News 10 DEAD,11 INJURED IN BUS CRASH

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Driver can't force adults to buckle up. If Police catch adults unbuckled in a bus with seatbelts the unbuckled passenger cops the fine and demerits.
I'm guessing the rules are different for large vehicles. I know with cars if the passenger doesn't buckle up, the driver and the passanger are fined.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Would be 100x harder to force 50 potentially drunk people too
Yeah, people who drive drunk buses have a nightmare. All of that adds up to any bus driver needs to make 100% certain they are driving to the road laws and conditions, because if something goes wrong anyone not buckled becomes a missile, and the driver will cop the whole blame unless they can prove beyond a doubt that they were blameless.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm guessing the rules are different for large vehicles. I know with cars if the passenger doesn't buckle up, the driver and the passanger are fined.
Yup, it is a bit different for school buses, if there are seatbelts anyone under 16 (I think, or 17) is the responsibility of the driver. Year 11 or 12 kids who are old enough are responsible for themselves though.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No morals or empathy whatsoever.

Same goes for all of their reporting on most issues these days.

All they care about are clicks and advertising revenue over people's lives and mental health.
Its a reminder that we all should ensure access to photos on social media is only available for specific users not the public. These journalists first thing they do when they get names of victims is trawl through the victims and friends Social Media accounts to find photos they can use in articles.

Reporters are scum and they don't care about privacy of the victims and/or family. Saying that victims were from a wedding attended by members of the mentioned sporting teams should have been enough, without naming them individually, at least that quickly.

As far as reporting on it because people want to see, while I agree that is why you get most traffic problems after accidents, its not from the lane being closed, its all the rubber necking. But just like at accidents where they quickly try to obstruct the view of the victims in bad accidents, consideration should also be given by journalists/reporters on what details they report.

I knew someone that was mentioned in a tragedy, confirmed details was limited for a period of time, but whenever I looked on media sites to see if any new information was being reported, every time you were assaulted by photos that you didn't need to see, that were obtained from a victims social media account.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From reports, they were in seat belts. Some expert spoke to Daily Mail claiming that might have been the reason more people were injured on the side that opened like a tin when it hit the armco.

Buses aren't really known for their structural integrity, and to be honest, even though side airbags on a coach could be a thing, you'd never expect to have to use them to save a life.

In other words the chances of something like this happening outside of driver stupidity are pretty slim.

This all said, maybe airbags should be a thing in coaches, or at least some structural rigidity built in, in the form of a rollcage style design with side protection (like speedway cars).

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
beyond terrible

Family asked for DNA for some who survived due to horrific injuries.. that’s intense :(:cry:

poor kids who lost both their parents :cry:

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a reminder that we all should ensure access to photos on social media is only available for specific users not the public. These journalists first thing they do when they get names of victims is trawl through the victims and friends Social Media accounts to find photos they can use in articles.

Reporters are scum and they don't care about privacy of the victims and/or family. Saying that victims were from a wedding attended by members of the mentioned sporting teams should have been enough, without naming them individually, at least that quickly.

As far as reporting on it because people want to see, while I agree that is why you get most traffic problems after accidents, its not from the lane being closed, its all the rubber necking. But just like at accidents where they quickly try to obstruct the view of the victims in bad accidents, consideration should also be given by journalists/reporters on what details they report.

I knew someone that was mentioned in a tragedy, confirmed details was limited for a period of time, but whenever I looked on media sites to see if any new information was being reported, every time you were assaulted by photos that you didn't need to see, that were obtained from a victims social media account.
Back in 2010 my brother (in law) died in tragic circumstances, the oldies came and stayed with me and wifey while they grieved, every time we went back to their house to grab some stuff for them there were jurnos waiting outside trying to get a story, apparently went to all the neighbours too (they all told them to get stuffed) eventually a couple of papers wrote a story and got a lot of the details completely wrong causing more grief to the old girl once she found out, I remember her screaming "how can they do this, can't they just let him be".

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
SMH
School had concerns about Hunter bus driver
School teachers raised concerns about a Hunter Valley bus driver just days before 10 wedding guests were killed when his coach rolled over in one of the deadliest crashes in decades. Green Point Christian College principal Phillip Nash emailed parents yesterday saying Brett Button, pictured, had driven their children on a three-and-a-half-hour excursion to Bathurst last week. Teachers raised concerns about Button at the end of the trip, which have now been passed on to the bus company Linq and police investigating the crash.

A spokesperson for Linq said the concerns had not been brought to their attention until yesterday, and they had not received complaints about Button before that. He has no criminal history and no serious traffic incident history in his decades on the road, Cessnock Local Court heard earlier this week as he was granted bail. However, police told the court there were 10 witnesses from Sunday night’s fatal crash who said Button engaged in a “prolonged” period of unsafe driving.

Premier Chris Minns visited a growing memorial near the crash site yesterday to lay a wreath and announce a $100,000 donation for the families of victims and survivors. He said the crash was “heartbreaking” but he has been moved by reports of generosity, including people offering their homes to the families of victims visiting from interstate. Earlier, Steven Symons paid tribute to his 21-year-old son Kane, who was killed in the crash. “He was adventurous ... he was only a kid,” he said of Kane, who was known fondly by his surf life saving club in Tasmania as “Superman”. Photo: Janie Barrett

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
beyond terrible

Family asked for DNA for some who survived due to horrific injuries.. that’s intense :(:cry:

poor kids who lost both their parents :cry:
That’s a brutal thought