News ‘There’s nowhere for Greenberg to go except to resign’

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

The NRL – and in particular – CEO Todd Greenberg have come under fire after Channel 9 launched a scathing attack earlier in the week on Greenberg’s mismanagement of finances.

Speaking on Triple M Rocks NRL, James Hooper detailed how Nine’s statement was received by the NRL. He said Greenberg wasn’t too fazed by it because he’s not interested in being well-liked.

However, Paul Kent isn’t buying it. He sensationally called for the “totally delusional” Greenberg to resign from the top job because he has burned bridges with Nine – the NRL’s second biggest funder behind Fox Sports.

“It’s all bullshit in all honesty,” Kent said on Triple M Rocks NRL.

“To sit down and say ‘it’s water off a ducks back, I’m not here to be popular’ when your game’s second biggest funder … to sit there and dismiss the criticism is delusional, totally delusional.

“I don’t think there’s anywhere for Todd Greenberg to go except for to resign because the fact is Channel 9 have clearly indicated they’ve got no faith in him, he’s already on the outs with News Limited with the way he’s handled things in recent times.”

Kent went on to reveal he had been in contact with a number of clubs who would push for Greenberg to resign if they were called on by the ARLC commission.

“I spoke to some clubs this week, and I said to the clubs ‘would you move as a group to get Todd to resign given the game’s greatest funders have got no faith in him?’ And they said ‘we can do that and if the board want us to do that we’ll do that’.

“They’ve lost faith as well. ‘If the commission wants us to do it, we will do it but we have faith in Peter V’landys to do the right thing, so we’ll just leave it to Peter to see what gets done’.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/theres-nowhere-for-greenberg-to-go-except-to-resign-kent-calls-for-delusional-nrl-ceo-to-quit/news-story/73837b25d94af2094095c901cd81daab

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Vlandys is hardly instilling confidence right now. He was in the job for a few weeks and quickly put his hand out begging for bailout money. Next thing he's talking about privatisation of the game. He had nothing to say about the financial state of the game until the shit hit the fan. And while he didn't create the situation, it's hard to say that he scrutinized the finances and set about rationalising them early on.

So while I might not be calling for his head yet, I'd really hate to see the game privatised. It just means that for a short term cash injection, the game goes into a state where the profit margin in future has to perpetually fill the pockets of the new part owners.

Think outside the box. There have been rich overseas investors wanting to run teams. Offer them a ten year licence for enough money to get the game through this tough period. That way the game retains financial independence in future.

I could only imagine that if a media mogul bought a share in the game that they'd use it as leverage to get broadcast rights cheaply and take back a share of that money based on the amount of the game they owned.

I do want Greenberg gone. But the actions of Vlandys so far don't inspire confidence either.