2016 Hooker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm usually not one to delve into hypotheticals like this, but I can't help but wonder, what happens next year if Cook continues the same form for our remaining games this year - particularly if we do well in the finals.

Lichaa has been good this year, particularly in defence, and he's still developing, but Cook outperformed his by a country mile.

Hypothetical, I know, but if this happens, Des would need a strong argument to keep Cook out of first grade.

The thing is, Des recruited Lichaa, on big $ considering his lack of experience. It wouldn't be an ideal look for Des, as an employee of the club, to spend big $ on a hooker, only to replace him with an existing NSW Cup player.

However Cook performs, I just hope Des picks the better player, not the one he feels he needs to prove something through.

He he could even play both in FG. Des likes his 4 forward bench, but next year's interchange is reduced.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
I was wondering the same the same thing. I've also heard that Cook wants to stay and was close to signing a new deal. If he kills its for the rest of the year someone else will pick him up and we'll be playing Lichaa. Like I said at the beginning of the year Des has big wraps on Lichaa to take Robbie Who's? jersey for NSW.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I love cookie and have been a fan of his for ages.
But I'm not so sure he outplayed lichaa as thoroughly as people are making out ? He came up with a couple of special plays, for sure, but in general his game was no better or worse than lichaa.
I'd be happy with either, or both, in the team next year.

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love cookie and have been a fan of his for ages.
But I'm not so sure he outplayed lichaa as thoroughly as people are making out ? He came up with a couple of special plays, for sure, but in general his game was no better or worse than lichaa.
I'd be happy with either, or both, in the team next year.
Agreed.

Lichaa has been very good for us this year..and consistent

Malla

Reaction score
Lichaa 10000%.

Cook can finish the year strong, but he still isn't anywhere near the level Lichaa is at/will be at.

Gingerbread Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I see Lichaa as a defensive hooker like Jake Friend and Ballin and Cook as a more attacking hooker like Segyaro.

I personally prefer how Cook plays if he can keep it up. I like his crisp passes off the ground and how he jumps out of dummy-half that puts the defense on their heels and gives our forwards time and also gives Hodko and Mbye time to get the ball out to the fringes. Lichaa is significantly slower and hence our forwards and halves don't have the same time.

Last week Cook made 49 tackles, set up a try and scored another. Sure he threw a couple of bad passes but those are wonderful stats. We will see if he can keep it up. I hope so.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its a good problem to have, cook could also fill in for certain roles when origin and injuries hit kinda like how mbye had been doing. We all know reynolds is getting suspended some time next year.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
At hooker we can only trust Hasler to select the player who will give us the best advantage in attack from dummy half. Although Hasler does get that warm and fuzzy feeling about strong defence so Lichaa could be in front there.

But if Lichaa does get the no.9 job I hope like hell Hasler doesn't include Cook in his revolving door halves rotation thing. That sort of shit just reduces our bench to three impact players instead of four.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
He's had one good game where our forwards dominated. Needs to be consistent but he didn't look out of place at all.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We can all see how Des makes the number 9 play and if Cook stays in the team long term he would be moulded to play that same way.

I said last year that if all Des wants from his 9 was a good passing game and tackling he may as well put Cook in and save the money he paid for Lichaa, this week will tell if Des allows him to play the game that suits him or changes it.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is better than a cook he is more like a chef

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I also don't understand how people are overrating Cook after 1 game against the Souths. Lichaa has been amazingly consistent this entire season and it's only now that our team is starting to play consistent football since before the Good Friday clash.

Hodkinson was absolutely terrible for the first half of the season and Mbye was in and out of the side, our forwards were either overplaying their hand or not doing enough, Cook looks good and he is good but how would he have done throughout the entire season especially during the period when we were playing like a sack of sh!t. I would like him off the bench as well next year but Lichaa has been a defensive rock and has shown glimpses of his attacking potential, Des is moulding him into a solid defensive hooker and then hopefully giving him more free reign in attack next season

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Lichaa has been amazing in defence all year. Haven't seen an attacking game from him at all, although that could be because that's the way he is coached to play. Really needs to work on his service out of dummy half, I think he is really lacking in that area of his game.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guys, relax.... Not saying Cook isn't a good player BUT our forwards were the best I have seen last week, they allowed for cook to shine! Today will be interesting

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cook is quicker from dummy half and ran to the line more than Lichaa has all year. Big difference in momentum.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Wow people are so quick to judge here.

Status
Not open for further replies.