News ‘Wildcard’ emerges for unwanted Shark – and it could spell trouble for exiled young gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as auditions for a new gig go, Shaun Johnson put himself in the shop window after delivering the matchwinning play on Friday night.

With the game on the line against the Panthers, Johnson came up clutch for the Sharks – the club that bizarrely doesn’t want him for 2022 – to seal the two points. His scrappy field goal made it 19-18 and fended off a Panthers comeback after the Sharks raced out to a 18-0 lead.

His composure at the death will no doubt have rival clubs pondering whether to take a punt on Johnson.

Now The Australian’s Brent Read has named a ‘wildcard’ among the list of places he could land – but the club faces a tricky conundrum over a young gun’s future.

He’s in a really interesting position, Shaun,” Read told Triple M on Saturday. “Obviously he’s been tapped by Cronulla. I’m not sure how much interest there is out there, particularly at the original asking price. He was originally asking for about two years, $1.6 million.

“There are clubs looking at him. The wildcard is Canterbury. I think they are mulling over what they will do because obviously [there’s] the Kyle Flanagan situation but I’m sure watching last night may convince them it is worth getting him next year. He’s a big game player and did the job last night.”

With Canterbury already bringing in 21-year-old Matt Burton for 2022 on a three-year-deal, Johnson’s experience – totalling 201 NRL games and 32 Test caps – would form an enticing pairing.

But the club still has Kyle Flanagan on its books for another two-and-a-half years, despite the former Sharks and Roosters playmaker having been brutally hooked at halftime in Round 9 and subsequently not being named in the squad.

The 22-year-old has promised not to ‘wave the white flag’ and is battling for his long-term future as an NRL halfback – but Johnson’s strong run of form could convince the club to try and nudge Flanagan out the door.

After proving the difference on Friday, Johnson was quick to make his feelings known about his future.

“I got the news a couple weeks back and it obviously wasn’t the news I wanted to hear,” he told WWOS.

“I had hopes of seeing my career out at this club. They gave me an opportunity three years ago. I have certainly enjoyed my time here. So, it’s not meant to be; they want to head in a different direction, I really do respect that.

“But for me all I can focus on is coming out here, getting some games under my belt, and trusting that next year will take care of itself. Tonight hopefully helps and if there are any clubs out there that are after a halfback, I’m your man. Come on.”

Johnson comes onto the open market when a number of rival clubs are hunting for a halfback or five-eighth.

Canberra is the most obvious destination for Johnson given they just released homesick English playmaker George Williams.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fkn lol @ "brutally hooked"

Which drama queen dribbled this pile of shit?
was going to quote the exact same thing thats a LOL indeed..it is a worry to buy Johnson though and have him here as well that's likely a million bucks worth of halfback all up..??

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol i was listening to this
And thought how long until these cunts turn it into a full blown article

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it only makes sense IF Flanagan goes in the opposite direction AND Johnson takes a significant pay cut

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If we don't make an offer for SJ...fuck :(

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He’s being a sook hasn’t played a game since he got dropped
Bro, I see kids like him every day in JRL. He has been babbied by his dad all his whole life, been falsely propped up and made to feel he is better than he actually is. The first time daddy isn't there to kiss his boo-boo, he buckles like a little child.

His drug cheat dad may of thought he was helping but all he did was help set him up for a massive fall.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Damn, and I was hoping we had officially made an offer and landed SJ.!!

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You for it? I'll use you as a gauge as I'm undecided.
Yep. I’m with you. @BEAST MODE will not shy away from calling out overrated non performers. If he reckons SJ is worth a go then I’ll come off the fence and support it too. My only question is will SJ complement Burton’s game or will he thwart and smother it?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
This is just an opinion, no rumour or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.