‘More blockbusters, more competition’: Buzz’s radical revolution to change NRL forever

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The boozer brought up the idea of promotion and relegation on Mondays 360 on fox or Kayo.
IF I HAD NRL's EMAIL ADRESS I WOULD HAVE EMAILED FOX THE NEED TO PUT A BOOZ BAN ON ITS RL JOURNALISTS..
The promotion and relegation system works in the big European Leagues because soccer is a very different game, I've seen 3rd division teams give 1st division teams a run for their money in European soccer, so when a second division team is promoted the club/owners only has to buy 2 or3 good players and the team becomes competitive in 1st Division.
Sure their are a few superstars in each European League, but because soccer is a very different game there is a lot more players at the next level, to pick from, the system works well in Europe, but it would be a complete unmanageable disaster with RL in Australia.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL can't sustain an elite competition if a team like the Bulldogs or Brisbane are relegated.

For example, the Dogs get relegated and a second tier team gets promoted. Can you imagine there would be no Good Friday blockbuster games against Rabbitohs or the rivalry against the Eels? The NRL is suffering as it is with the Dogs travelling so badly over the last five years. Last weekend against the Eels there were 13,000 people who attended, me included. Across town the A-league Sydney rivalry Wanderers v Sydney FC got 22,000. Now traditionally this game should have got 50,000 but because we are doing so poorly attendances are way down. Now imagine the first year of that club that got promoted there'd be lucky to be 10,000 at this game.

The NRL needs to look harder into why the competition is so lopsided to get powerhouse clubs like the Dogs thriving again so that our games returns to being played in front of 50,000 people because against the Eels we were embarrassed by the A-League.

I can just see the NRL is going to become such a dour game to watch because traditional rivalries is what has made the game survive for 100 years and if we start losing fans such as the Bulldogs fans who won't even have interest in a second tier competition then the game will die of slow death.

Last edited:

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Not enough money in league for promotion and relagation.

Bad idea.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A relegation system wont work with the salary cap. If the salary cap for tier one is 10 million, what happens when a team gets relegated to tier two and the cap becomes 7 million? Does the relegated side have to shed its top players?

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ive been an advocate of introducing a draft though, thats the best way to distribute talent whilst adding optimism to every fanbase. The NRL media would have months of content leading up to the draft and for a competition with 6 months in between seasons, a draft would be the way to keep fans tuned in.

The NRL just has to get the RLPA onside which shouldn't be a problem when they wave the money in front of them