2022-2023 Bulldogs Pre Season Thread

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Went to training yesterday and they had a solid opposed session with one of the refs coming down too. No one was taking a backwards step.

Top Side
Perham
Kiraz
Alamoti
Averillo
JAC
Burton
Flanno
King
Mahoney
Thompson
Preston
RFM
Sutton

Reserve Grade
Wilson
Ok
Burns
Skelton
Casey
Reynolds
Hayward
Patolo
Brown
Tanner
Davey
Waddell
Morrin

Bench
Topine, Papalii, Pele, Edwards, Clarke

Injured/Didn’t Play
BBO, Kiks, Tskrikas, Hughes, Rajab, TPJ

Key Points
  • Game was about 6-nil with Kiraz getting 5 of the 6 tries. One was a 90 m intercept. I’d be putting my money on him for top try scorer for the comp.
  • They trialed burns at FB in the reserves and he looked OK (put some weird grubbers behind the line) and it made me really excited for what a rangy sort of FB like Crichton could be.
  • The team didn’t change for the main side except for middles and Nu Brown playing a bit of lock.
  • Alamoti looked solid and they were sending a lot of traffic his way defensively. Him left and avo right.
  • Perham will definitely play FB. Recognises when a play is on really well and pushes into the line for another ball playing option.
  • Bench will most likely be Nu Brown, Patolo, TPJ and Preston.
  • Reynolds was way better than I expected and rushed out a line for a huge shot on Preston. Will challenge Nu Brown.
  • I have no idea who will be captain but all the contenders were really vocal. I have a feeling it may be Max King.
  • Younger, promising forwards like Topine and Pele got very limited minutes.
  • Joash Papalii played in the halves when he came on and was really confident. One to watch for sure!

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Went to training yesterday and they had a solid opposed session with one of the refs coming down too. No one was taking a backwards step.

Top Side
Perham
Kiraz
Alamoti
Averillo
JAC
Burton
Flanno
King
Mahoney
Thompson
Preston
RFM
Sutton

Reserve Grade
Wilson
Ok
Burns
Skelton
Casey
Reynolds
Hayward
Patolo
Brown
Tanner
Davey
Waddell
Morrin

Bench

Injured/Didn’t Play

Key Points
  • Game was about 6-nil with Kiraz getting 5 of the 6 tries. One was a 90 m intercept. I’d be putting my money on him for top try scorer for the comp.
  • They trialed burns at FB in the reserves and he looked OK (put some weird grubbers behind the line) and it made me really excited for what a rangy sort of FB like Crichton could be.
  • The team didn’t change for the main side except for middles and Nu Brown playing a bit of lock.
  • Alamoti looked solid and they were sending a lot of traffic his way defensively. Him left and avo right.
  • Perham will definitely play FB. Recognises when a play is on really well and pushes into the line for another ball playing option.
  • Reynolds was way better than I expected and rushed out a line for a huge shot on Preston. Will challenge Nu Brown.
  • I have no idea who will be captain but all the contenders were really vocal. I have a feeling it may be Max King.
  • Joash Papalii played in the halves when he came on and was really confident. One to watch for sure!
From what iv seen of Joash in HM Sgball n Flegg i think he is more suited to 6.7,9 or 13 than fullback

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Top Side
Perham
Kiraz
Alamoti
Averillo
JAC
Burton
Flanno
King
Mahoney
Thompson
Preston
RFM
Sutton

Reserve Grade
Wilson
Ok
Burns
Skelton
Casey
Reynolds
Hayward
Patolo
Brown
Tanner
Davey
Waddell
Morrin

Bench

Injured/Didn’t Play

Key Points
From all the mail it certainly seems like Perham has FB in his grasp and Avo seems to have to settle for right centre. With Alamoti the left centre.

It is a tad disappointing that Averillo wasn’t able to grab the opportunity that was presented to him. I think the dogs are trying to find somewhere to fit him in, and when the music stops in 2024 he will likely find himself without a chair.

He has the opportunity to cement himself in the team if he has a great year, but even 14 may not be available as that maybe Joash bench spot in 2024.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
From all the mail it certainly seems like Perham has FB in his grasp and Avo seems to have to settle for right centre. With Alamoti the left centre.

It is a tad disappointing that Averillo wasn’t able to grab the opportunity that was presented to him. I think the dogs are trying to find somewhere to fit him in, and when the music stops in 2024 he will likely find himself without a chair.

He has the opportunity to cement himself in the team if he has a great year, but even 14 may not be available as that maybe Joash bench spot in 2024.
he had his chance last year but was afraid of contact, you can’t teach this I think Skelton replaces him very early on if he doesn’t perform from the get go.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Top Side
Perham
Kiraz
Alamoti
Averillo
JAC
Burton
Flanno
King
Mahoney
Thompson
Preston
RFM
Sutton

Reserve Grade
Wilson
Ok
Burns
Skelton
Casey
Reynolds
Hayward
Patolo
Brown
Tanner
Davey
Waddell
Morrin

Bench

Injured/Didn’t Play

Key Points
Is Rajab injured surely he gets a start ahead of Reynolds ?? Squad starting to build nicely depth in the halves still biggest question mark and light on for middles.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Crichton is playing fullback next year (maybe this year?) So why would they bother developing him there?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Top Side
Perham
Kiraz
Alamoti
Averillo
JAC
Burton
Flanno
King
Mahoney
Thompson
Preston
RFM
Sutton

Reserve Grade
Wilson
Ok
Burns
Skelton
Casey
Reynolds
Hayward
Patolo
Brown
Tanner
Davey
Waddell
Morrin

Bench

Injured/Didn’t Play

Key Points
Wow, Jake must've set Kiraz up for like 3 tries!

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
he had his chance last year but was afraid of contact, you can’t teach this I think Skelton replaces him very early on if he doesn’t perform from the get go.

Top Side
Perham
Kiraz
Alamoti
Averillo
JAC
Burton
Flanno
King
Mahoney
Thompson
Preston
RFM
Sutton

Reserve Grade
Wilson
Ok
Burns
Skelton
Casey
Reynolds
Hayward
Patolo
Brown
Tanner
Davey
Waddell
Morrin

Bench

Injured/Didn’t Play

Key Points
Have any of the middle forwards from Flegg been involved in the opposed sessions?

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Is perham doesn’t start at fullback then this preseason was just a waste of time.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Is perham doesn’t start at fullback then this preseason was just a waste of time.
The only reasons Perham doesn't start at fullback is if he's injured or if Crichton is here

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crichton is playing fullback next year (maybe this year?) So why would they bother developing him there?
yes they are giving him a final chance. he has to perform better than skelton and what they will expect from Xerri in 2024 for him to have a spot in the starting 13 in 2024. Unless he can pull his finger out this year and show some consistency, I can't see the dogs offering much in an extension beyond what he is already getting, may even need to take a cut to stay.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
yes they are giving him a final chance. he has to perform better than skelton and what they will expect from Xerri in 2024 for him to have a spot in the starting 13 in 2024. Unless he can pull his finger out this year and show some consistency, I can't see the dogs offering much in an extension beyond what he is already getting, may even need to take a cut to stay.
He's already being offered a new deal lol.