2012 - The race for finals spots ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Maybe it's the safety of a guaranteed finals spot, but I'm finding the last 5 rounds / Top-8 sh*tfight totally hilarious.

Quick recap with 5 rounds to go ...

4th = Cowboys - 26pts (+82)
5th = Brisbane - 26pts (+62)
6th = Manly - 26pts (+35)
7th = Cronulla - 25pts (-12)
8th = Gold Coast - 22pts (-2)
9th = Knights - 22pts (-4)
10th = Wests Tigers - 22pts (-35)
11th = St George - 22pts (-50)
12th = Warriors - 20pts (+23)
13th = Canberra - 20pts (-69)

The games below in bold are matches where these teams play each other, thus affecting the potential make-up of the finals.

Cowboys = Manly (H), Warriors (H), St.George (A), Knights (H), Cronulla (A)
Brisbane = Canberra (A), Bulldogs (A), Storm (H), Manly (A), Penrith (H)
Manly = Cowboys (A), Souths (A), Knights (H), Brisbane (H), Gold Coast (A)
Cronulla = Warriors (A), Knights (A), Souths (H), Storm (A), Cowboys (H)
Gold Coast = Souths (H), Storm (A), Parra (H), Penrith (A), Manly (H)
Knights = Bulldogs (H), Cronulla (H), Manly (A), Cowboys (A), Souths (H)
Wests = Parra (H), St.George (H), Bulldogs (A), Roosters (A), Storm (H)
St.George = Roosters (A), Tigers (A), Cowboys (H), Warriors (H), Parra (A)
Warriors = Cronulla (H), Cowboys (A), Penrith (H), St.George (A), Canberra (H)
Canberra = Brisbane (H), Penrith (A), Roosters (H), Bulldogs (H), Warriors (A)

Ultimately, I think Cowboys are a shoe-in to make it, and Canberra will bomb out of contention this week unless they beat Brisbane. But for now, this is the list of "mathematical chances". At this stage, teams 1-3 WILL make it, and teams 14-16 WON'T.

Last edited by a moderator:

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
**** I hope we belt the Knights next week

LSD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Looking at that list i'm thinking:

5th Manly 32pts
6th Cowboys 30pts
7th Cronulla 29pts
8th St George 28pts

Most probably wrong though, there always seems to be upsets. It will certainly make for some interesting viewing coming into the finals.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
The current top 6 will all make it.
I think the Dragons will make 7th or 8th spot, they have the best run in.
Titans, massive game this weekend, win that and they get 7th or 8th I rekon.
Cronulla are definately in trouble to hold their spot, they need to find another 2 wins, no easy games.
Knights are going good but they play the best this weekend and then look at their last 3 games, they are not at that level.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Can Manly and Sharks win another two ?

Can Titans, Tigers, Saints or Newie win 3 from 5 ?

rifraf

New Pup
Reaction score
manly won't miss the 8, ill tell you what will be nicer if we beat them to reach the gf hahahahaha

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't like the Warriors, I hate their fans, and I don't want them to make it. But honestly, they always seem to be the team that doesn't make it, but is definitely good enough or at least better than what their final table position suggests.

They somehow manage to lose so many very winnable games, almost every season. E.g. vs Manly, vs Sharks vs Knights etc. I think they should win all of their remaining home games. Don't think they'll beat NQ or STG away from home though.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Of all of them id love to see Manly miss the eight... Why??
Because their supporters need a dose of reality. Constantly belittling other sides and claiming they are going back to back.. they need a reality check and to build a bridge re Hasler moving on. It's like they can't let a grudge go because its almost personal to them.

I know our supporters give it to opposition, but look at Twitter and the like and some of the comments made are beyond disgraceful.

Manly aren't the best, nor second or third best side in the comp.

I can see them losing all but to the Titans to be honest. All their other games are against form sides who are coming good. Warriors win wasn't a Manly win, but a Warriors loss. They choked and their defence got sloppy. Any of the others they are left to play would have kept going at 18 up and made the scoreline ugly.
I still think Manly could win it all. They have a pretty tough run in, but even so, they've been there and done it before. They have quite a strong pack, an origin backrow, one of the best hookers in the game, a top halves combination, an origin fullback, good centres and their wingers are both solid.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My opinion of how it will end...

Bulldogs 40 points
Rabbitohs 38 points
Storm 34 points
Sea Eagles 32 points
Cowboys 32 points
Sharks 31 points
Broncos 30 points
Tigers 26 points
Titans 26 points
Dragons 26 points
Raiders 26 points
Warriors 26 points
Panthers 24 points
Knights 22 points
Roosters 19 points
Eels 18 points

Dogs vs. Rabbitohs grand final.

If anyone beats us in the finals, it's the Rabbitohs.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My opinion of how it will end...

Bulldogs 40 points
Rabbitohs 38 points
Storm 34 points
Sea Eagles 32 points
Cowboys 32 points
Sharks 31 points
Broncos 30 points
Tigers 26 points
Titans 26 points
Dragons 26 points
Raiders 26 points
Warriors 26 points
Panthers 24 points
Knights 22 points
Roosters 19 points
Eels 18 points

Dogs vs. Rabbitohs grand final.

If anyone beats us in the finals, it's the Rabbitohs.
If this is the final table, under the new finals system, we will have a Finals Week 1 match-up with the Sea Eagles.

col of birchmen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon Sharks are in trouble even when their stars come back. Kinda good for us that Souths are carrying on about how they are going to win the comp, that team has had nothing for so long now they are carrying on abut how they are favourites, with Kasiano and Keating back we have them covered.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
I reckon Sharks are in trouble even when their stars come back. Kinda good for us that Souths are carrying on about how they are going to win the comp, that team has had nothing for so long now they are carrying on abut how they are favourites, with Kasiano and Keating back we have them covered.
Let SouFFS have their time, they will crash and burn in the finals and it will be another 40 years til those Redfern dummies in Armani make the semis again

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Watmough finally gets done for a chicken wing this year. Grade 2 so facing 1 to 2 weeks depending on if he takes early guilty plea or tries to fight it.

Good to finally see NRL cracking down on thus dirty habit before a player ends up with a broken arm.

If Stewart and Choc don't play versus Cowboys, and Cowboys turn up like this weekend, Manly are in for a long night.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Of all of them id love to see Manly miss the eight... Why??
Because their supporters need a dose of reality. Constantly belittling other sides and claiming they are going back to back.. they need a reality check and to build a bridge re Hasler moving on. It's like they can't let a grudge go because its almost personal to them.

I know our supporters give it to opposition, but look at Twitter and the like and some of the comments made are beyond disgraceful.

Manly aren't the best, nor second or third best side in the comp.

I can see them losing all except maybe to the Titans to be honest. All their other games are against form sides who are coming good. Warriors win wasn't a Manly win, but a Warriors loss. They choked and their defence got sloppy. Any of the others they are left to play would have kept going at 18 up and made the scoreline ugly.

Foran and DCE are settled on big contracts so can kick back and relax now, no need to play for a contact. Brett is "injured" but coming back every week. He's actually been making enquiries (via manager) with ESL sides during his injury (a mate whose brother plays in UK ESL tells me). There are a few interested parties ready to offer big money his way (more than Manly are willing to part with). Thus part the reason Manly just signed up a promising Toyota cup fullback). Name escapes me.
That would be great!!! Honestly would love to see the silvertails implode and Tooves on his raggs for the next 5 weeks :grinning:

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The warriors losing that game on saturday night almost ruined my weekend.. I was so looking forward to the press conference and to hear toovey unleash but then the warriors typically have to choke to death.

To be fair, there was a play about 10 minutes out when they were still winning 22-10 where the gulls knocked on but the refs claimed the warriors touched it. They got a repeat set and scored.. that completely ruined it for them.

Us getting the minor premiership (and premiership!), Manly missing the 8 and parra getting the spoon would = the ultimate year.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just did some working out.

WORST CASE SCENARIO:
Bulldogs can end up in 8th position, but we cannot be knocked out of the 8. We'd need to lose every match for this to happen.
Manly CAN take minor premiership by winning all games. Bulldogs needs 2 wins to prevent that occurring.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Oops ... forgot to factor in a Broncos slump didn't we ? :becky:

I still think Broncos will make it comfortably, but I'll go edit the top post.

Status
Not open for further replies.