News ‘Sack me’: Bulldogs star’s shock promise as enforcer opens up on brutal Gus ‘wake-up call’

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs star Tevita Pangai Junior has opened up on how a conversation with football boss Phil Gould served as a “wake-up call” after a disappointing season.

Pangai Junior has also revealed a shock deal he has made with Cameron Ciraldo, which would allow the new coach to show him the door if he doesn’t hold up his end.

The 26-year-old was one of the Bulldogs’ big-name recruits for 2022 but failed to live up to expectations — even being dropped to reserve grade at one stage.

Speaking to 9 News, Pangai Junior revealed he’s had a frank conversation with Gould.

“He just told me I need to have a better attitude coming into training and he’s not going to accept the stuff I did last year so it’s a good wake-up call,” he said.

“(I) just got comfortable and let the results get to me. But we’re professional athletes, we get paid well to put a performance in for our fans and members. I didn’t quite do that last year.”

Pangai Junior skipped the opportunity to represent Tonga at the Rugby League World Cup and will instead feature on the undercard of the boxing clash between Mark Hunt and Sonny Bill Williams.

He has shred 12 kilos while training for his fight according to 9 News and has already made a promise to Ciraldo about sticking to his current weight.

“I just told him that if I don’t come under 110kg then he can pretty much sack me. I’m a man of my word, if I don’t come in at 110kg then I’ll leave,” Pangai Junior said.

“I don’t want to leave the club, the way it’s heading. Cam’s a smart man, he knows Gus can get him a good roster.”

Pangai Junior has grown close to crosscode icon Williams — a former Bulldog — and believes his relationship will serve him well on the field.

“It starts with everyday habits and that’s why Sonny’s been great for me,” he said.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I know Tevita copped a lot of flack from us but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt....
Some games he was our best forward
And tried hard...
The tragic time him and his partner went through towards the end of last year would of been so tough... Things like that can change people and would be emotionally draining....
I think he'll be ok

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I know Tevita copped a lot of flack from us but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt....
Some games he was our best forward
And tried hard...
The tragic time him and his partner went through towards the end of last year would of been so tough... Things like that can change people and would be emotionally draining....
I think he'll be ok
Being our best forward some games
Trying hard some games

Just doesn’t cut it for someone on his pay packet. Forwards on 750k+ need to be doing it week in week out no exceptions

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Trying hard some games

Just doesn’t cut it for someone on his pay packet. Forwards on 750k+ need to be doing it week in week out no exceptions
True, but like I said...
Did go through a rough time at the end of last year... Personally wouldn't have been easy to focus on life let alone footy...

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This guy has alot to say, we've had many players like that over the years, hopefully he really does put in the effort required because he has the potential to be a really decent player.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Half
Trying hard some games

Half the problem is when you pay that sort of money to forwards in the first place.

But since we did it, we must live with it.
TPJ has been one of very few that had given us 2nd phase play. This cannot be understated.

If he is intent on doing better than last year, I'm happy. I just hope those around him can also lift.

I'm hoping Mahoney can stay alert on the offloads and make something of them

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Was an ad for brand SBW. Nothing more, nothing less.
The sooner TPJ gets out of that environment, the better.
Hopefully the Bulldog SWAT team gets in there first thing Sunday morning to pull him out.
What a circus.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well, I guess he has put it out there now so it's up to him come good on his promise

Maybe it's a way of keeping him on track, who knows

It's now his make or break season

If he commits and follows through on his promise and finally reaches his potential consistently, we have got ourselves an elite level forward who can heavily influence a game through offloads and his physicality

If he breaks the 110kg mark and we get more of the same performance inconsistency that we got this year, I imagine he is out the door at seasons end and we have a heap more $$ in our salary cap for 2024

Personally I hope he hits it out of the park and goes to the next level. We will be such a better team with him firing every week

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Well, I guess he has put it out there now so it's up to him come good on his promise

Maybe it's a way of keeping him on track, who knows

It's now his make or break season

If he commits and follows through on his promise and finally reaches his potential consistently, we have got ourselves an elite level forward who can heavily influence a game through offloads and his physicality

If he breaks the 110kg mark and we get more of the same performance inconsistency that we got this year, I imagine he is out the door at seasons end and we have a heap more $$ in our salary cap for 2024

Personally I hope he hits it out of the park and goes to the next level. We will be such a better team with him firing every week
Agree. Even this season in a shit roster and terrible season he still had games where he dominated everyone on the other teams pack (like the eels who was Arguably one of the best packs) and we haven’t had a player do that since sbw. Maybe the odd kasiano, Eastwood, Pritchard, jammer game (but I mean they all played usually in great packs so I mean not a individual stand out if carrying the pack) tpj carried the plodders.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TPJ was very good at times, and if we had the players to make something out of his offloads he would've looked even better. But he's never consistent and towards the end of the season he was just jogging into the defence. He needs to bring the aggression and the offloads, and hopefully a bit of leadership. It's good talk but I've heard that before from him at the Bronco's. In the Brisbane media it was regular. He knows how to say the right thing at the right time, but if actions do match the words this time, we're in for something good.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As soon as they start talking like that, you know it's not gonna happen.

The odds are against him, we've seen so many of these lazy big forwards who have 1 or 2 great seasons and live off reputation for the rest of their careers.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So shedding some kilos says I’m serious. I couldn’t care what weight u are, just play like a beast. Ur skilful enough, just want it and commit

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sharon woods x2 if this continues