Carayannis

23 min read
February 9, 2023 - 3:49PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Canterbury coach Cameron Ciraldo is set to unleash a destructive left edge in round one with boom rookie Paul Alamoti and star recruit Viliame Kikau preparing to form a formidable combination.
The Bulldogs have kept Alamoti, 19, under wraps but the teen sensation is poised for a round one debut and will get a hit out in Sunday’s trial against Canberra at left centre.

But with five-eighth Matt Burton, powerhouse backrower Kikau and winger Josh Addo-Carr not named, Bulldogs faithful will have to wait one more week before getting a glimpse of the left edge Ciraldo has put together.

“For his (Alamoti) size, he has classy hands and silky skills, He can create space and put his winger away. He’s already got that physical presence at such a young age which is pretty rare. I think he has proved it in the preseason that he is ready for the NRL,” Bulldogs back Jake Averillo said.

“Being so young, having maturity is something young players lack but he’s fine, so I’m sure he’ll go well.

“That edge has a lot of size and power, then there is Foxx (Addo-Carr) on the wing too, who is an elite finisher and he has the speed.”

Averillo finished last season as one the side’s best players after making a mid-year switch to fullback.
But Ciraldo is unlikely to continue that fullback experiment, with the rookie coach preferring Averillo at centre, specifically on the right.

It has given Averillo the time he needs to form a connection with backrower Raymond Faitala-Mariner, halfback Kyle Flanagan and winger Jacob Kiraz on the right edge.

“Ciro put me there pretty early to be honest and it has worked well for me,” Averillo said.

“I prefer to play on the right side. I have a right hand carry and a right foot step so it comes a lot more naturally to me. It opens up a few more aspects of my game. There have been a few players that trained there but I think Ray (Faitala-Mariner) has been there the most. But our connection on the right edge has been going well and because I have been training there all preseason, that has really helped.”

Flanagan revealed opposed sessions between the two edges has turned into a weekly battle for bragging rights.

“We’ve been carving them up on the right side,” Flanagan laughed.

“We like to challenge ourselves, me and Jake, against the other edge.

“We’ve got some world class players on the left, so whenever we go up against each other at training, it’s a battle.

“They have a lot of power with Kiks (Kikau) and Paul (Alamoti) but we are a different edge, we have a bit more skill.”

Averillo has been used across the backline, and off the bench, since making his debut in 2020.
The chance to cement a spot at right centre could determine Averillo’s future at the club.
The local junior is off-contract and The Daily Telegraph understands Averillo has made an impression on Ciraldo.

The club is in the midst of a roster overhaul, and while Averillo can see himself at Canterbury long-term, the 22-year old is resigned to the possibility of being forced out of Belmore.

“I definitely won’t take it (leaving) out of the picture. That’s the nature of the game, sometimes you don’t get what you want. If I have to go to another club, I’ll go to another club if there is an opportunity there,” Averillo said.

“Ciro has been pleased with how I am going at centre. I have been focusing on training and trying to nail the basics of playing centre. The rest, like my future, will follow.”

https://www.codesports.com.au/nrl/s...p/news-story/4b0c476e605fb8c97bcf27182dac4c43
Fanagun with the “we have a bit more skill” made me cackle