News ‘People still love him’: Cleary says Panthers fans won’t turn on Crichton

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Even though he is a Panther I’ve liked him ever since he gave Cody Walker a GF nightmare

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think the Panthers fans (note Panthers - plural, there's more than one of them!) are entitled to be dirty. They are losing one of their up and coming stars to a competitor - not today, tomorrow or next week, but next year! And he will be playing for them all of this season. It happened last year with Bill Kikau, and it happened to us a few years ago with Jamal Idris (not that he was any great loss).

Permitting, even encouraging, a player to sign to play for a competitor a whole year out from the move, and in some cases a year and a bit, has got to be the single dumbest thing the NRL has ever done - and there are plenty of dumb things to choose from! The NRL management couldn't organize a sexual encounter in a disorderly house.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm glad we're getting Crichton and I'm glad we got Kikau, but it shouldn't be happening this way.
My place is pretty disorderly. And I have to say the NRL is not alone in being able to organise sexual encounters in such an environment.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the Panthers fans (note Panthers - plural, there's more than one of them!) are entitled to be dirty. They are losing one of their up and coming stars to a competitor - not today, tomorrow or next week, but next year! And he will be playing for them all of this season. It happened last year with Bill Kikau, and it happened to us a few years ago with Jamal Idris (not that he was any great loss).

Permitting, even encouraging, a player to sign to play for a competitor a whole year out from the move, and in some cases a year and a bit, has got to be the single dumbest thing the NRL has ever done - and there are plenty of dumb things to choose from! The NRL management couldn't organize a sexual encounter in a disorderly house.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm glad we're getting Crichton and I'm glad we got Kikau, but it shouldn't be happening this way.
What's your suggestion for an alternative?
Do it in June/July, half way through the season?
Do it as season's end when everyone (coaches, players, managers) just wants to go on holidays?

Always a Bulldog

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Do it as season's end when everyone (coaches, players, managers) just wants to go on holidays?
I don't find anything wrong with the system, he's not the first and won't be the last.

Its only in the media because it involves the dogs, if it was souths or tigers no one would care less.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
A club can talk to a player or his representative any time it wants to. If the NRL banned such discussions, it couldn't police the ban, and it would almost certainly be a restraint of trade anyway. It can say it will not recognize any binding agreements until after the weekly rounds are finished, when half of the players have completed their commitments for the season. If a player helps to get you to the grand final and announces he is moving on before the match is played, you can cut him a bit of slack.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Problem is the NRL gives too much power to the RLPA and the players, it was them that said they need to move and relocate families. Well when I change jobs its usually 4 weeks notice I have to give to my employer, and maybe I might take a 2 week break between jobs. More than enough time to take care of them in the off season. RLPA says they need 6 weeks break, great sounds like the 4 weeks + 2 weeks I suggested.

Thats not to say that players can't have conversations with other clubs before end of season, but nothing signed and lodged before end of season, and if it looks like they need to move cities then the player can prepare, or maybe the destination club pays a relocation fee that includes accommodation for the pre-season. Maybe players will be less likely to change clubs if it's not as easy as planning a move more than a year in advance.

Maybe 1 team towns/cities such as Newcastle, Melbourne, Canberra and Warriors... will be able to hang onto their players more easily and maybe Sydney teams will be able to attract players more easily, because more club options for future moves. Let's face it, its normally not the young players just making grade that people get upset losing, and its the 4 or 5 year club player that would have more roots and find it harder to relocate cities with wife/partner and kids.

So, what's the problem?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Losing, Api Koroisau and Viliame Kikau are massive outs for the Panther and it will be interesting to see their attack but they should still put the ESL rubbish away quite easily.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
A club can talk to a player or his representative any time it wants to. If the NRL banned such discussions, it couldn't police the ban, and it would almost certainly be a restraint of trade anyway. It can say it will not recognize any binding agreements until after the weekly rounds are finished, when half of the players have completed their commitments for the season. If a player helps to get you to the grand final and announces he is moving on before the match is played, you can cut him a bit of slack.
So basically while your team is playing in the finals (or the must win games leading up to the Finals) you know that other teams will be talking to them about playing for them next season. Possibly multiple teams, some they might even be playing the Finals against. There will be pictures from spy cameras, videos, media stories, endlessly pumping up about who is talking to/negotiating with who. Do you really think that players won't be distracted while they are playing in the Finals (or the must win games leading up to the Finals). Noting that the next season starts with the pre season ~6 weeks after the last season finishes. There would be a shorter time frame for talk about who is playing for who next year, but the media intensity would be higher just when you want you players concentrating on making/playing in the finals. There would be barrage of media attention on that which would detract from the hype about the finals. I can't see the NRL agreeing to it for that reason alone.

Do you really think that 6 weeks is long enough for a player to organise somewhere to live, pre school or school for his kids, a job for his partner/wife, furniture etc etc. Not everyone stays in Sydney moving from one team to another. I know for a fact that the RLPA would never agree to such a short relocation time frame.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Problem is the NRL gives too much power to the RLPA and the players, it was them that said they need to move and relocate families. Well when I change jobs its usually 4 weeks notice I have to give to my employer, and maybe I might take a 2 week break between jobs. More than enough time to take care of them in the off season. RLPA says they need 6 weeks break, great sounds like the 4 weeks + 2 weeks I suggested.
When was the last time you moved from Auckland to Brisbane ? Or Melbourne to Townsville? It takes longer than 6 weeks to get a passport.

The rest refer above.

Always a Bulldog

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
When was the last time you moved from Auckland to Brisbane ? Or Melbourne to Townsville? It takes longer than 6 weeks to get a passport.

The rest refer above.

Always a Bulldog
i gave employer 4 weeks notice to move from bris to melbourne

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
i gave employer 4 weeks notice to move from bris to melbourne
Family, house, mortgage, kids, schools, relatives, friends, 18 years of age, etc?
My choice, I moved from Sydney to Boston with 2 weeks notice, but without any of the above.

Everyone’s circumstances are different, but one rule for all of the NRL players is not the same. Around 10 x NRL players per club sign new contracts every year, that‘s ~170 players and their families all in different situations.

Always a Bulldog