‘I feel sorry for Jake Averillo’: Cleary supports Dogs half as Burton battle rages

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
any established or budding young half at the 'Dogs in 2020 would have seen the writing on the wall when incoming coach Barrett signed Flanagan at halfback in 2021 and Burton at five-eighth for 2022... and had we not got Flanagan for 2021, the alternative option was Blake Green for 12 months... that means Lachlan Lewis, Brandon Wakeham, Jack Cogger and Jake Averillo

and Averillo has only played a handful of FG games in 3 different positions in a struggling club... I think it is a sh*tty thing to do to a young player yet to establish himself in FG... and it's all done as a negotiation tactic
100%.

Normally I enjoy your posts. But your bias is starting to get annoying. Facts are:

1. Ivan is a hypocrite
2. Nathan is a great player but is yet to take the next step and deliver in the big games (grand final?)
3. If Nathan really cared about players welfare, why isn’t he kicking up a stink about someone like Tyrone May who is unable to land a starting spot? I’m sure May sees himself as a starting player. Answer is, it’s a professional sport and the best man for the job wins (same with Burton / Averillo). Another example, why did panthers sign Momorovski when they had Crichton/Naden/Whare available? Again, it’s a professional sport and the best man wins out
Maybe it is bias. We all have some and I was already curious as to what happens with Averillo next year. I don't think the dogs are doing anything wrong by any means though. They have to do what's best for the club and chasing Burton is absolutely it.

I also think Both Burton and Averillo would have some issues whether they air them or not.

As far as May goes I've never heard of anyone even offering him a deal. Either he's not good enough or he's put word out he's staying.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let me see if I have this correct, NCleary is sorry for Averillo who played in the 17 last week, got a full NRL game of experience surrounded by experienced NRL level players, coached by the full NRL coaching team, looked after by the full NRL physio and rehab staff. But he doesn't feel sorry for Burton, who wasn't in the 17, didn't get a full game of NRL experience and was surrounded by reserve graders.

Hypocrit.

Go Dogs
Pretty much what I think about this situation. I get that the Panthers want to keep their most promising back up half. But the crocodile tears about feeling sorry for Averillo is a bit rich when they're clearly not giving two shits about holding Burton back.

At this stage I'm just sick of seeing this rehashed every week.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Nah the media are pushing for a story to promote a big drama at the dogs expense before game day and our boys are shutting it down by being nice to the dogs club.
Lol suggesting the club is doing the wrong thing by Averillo is being nice to us? Lol pure gamesmanship mate.... and you know it :p

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wonder if Cleary would be happy to play reggies so Burton can play FG at Penrith this year...what a tosser!
I wonder if Ivan would be happy coaching reservse grade team West Tigers over Penrith oh wait a minute..

Last edited:

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Says the guy who lied twice to the NRL Integrity unit last year .... you don't give two hoots about Burton or Averillo...enough of this BS

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's so heartening to hear Nathan Cleary feel sorry for Jake Averillo with talk of Matt Burton wanted at the Dogs to play 6 asap.

Infact, Nathan is such a caring guy that tomorrow's newspapers have him quoted feeling sorry for 1st grade ready Matt Burton who's being kept in reserve grade by Penrith "just in case".

Nathan will go on to say how sorry he is as no release means Matt misses out on an extra $300k this year.

Then out of the goodness of his heart & with the approval of father Ivan, Nathan will gift Burton who's only on $130k, an extra $300k out of his $1 million year's salary.

You're a great guy Nathan, the apple didn't fall far from the tree with you buddy.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's definite gamesmanship and Cleary came across as a little b*tch commenting on things that absolutely don't concern him at all. Imagine they were playing the Roosters and came out saying he feels sorry for Josh Morris if Joseph Suallii comes in and takes his spot. Wouldn't happen and they wouldn't risk firing up their opponent. So the fact he feels OK about talking about it here reeks of arrogance.

Having said that, I hope Baz is a good enough man manager to be chatting to Averillo throughout this saga. It's dragging on and you don't want it to dent the kid's confidence. Media narrative is making it seem we're desperate to bring him over and we won't be able to win a game without him.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Penrith are truly f@#king perthetic trying to spin this onto us miss treating Averillo!

Brandy and the Clearys are complete hoppocits, they can say whatever they like, their shit stinks and everyone can see it.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What was that nate? I couldn't hear you over the sound Tik Tok playing

images (6).jpeg

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nathan Cleary is quickly becoming a choker. Lost us the origin this year, choked in the grand final. Didn’t play origin last year and we win. Focus on your own game you shit fuck
Can we call him
Nathan Pearce yet ?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It really should fire Avo up for this game.

If not, might not be a good sign. He must meet the challenge.

He has to play his part (along with Allen and JMK) and the forwards.