• No, Still need a fullback moving forward

Votes: 22 91.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tas Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
How is getting rid of a drug addict comparable with a good clubman like Reynolds deciding to take a pay rise elsewhere? Barba was released because he "just had to go home to Qld to help his family get put back together". It was a compassionate release not an upgrade. We got Bmoz who is a superstar FB in 2015 ie. the next year. Not our fault his knee dug through to China at Brookie and buggered him for 18 months. How much money do you think we have for FB's? He's back there now and showing he is still a top class FB.
Don't disagree with you about the circumstances in which Barba left - just casting doubt on the Club's sometimes questionable recruitment strategies. BMoz was a great acquisition and is undoubtedly a dynamic player and full-back but can't imagine he'll stay there when Hopoate returns. Wasn't Hopoate also recruited as a full-back? If so, strange decision given that he had an agreement with the club to not play Sundays. You ask how much money we have for a FB? Well, looks like we were ready to pay big dollars for Tedesco (if the rumours were true) so the club must have been planning in that direction. Does that mean Abbey is or was also on the outer? I'm sure our recruitment gurus have the answers but you have to wonder.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bullshit. If he's that crap, why did Cleary throw cash at him? Why were better teams than us like the sharks interested? Probably because they are smart enough to see Reynbolds is a running half who has never had an opportunity to play with a good organisational halfback.....and he's never had proper halves coaching. Ben Hunt signed on for around 1 mill a season reportedly. Reynolds is 5x the player thgat donkey is. face it mate, you haters and naysayers don't know your arses from your elbows. Reynolds is a quality player who has ALWAYS BLED BLUE AND WHITE and done some great things for us despite never having proper mentorship. Some of you are total ingrates.
Because the tigers are desperate. There are reports that he could earn up to 950k plus car there. He's had 2 cracks at a gf and couldnt get it done with us, so Time to move on, and good luck to him...hopefully he can end on a high with us...

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't disagree with you about the circumstances in which Barba left - just casting doubt on the Club's sometimes questionable recruitment strategies. BMoz was a great acquisition and is undoubtedly a dynamic player and full-back but can't imagine he'll stay there when Hopoate returns. Wasn't Hopoate also recruited as a full-back? If so, strange decision given that he had an agreement with the club to not play Sundays. You ask how much money we have for a FB? Well, looks like we were ready to pay big dollars for Tedesco (if the rumours were true) so the club must have been planning in that direction. Does that mean Abbey is or was also on the outer? I'm sure our recruitment gurus have the answers but you have to wonder.
Des may put hoppa out the back but he was originally recruited as a centre/winger. We put him out the back when BMoz broke down at the beginning of last year. This has been the first season where he has had a pre-season at FB and he gets busted after 1.5 games. I think he is well worth perservering with at FB for at least a little while. While Montoya is going great for us Hoppa is a seasoned FG'er and has played SOO. It is silly to say that Montoya is at the moment a better player than him. He may well turn out to be a superstar but he has a way to go yet.

The dollars for FB thing I was referring to was that we had paid a bucketful for BMoz and still had at that time to pay for a whole range of upgrades for our forwards. Had we gone to market for a FB again we would have lost players like Graham, Jackson and Klemmer and that would have been a disaster.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't s agree. We made him an offer that was insulting. I don't want us to go well next year with Foran. I'm hoping we win it this year. I'll worry about next year when I get to it. I think I might take a year or two off nrl next year. I don't want to be around when the foran thong blows up in our face. I guess I'll still be here, but I am really not looking forward to bedt year and would rather avoid focusing on it for as long as possible tbh.

My focus is 100 percent on this year.
I am a big Reynolds fan but if you have an opportunity to get a player like Foran, despite the issues he has had, you jump at it.
$500k a season, if that was the offer, is a heap of money, good luck to Joshy getting more elsewhere and he is here for the rest of the year so dont stress too much.....and i have a feeling that you will be more than impressed with Foran if things fall into place as expected.

Upupcronulla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah he'll be a walk up start for a club most agreed after losing its best three players was the worst squad in the NRL. Two Cronulla he was seen as a bench utility and would never be on the run on team. I think you'll find out offer we made was more than what The sharks made.

but keep it going let's see what else you got....
I think you'll find it was to put pressure on Townsend to re-sign. We already have segeyaro for the bench spot flanno wouldn't carry segeyaro and Reynolds on the bench

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I am a big Reynolds fan but if you have an opportunity to get a player like Foran, despite the issues he has had, you jump at it.
$500k a season, if that was the offer, is a heap of money, good luck to Joshy getting more elsewhere and he is here for the rest of the year so dont stress too much.....and i have a feeling that you will be more than impressed with Foran if things fall into place as expected.
I really don't have a good feeling about Firan and I'd rather we have not gone that route, but I don't want to puss on your parade. Personally I'm pissed. Not a fan of signing Foran or letting Reynolds go. But you're all entitled to your view on this.

Personally I just feel we are slowly losing our character and identity.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Because the tigers are desperate. There are reports that he could earn up to 950k plus car there. He's had 2 cracks at a gf and couldnt get it done with us, so Time to move on, and good luck to him...hopefully he can end on a high with us...
Oh come on mate. That's the higher end of the range of figures being reported and the media often exaggerated contract figures. I think he'd have stayed for less too. Just not for peanuts. Which is fair enough imo.

You're entitled to enjoy the moment. Wish I could share your optimism. But for me it's a bummer of a day for the club. I'm not alone either....and you're not alone in your thinking. Whatever, to each their own and all that.

chuckynemo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The blokes an overrated flop that's only good for a fluke of a try here and there and the frequent trips. It's a blessing in disguise. Let him take his money and build more duplexs with the other overrated flop licha

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What if mbye and Eastwood are gone next season...

1. Hoppa (or new fb)
2. Bmoz
3. Jmoz
4. Lee
5. Montoya
6. Foran
7. Frawley
8. Woods
9. Leech
10. Graham
11. Jacko
12. Elliot
13. Klemmer

14. Kas
15. Fualalo
16. RFM
17. ?

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Foran/Frawley combination. Mbye gives Foran a dangerous runner at second receiver who can distribute. Foran takes the organising responsibilities off Mbye and has all the tools to give Mbye time and space outside.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Foran/Frawley combination. Mbye gives Foran a dangerous runner at second receiver who can distribute. Foran takes the organising responsibilities off Mbye and has all the tools to give Mbye time and space outside.
But there's no way we keep lichaa after what's happened last few weeks. Unless Woolford goes from bench NSW cup to starting first grade lol

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But there's no way we keep lichaa after what's happened last few weeks. Unless Woolford goes from bench NSW cup to starting first grade lol
I'd find it extremely weird if we kept him after shafting him the last few games

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Foran helps this situation too. Lichaa seems confused with who to pass to, my biggest issue with him is that he's passive as a decision maker. Whether we have Lichaa, Garvey, Woolford or whoever else Foran will direct play in the Des system.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If we get Foran and that is a big IF.

1. Abbey/Bmozzle/Hopoate or Michael Gordon 1 year deal
6. Foran
7. Frawley
9. Mbye/Lichaa

Mbye's versatility makes it tough to know where Des will play him next. He could be the next Kurt Gidley where he can slot into 1, 6, 7 or 9 when required.

Tas Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Des may put hoppa out the back but he was originally recruited as a centre/winger. We put him out the back when BMoz broke down at the beginning of last year. This has been the first season where he has had a pre-season at FB and he gets busted after 1.5 games. I think he is well worth perservering with at FB for at least a little while. While Montoya is going great for us Hoppa is a seasoned FG'er and has played SOO. It is silly to say that Montoya is at the moment a better player than him. He may well turn out to be a superstar but he has a way to go yet.

The dollars for FB thing I was referring to was that we had paid a bucketful for BMoz and still had at that time to pay for a whole range of upgrades for our forwards. Had we gone to market for a FB again we would have lost players like Graham, Jackson and Klemmer and that would have been a disaster.
Fair enough. You're right that the upgrades were a priority and that we have secured arguably our 2 most important players in the long-term - Jackson and Klemmer.
Shame that BMoz doesn't look like being physically up to the FB role. He makes such an impact when he is there. I think that in the long-term there is still a big question mark over who will play at the back.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If people think we let go of Reynolds before signing Foran give yourself and uppercut.
You really think we had any influence on Reynolds taking the Tigers huge offer and have our shit sorted out.
I would assume this, but to think this is fact is a bit much.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thinking outside the box for a minute Dane Gagai elusive, strong and quick ??? Would be a good fullback if he could make the transition from center, wing.
I like Dane Gagai but if we are buying a fullback then we need a FULLBACK. Wingers, Centres, Halves playing fullback is not what we should be looking for.

Either have faith in Abbey or go out there and find that mythical rockstar that Rae Rae has been promising us.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What Dane Gagai did against us the last time we played Newcastle was no fluke. He repeatedly cut through our defensive line like a knife cutting through butter. He clearly looked the most dangerous player on the field and a class above the rest. Even though Dane is a center he has all the attributes of a rockstar fullback imo. We all carry on about Tedesco, well given the opportunity Gagai could be just as good.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wonder when Lolohea, Alex Johnson start coming into the mix?
So many Halves and Fullbacks on the market its crazy.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Fair enough. You're right that the upgrades were a priority and that we have secured arguably our 2 most important players in the long-term - Jackson and Klemmer.
Shame that BMoz doesn't look like being physically up to the FB role. He makes such an impact when he is there. I think that in the long-term there is still a big question mark over who will play at the back.
Agree. BMoz prob has 2 years at the very most out there if he stays. Hoppa could be a longer term option given his age and he has skills. I'm not sold on Abbey at all. There are a few other options and if Hoppa and few others go then that brings players of the calibre of Hayne into the discussions. Say what you like about his temperament but when he is on the field he is a freak and all the players follow him. No matter which way the club goes plenty will be happy and plenty will be sad. Seems to be the nature of forums these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.