News 1979 semi finals photo

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great work BB! I attended all those finals with my old man and brother fuck they were great times..ohh except for the GF when we wuz was robbed(blatant forward pass in one try).
I remember Rex Mossop calling that pass 1 metre forward on tv on that first try. That try ended up being the difference. We were robbed as you said.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I remember Rex Mossop calling that pass 1 metre forward on tv on that first try. That try ended up being the difference. We were robbed as you said.
Yeh mate we charged home after being down maybe 13-0 at half-time I think it was, most unlucky on the day.The next year made up for it I guess but still kinda still think we should have gone back to back.
If so it would have been 5 premierships in 10 years (79),80,84,85 & 88

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great work BB! I attended all those finals with my old man and brother fuck they were great times..ohh except for the GF when we wuz was robbed(blatant forward pass in one try).
That GF was heartbreaking.
I was there as a kid and half time was hard to handle 17-2.
We made a game of it in the end and the worst sound of all was the siren when we had all the momentum.
On another note I remember also that day, the under 23s gf and there was this unknown eels winger that was hobbling with his knee heavily strapped. He scored some barnstorming tries beating defenders at will. It was none other than the great Eric Grothe.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We made a game of it in the end and the worst sound of all was the siren when we had all the momentum.
On another note I remember also that day, the under 23s gf and there was this unknown eels winger that was hobbling with his knee heavily strapped. He scored some barnstorming tries beating defenders at will. It was none other than the great Eric Grothe.
Yeh I just checked your right 17-2 down we were and Steve Gearin had an off day with the boot as well(some great highlights are on the NRL website even the whole game Is there)remember Stan Cutler who I loved along with Gearin cutting down a flying Brian Johnson after his 80 metre run bloody brilliant.
Spot on about Grothe too what a player he was! Nearly unstoppable and an absolute gun.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
St George broke our line at will and would have scored close to 40 if it wasn't for Turvey. He kept us in the game with his trademark cover tackles. He must have saved at least 3 tries or more.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh mate we charged home after being down maybe 13-0 at half-time I think it was, most unlucky on the day.The next year made up for it I guess but still kinda still think we should have gone back to back.
If so it would have been 5 premierships in 10 years (79),80,84,85 & 88
We should have won 86 as well. On the parra tryline with seconds to go and an overlap and stupid Bugden goes for himself from dummy half instead of passing it to Turvey to set up the GF winning try. Turvey was pissed when the siren went.

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeh I just checked your right 17-2 down we were and Steve Gearin had an off day with the boot as well(some great highlights are on the NRL website even the whole game Is there)remember Stan Cutler who I loved along with Gearin cutting down a flying Brian Johnson after his 80 metre run bloody brilliant.
Spot on about Grothe too what a player he was! Nearly unstoppable and an absolute gun.
It was a great match. Are you sure it wasn’t Turvey bringing down Johnson with one of his brilliant scything cover defence tackles?

I loved how the little bloke used to prowl between the front line and the fullback in defence, waiting to pounce on any line break and put them over the sideline.

I guess that old style defensive line wouldn’t work in the modern game, with the 10m rule and sliding (not a compressed umbrella) defence.