2018 NSWRL Intrust Super Cup Discussion Thread (Season Ended) PREMIERS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates @MrInvisible, sound like we got smashed on a few fronts.

Anyone you think could make the step up if needed?

Interested how Tualau, Martin and Lewis went.

The halves seemed like they performed like trash.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
1 minute from full time .. Cleeland does something with a small break.

Missing Olive's defence in centres, and To'omagas strong runs up the middle.

Nice work from Brown to score there, but he's rocks and diamonds like Inu.

FULL TIME
Panthers: 34
Dogs: 16 (Bergamin 2, Brown).

and may people never use Cleeland / Frawley and First Grade in the same sentence ever again.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Watched it. Case is closed on Cleeland. Sacked.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates @MrInvisible, sound like we got smashed on a few fronts.
Anyone you think could make the step up if needed?
Interested how Tualau, Martin and Lewis went.
The halves seemed like they performed like trash.
No worries. Brief wrap up.

Forwards MIA - Jack Nelson only one that was noticable (and solid in defence).
Halves MIA in defence and attack (Cleeland touched the ball about 5 times in second half, Frawley mainly on 5th to bomb, Cleeland not a single kick but a few cold drops).
Ogden and Martin heavily penalised (perhaps some unfairly). Martin I've have to estimate penalised about 4-5 times himself for ruck/offside.
Brown made a costly mistake (dropped cold from fast tap), but redeemed himself with a try.
Okunbor very quiet, as were our centres Lewis and Anderson.
Reimis Smith I don't think saw the ball at all.
Bergamin decent but he's better at fullback.
Cerruto average.

All in all a game we never looked like winning.

When Zac Woolford and Carr are fit again I reckon our best side is:

1. Bergamin (so he can get more involved in attack)
2. Cerruto (Carr when fit)
3. Olive
4. Cerruto / Holland (if not in first grade)
5. Smith
6. Brown
7. Lewis
8. Tualau
9. Woolford (when fit).
10. Ogden
11. Martin
12. Okunbor
13. Burr/To'omaga (if not in first grade).

14. Miller
15. Garlick
16. Anderson
17. Luani (or another prop).

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just watched the replay of the game and it is quite evident that Okonbur is NOWHERE near a first grade berth and considering the faith the club has in him it is either misplaced or he had a very off day. . Lazy in defence was all I saw today.

We showed some form but like a lot of times last year, we just made too many errors.

I liked the way Martin questioned the referee though in relation to a penalty given to Penrith for interference in the play the ball.

He quite correctly asked the referee if the rule was that you could not place the ball on the ground first and then place your foot on the ball to which the referee replied yes. " Why was that then a penalty to them instead of us" was along the lines of Martin's reply. This happened quite frequently and in one set of six the same Penrith player did it twice.It was frustrating watching us being pinged for certain infringements ( and mostly quite rightly so) and then seeing the Panthers get away with it.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
FFS these penalties are ridiculous.... if Dogs don't get up a split second after the tackle he's penalising us. Panthers lay all over us and nothing.

"Catch and Pass" Cleeland finally touches the ball a third time.
That was a frustrating game to watch. The interpretation of the play the ball between us and the Pampers was poles apart.You are right in saying that they lay all over us and their play the balls were absolutely diabolical. You cannot put the ball on the ground first before regaining your footing. Penrith did it all game long and we got done for crowding and not allowing them up quick enough.....

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cleeland is not in the top 30 and can't play first grade unless there are a heap of injuries and the club gets special permission. So forget him. Lewis is in top 30 so we are gonna have to put our faith in him and hope he eventually delivers.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is huge gap in standard between first grade and NSW cup - players like Tualau, Burr, Frawley are not consistent enough to be considered first grader quality. Martin hasn't played first grade but along with Toomaga seems to be very consistent at NSW Cup level. With so much NSW cup televised so far this year more are noticing the "quality" of defence of players of players like Okunbar and Reimis Smith (although Smith is starting to hit the line with a bit of grunt - much improved in that aspect)
On seeing a lot of Martin last year I didn't think he'd be up to first grade - ive changed my thinking based on his consistency this year. Not a star but better than most at that level.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
To'omaga and Olive are about the closest, with maybe Lewis as well.

The rest need to remain in NSW Cup for another season.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Round 7 - Saturday 21st April (LIVE ON CH NINE/STREAMED ON 9now.com.au)
Match: Bulldogs vs Jets
Kick off: 1:10pm
Venue: Penrith Panthers Stadium

1. Mason Cerruto
2. Joshua Bergamin
3. Lachlan Lewis
4. John Olive - also named in first grade
5. Reimis Smith
6. Josh Cleeland - NRL.COM indicated recently he was injured and classed as "indefinite". This report has since been pulled from the official NRL site.
7. Matt Frawley
8. Francis Tualau
9. Nu Brown
10. Renouf To’omaga - also named in first grade
11. Jayden Okunbor
12. Rhyse Martin - also named in first grade
13. Ofahiki Ogden

14. Bronson Garlick
15. Jack Nelson
16. Lachlan Burr
17. D’Rhys Miller
19. Hayden Ashcroft

Will probably lose this one as well unless our forwards aim up this week.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Live on Ch9, and for those interstate or without an antenna.
9now.com.au (but you need a free account and need a legit email address as it confirms).

Divert this thread to consolidated thread.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Got the recording set up for 9HD. Would loved to have been there at the ground though as our clashes with Newtown are always a bit heated (especially when they were the feeder club for the Roosters...)

The boys need to stand up today and give coach some viable options as pressure on some of the first grade squad. Our halves need to perform today; of late too much MIA.
Cleeland though will never be anything other than an Intrust player I am afraid, he is one of those guys who just can't quite make the step up. Can do some good things in attack when he is on but is a liability in defence. Frawley, well he could have been something but has really showed nothing since Hasler gave him a run and he actually was okay but to be a first grade player in the halves you need to perform week in week out.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Live on Ch9, and for those interstate or without an antenna.
9now.com.au (but you need a free account and need a legit email address as it confirms).

Divert this thread to consolidated thread.
Mr I that is only 9HD yes and CH9 Sydney metro?? We get WIN up here as our version of 9 and can't locate that on the TV guide.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How good is it watching the boys on tv

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Mr I that is only 9HD yes and CH9 Sydney metro?? We get WIN up here as our version of 9 and can't locate that on the TV guide.
I believe so?

If you have okay internet you can stream it on 9Now. I'm on fibre to the home NBN (100Mbit), and it streams in full HD for me!

How good is it watching the boys on tv
I know.. full credit to NSWRL for making that happen (but gees it's long overdue). QRL have had it for ages.

I'd like to seem them televise/stream SG Ball and H Matts as well as Flegg... I think it'd get a much better overview of the game for fans, and allow fans to follow players from their early career to NRL (if they make it)..

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Im assuming we wont get it televised up here in QLd...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Nope, in other states and outside of Sydney coverage areas, you need to watch via 9now.com.au

That's how I watch it as our new place does not have a FTA TV antenna (and I'm not paying to have one installed).

Head over to www.9now.com.au, and sign up with a valid email address, and you can watch the game / call live streamed.

Not sure how it goes on non NBN connections, but on NBN it's smooth as.

Status
Not open for further replies.