News 1979 reggies finals article

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That was a great Reserve Grade side, never missed a game when I went to Belmore. Bernie McDonald was one of my favourite players but never kicked on, not sure why? Obviously with Chris and Peter Mortimer ahead of him in First Grade, (and Greg Brentnall when he played in the centres) it was going to be difficult.

Brothers boy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That was a great Reserve Grade side, never missed a game when I went to Belmore. Bernie McDonald was one of my favourite players but never kicked on, not sure why? Obviously with Chris and Peter Mortimer ahead of him in First Grade, (and Greg Brentnall when he played in the centres) it was going to be difficult.
Bernie went back to the north coast to resume teaching the following year mate, job security

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Great article from the time capsule!
Alan Geelan , Pat English and Mal Creevey my favorite players from that side.
I think we stormed to the GF in 79 along with the first grade team but lost the big one, only to bounce back and beat Parra in 80 (doing the double in FG when we beat the Rorters….bloody brilliant!)

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah, we lost to St George in 79 and beat Easts in 1980. The Eels had 3 premierships on the trot 81, 82 and 83, we beat Parra in 84, St George in 85 and we lost to Parra in 86 in a tryless GF 4-2. That 86 gf left a sour taste in my mouth because I believe the game was gifted to the Eels because it was Ray Price and Michael Cronin's last game. That was to be Parra's last GF to date.....karma I reckon.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you are talking about beating Parra in the reserves in 1980. That makes sense.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah, we lost to St George in 79 and beat Easts in 1980. The Eels had 3 premierships on the trot 81, 82 and 83, we beat Parra in 84, St George in 85 and we lost to Parra in 86 in a tryless GF 4-2. That 86 gf left a sour taste in my mouth because I believe the game was gifted to the Eels because it was Ray Price and Michael Cronin's last game. That was to be Parra's last GF to date.....karma I reckon.
We would have won 86 if Bugden had passed to Turvey to set up the match winner rather than go for himself from dummy half on the siren.