2006 Final v Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Anyone watch the Sunday Roast on the weekend?

Darren Lockyer was talking about the 2006 final against the dogs. Said that when both teams went up the tunnel at half time, Willie Mason was heard saying to some of the boys, "we're going to another grand final!" This was all in an ear shot of Brad Thorne and Shane Webcke!!

We were up 20-6 I'm sure you'll all remember. The broncos then come out and gave us a towelling. I remember willie standing in the in goal after the 3rd try with his hands on his hips looking like a stunned mullet.

Nice one Willie!

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
06 was a good year. shame it ended the way it did… But Lockyer had a special season. Even for him.

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
Someone got hurt and changed the momentum of the game. Norton?

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Holdsworth was toweling them up in the first half, injured his ankle just before halftime...

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This game was placed in my "vault" never watch again! They have replayed it on fox a few times and the channel is flicked over. Mates still give me grief about it. I saw Dean Ritchie the following week at a party for Laurie Daley in darling harbour. He confirmed that Mason was screaming at everyone that the dogs were in another gf. Apparently Bennetts halftime speech revolved around "do you hear what that f%&khead is saying?"

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
Holdsworth was toweling them up in the first half, injured his ankle just before halftime...
Yeah it was too, cheers mate. Was at the game with a mate that supports the donkeys. By the time we got back from the bar at half-time, they were just about back in front. Nightmare material.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
This game was placed in my "vault" never watch again! They have replayed it on fox a few times and the channel is flicked over. Mates still give me grief about it. I saw Dean Ritchie the following week at a party for Laurie Daley in darling harbour. He confirmed that Mason was screaming at everyone that the dogs were in another gf. Apparently Bennetts halftime speech revolved around "do you hear what that f%&khead is saying?"
100% the same. It's the angriest I've ever been at any team we've had.

It 'broke' me. But I didn't reach rock-bottom until 2008.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Even looking back it still hurts. I remember at halftime celebrating like a maniac and in disbelief that we'd made 2 GFs in 3 years. That second half and the image of Justin Hodges and Shaun Berrigan towling is up will be burned in my head forever.

Instead of learning our lesson from that, we had a mediocre 2007 and a disaster 2008.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The broncos beat us 30-0 that year only a few weeks prior to that finals game, why any of the bulldogs got cocky is beyond me.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even looking back it still hurts. I remember at halftime celebrating like a maniac and in disbelief that we'd made 2 GFs in 3 years. That second half and the image of Justin Hodges and Shaun Berrigan towling is up will be burned in my head forever.

Instead of learning our lesson from that, we had a mediocre 2007 and a disaster 2008.
I forgot how good Berrigan was during their run. He was unreal that finals series

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
The broncos beat us 30-0 that year only a few weeks prior to that finals game, why any of the bulldogs got cocky is beyond me.
Yeah exactly. But then again look at who was in the team and that will answer your question.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

All we needed was Tariq Sims lol

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Let's start a thread about the day my nan died or when my puppy got run over by a car too. You know since I'm in the mood for that stuff now after being forced to remember this game.

DOGSOFWAR2013

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A part of me died that day. Have done my best to forget that game. This game to us is what 98 is to parramatta.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A case of what if IMO. When berrigan scored that massive try, the pass from hodges to put him away was easily 3m forward. Oh well!

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
20-6...

Still I think this is biggest choke I have seen from us in a semi final...

N

Natboy

Once a dumb **** always a dumb ****. I'd like Willie a lot more if they had cut his tongue out at birth

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was there. One of the most demoralizing losses I've attended.

We were playing quick and rolling down the field in the first half. Then Holdsworth got injured, which I thought was what changed the game, but really the Broncos just come out with the right attitude in the second half. That word again, momentum. They did the same to us, as we did to them in the first half. Blew us off the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.