2004 - our best season ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastabation

Reaction score
I was talking to sam (bd05) and we both agreed that 2004 was our best season ever. Yeah, the stuff off the feild at the start of the year wasn't much fun at the time but it added to the roller coaster ride of winning the title in such brilliant fashion. There were so many great days in the season. The big win in round 13 over the roosters, the 70 years match against penrith... the brisbane game at suncorp and our big wins over the knights and warriors in the last 2 rounds are examples.

The semis was also awesome. Losing to the cowboys in week 1 was get wrenching but it made the awesome wins against the storm and the panthers that much sweeter.

And finally... to beat the roosters in the grand final. Round 9 in 2003 and round 13 in 2004 gave alot of satisfaction but this win well and truely showed the roosters fans what we are made of. They wrote us off and said we were chokers and we came out and beat them. For 2.5 years we watched the roosters players and fans gloat and parade themselves as the bench mark while they continually knocked us on their team forums, the radio, and at the games. The 2004 premiership provided ultimate satisfaction and a real sense of closure in regards to the 2002 heartbreak, the 2003 heartbreak, and the mistreatment courtesy of the media earlier in the season.

I think for alot of reasons it was our best year ever. Die hard dogs fans from the 80s may well disagree and I respect that, but i reckon our boys would of been any other canterbury side in our 70 year history.

Go the dogs.

I am so excited about the rest of 2005, I know we're gonna have another fantastic year. I love every player that played in that 2004 team... whether they are with us now, will be with us in the future, or have already moved on.

M

Makavelli

Man reading that has just pumped me up even more i cant wait to see how we go this year.Season 2004 was by far the best season in the clubs history, even though we had a bad start to the season i couldnt have asked for a better finnish.All the events that occurred early last season just made the win even more sweeter.

I will always remember players like Price,Thurston,Mason,Anasta,Sherwin ect.No matter what happens in the future IMO those players are already bulldogs legends

Here's to the doggies winning back to back premierships. :beerchug:

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I remember as a kid having the thrill of 1985, a season when we were never really expected to back up for a back to back. We had a rough start to the year and made a late season surge. Not many gave us a chance against Saints in the decider after they flogged us only two weeks before yet we came through.

And who could ever forget that extra time Semi Final win over Balmain at the SCG????? I think that was one of the best finals games I remember us playing.

In saying as much 2004 was just magic to see the club get over as much turmoil and coem out at the other end on top. 2005 already smells a little bit like 1985. Any chance we end up having another late season surge to win back to back?

A

atomic_crimson

what was all the more sweeter... is these rooster supporters when we beat them in round 13 kept saying... it doesnt matter... it matters in the finals... they were soooooo sure of themselves smashing us in the final that when we did beat them it was that much sweeter...

for me personally the fact i got hammered by chook fans at the gee eff... abused bout everything.... esp at half time.. .when the dogs won i just smiled at the all.... inbetween my cheerin and numerous phone calls... i just held my huge flag high and smiled at the all.... :D

DJ1

Ninjadillo
Reaction score
1980 was also awesome!

Our first premiership for 38 years!

~max~

Executioner
Reaction score
I loved the 80's it was a good era for the Bulldogs winning in 80 , 84 , 85 , 88. Since then we have been one of the most consistent teams year in year out.It was only a matter of time before we won the premiership again.Now we have won a premiership evey decade for the last 3 decades.We were also the most sucsessful team in the Winfield Cup by winning the 95 premiership we pipped Parramatta by one premiership , a fact I like to remind one of my Parra mates when ever he remenices about his team of old.

midas

Kennel Established
Reaction score
if the Bulldogs had beaten any other team in the grand final, i would say no... but to play the Roosters who had won in 2002 after the Dogs had been kicked out, whose fans had continually ranted on about being the benchmark and dominant team of the century, and labelling us "cheaterbury", "dirty dogs", "rapists" etc. made it extra sweet...

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i remember the 1998 gf like it was just yesterday

and i dont remember much about 1998 eithier

G

greekstyle2000

2002 would of been the best season if that cap scandal thing didnt happen doggies would of went all the way that year

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
greekstyle2000 said:
2002 would of been the best season if that cap scandal thing didnt happen doggies would of went all the way that year

well hopefully for the componsation for the 2 years of **** they go all the way this year!!!

Think of it this way, last years premiership was to componsate for 2002 and this years one will be to componsate for CH!!

Bellz

Bellz
Reaction score
anastabation said:
I was talking to sam (bd05) and we both agreed that 2004 was our best season ever. Yeah, the stuff off the feild at the start of the year wasn't much fun at the time but it added to the roller coaster ride of winning the title in such brilliant fashion. There were so many great days in the season. The big win in round 13 over the roosters, the 70 years match against penrith... the brisbane game at suncorp and our big wins over the knights and warriors in the last 2 rounds are examples.

The semis was also awesome. Losing to the cowboys in week 1 was get wrenching but it made the awesome wins against the storm and the panthers that much sweeter.

And finally... to beat the roosters in the grand final. Round 9 in 2003 and round 13 in 2004 gave alot of satisfaction but this win well and truely showed the roosters fans what we are made of. They wrote us off and said we were chokers and we came out and beat them. For 2.5 years we watched the roosters players and fans gloat and parade themselves as the bench mark while they continually knocked us on their team forums, the radio, and at the games. The 2004 premiership provided ultimate satisfaction and a real sense of closure in regards to the 2002 heartbreak, the 2003 heartbreak, and the mistreatment courtesy of the media earlier in the season.

I think for alot of reasons it was our best year ever. Die hard dogs fans from the 80s may well disagree and I respect that, but i reckon our boys would of been any other canterbury side in our 70 year history.

Go the dogs.

I am so excited about the rest of 2005, I know we're gonna have another fantastic year. I love every player that played in that 2004 team... whether they are with us now, will be with us in the future, or have already moved on.
Well said and I agree 100%. Apart from everything that went on at the beginning of the year and everything the club, players and fans had to go through, and to win the gf especially against the roosters just made the year.
They deserved the gf more than any other team in the nrl!

Gutty

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It was a brilliant season...i just hope there is no hang-over this year !

me8590

all who wander r not lost
Reaction score
Bulldogs84 said:
well hopefully for the componsation for the 2 years of **** they go all the way this year!!!

Think of it this way, last years premiership was to componsate for 2002 and this years one will be to componsate for CH!!

yep exactly...that would b perfect
we noe the doggies hav got evry chance 2 do it again!

The Entertainers

AKA Brad
Reaction score
yeh I agree 100% it was our best season after hearing all that rape scandals and **** no one would've fought we would take the title but we did which is the best season ever

bringiton

Waterboy
Reaction score
sorry boys i hav to disagree i still believe strongly dat 2002 was our best season by far, dats prior to all the crap dat happened. We dominated dat comp and it felt awesome. There was none of this unpredicatablity. We were so strong and no one could touch us. Only fing that impressed me in 2004 more then 2002 is our newly equipt players

Prodigal Son

Kennel Established
Reaction score
IMHO the Bulldogs 2004 win was the most remarkable win by any side in the history of the premiership (well, at least since I first became aware of rugby league back in 1972) given all the rubbish that the club had to put up with in the early part of the season. 2004 saw the lowest of lows and the highest of highs for Bulldogs supporters. If there is a theme song for the Bulldogs in 2004 I reckon it would have to be the 90s hit How Bizzare by OMC - the title says it all!

For me though, 1984 was my favourite year for Bulldogs wins. The club won the minor premiership convincingly and were the best team all season. I attended more Bulldogs games (about 16) that year than any other year and for most of those games I had the company of my (back then) best friend (also a keen Canterbury fan). I was a lot more passionate about football back then than what I am today (the Superleague-ARL feud, amalgamations of clubs, Bulldogs leaving Belmore, Souths axing etc etc have made me a lot more cynical about the game than I was before 1995).

I agree with some of the other posters in that the 2004 side could beat any of the 1980s sides, but what does one expect? I mean things like training methods, professionalism, treatment of injuries, techonlogy etc are better today than they were back in the 1980s! The question one should ask is "if the 1980s players had access to the same training methods, professionalism, treatment of injuries, techonlogy etc, would they beat the 2004 side"?

Last edited by a moderator:

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Since becoming a dog supporter since 1991 id say 2004 was the best year...

But a lot of you guys are saying 1984 and 1985 and from there we were called the team of september i believe it is?

Dog-E

Purebreed
Reaction score
I'll never forget Terry Lamb during 1995...That is the best I've EVER seen any one player...play so well...for so long!

He dragged us kicking & screaming into the GF after we had finished 6th on the table!...Plus Jimmy Dymock, Dean Pay & Jason Smith - 3 of the 'infamous 4' on FIRE!...Rocket Rod Silva tearning it up - Craig Polla-Mounter & Jason Hetherington - 2 of the most Bulldog-like Bulldogs ever at their best - the regular season we played some ordinary footy at times...But Maaaan, that Finals series was unrivalled for mine for drama & tension & us upsetting EVERYONE to win the Premiership!

And I was at most of those home games & every one of those finals games and the Grand Final - my first!

Great days!! :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.