News ‘How did they let him go?’ Eels blasted for letting ’one of the great signings’ join Bulldogs

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just goes to show how important a good hooker is now to a team,Parramatta would really find it tough without him.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again its rubbish comments from the muppets on Fox.

They didnt let him go. He just came to us for more money. They still have Gutherson, Brown and Moses in their spine so their cap would have been bent out of shape had they matched our offer.

Thats the way the salary cap works. If they "let him go" like they are suggesting then they wouldnt have made him an offer (similar to what we did with half our squad from last year).

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Note that I include locks in my spine;

For next year Parramatta couldn't afford Mahoney, Gutherson, DBrown, NBrown and Moses.

BUT

For this year Melbourne can afford Grant, BSmith, Hughes, Munster and Papenhuyzen.

AND

Manly can afford TTrbojevic, JTrbojevic, Foran (not on peanuts this year), Cheery Evans and Fainu/Croker.

AND

The Chooks can afford Keary, Walker (yes, he's cheap), Tedesco, Verrills/Watson and Radley.

AND

Penrith can afford Cleary, Luai, Koroisau, Edwards (not expensive) and Yeo

I don't for 1 second believe the "they couldn't afford Mahony" bullshit, the fact is they low balled him, insulted him, undervalued him and pissed him off. And I am quite happy that they did.

Always a Bulldog

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
We know he has talent. But he could come here, the next “BIG thing” an then turn to shit. It’s happening this year with two major signings, so it’s very very nerv racking, yes We know how “good” he is, Yet he hasn’t played a game for us yet. Could be a totally different story, end up less than average.. aka the fox and burton.!!!
So we shouldn't sign anyone coz they might come here and turn to shit?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He will flop with us
Mate, I will not be surprised one bit.
In fact if we bought the whole NSW state of origin team and they put on Bulldog jerseys and we're coached by Barrett and Furner, and reffed by Cummins, Sutton and co, and the same journalists wrote about us the way they do, we'd still struggle.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So we shouldn't sign anyone coz they might come here and turn to shit?
Lol, seems to be the trend. Unless shit changes big time then we will always struggle!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
While I'm not confident that Barrett is the answer, I am willing to concede that he's had a huge roster overhaul and that things might eventually work out. But from the day we signed him I was a bit concerned about the results he orchestrated at Manly.

But I think Mahoney is possibly the game manager we've been crying out for. Seems to see the weakness of opposition defence and can time his passed well enough to allow the forwards to run with intent. Seen him kick a 40/20 in round 1 and have seen the comments that he got another this week. So he's got plenty of strings to his bow. I'm hoping he continues to improve here.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In fact if we bought the whole NSW state of origin team and they put on Bulldog jerseys and we're coached by Barrett and Furner, and reffed by Cummins, Sutton and co, and the same journalists wrote about us the way they do, we'd still struggle.
Sorry to put this way brother, but just as a fish rotts from the head down. Hate (which you probably know) is what I despise most starts from the top, which is the media then filters down right through the entire league.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The top 5 hookers today in order as of 2022:
1. Grant
2. Mahoney
3. Korisau
4. Egan
5. Cook
Where is Jmk?

I think we are very lucky we have a top 5 hooker now and next year we will get a top 2 hooker :p Cogs are in motion towards a dynasty.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The club really need to start calling the officials out when they stuff us about. I know that they aren't the sole factor of our situation but they are a contributing factor and I am disappointed that they aren't constantly calling out there mistakes like other club would do.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Braith Anasta and Paul Crawley have questioned how the Eels could let arguably the second best hooker in the game in reed Mahoney join the Bulldogs in the prime of his career.

Mahoney will link with the Bulldogs on a lucrative three-year deal in 2023 and given his current form Crawley finds it hard to believe the Eels couldn’t find more money for him, given he plays such a crucial position.

“I can’t believe the Eels have let him go,” Crawley said on NRL 360.

You look at how hard Melbourne fought to keep Harry Grant when the Dolphins came charging for him.

When Mahoney went past Andrew McCullough the other night, McCullough looked like he was standing still, which is a real problem for the Dragons.

“Mahoney pulled off a 40/20. He backs up. He never stops thinking out there.

“He is up there in the class of Harry Grant I believe now and also Damien Cook among the elite hookers in the game.

“It is incredible that Parramatta haven’t found a way to keep him.”

Anasta agreed Mahoney is the second best rake in the game and questioned whether the Eels should have done more to hold onto his services.

I would probably only have Harry Grant ahead of him at the moment in the No.9 jersey he is playing that well,” Anasta said.

“How did they let him go? I know there was salary cap pressure. He gets a pay increase to go to the Dogs, which is a magnificent buy.

“Could they have kept him?”

In answering Anasta, Paul Kent pointed out that the Eels made re-signing their fullback over their hooker their priority due to salary cap pressure.

Cleary not,” Kent said when asked if the Eels could have kept Mahoney.

“They got Gutherson in the spine and they just had to renegotiate him. Mitch Moses is clearly there and Dylan Brown, who I think is a sensational player.

“They have got four players in the top half dozen for their position.

“The issue for Parramatta is they prioritised.

“Clearly they are happy with this, but they prioritised Gutherson ahead of Mahoney.

“Parramatta have made that decision and they are happy with it.”

On the flip side Crawley believes Mahoney could go down as one of the Bulldogs’ most important signings in their history.

“This guy only has Harry Grant ahead of him and you put him as No.2 hooker in the game,” Crawley said.

“In that respect for the Bulldogs, while they are going through a really tough time at the moment. Next year Burton is going to have this bloke beside him. He is going to have Kikau there.

“It could be one of the great signings in Canterbury’s history.”

The Daily Telegraph’s Dave Riccio backed up Kent in pointing out that the Eels had six stars coming off-contract and there was no way they could have kept all of them.

“In fairness to Parramatta you can’t keep them all,” Riccio said.

“They had to keep Junior Paulo. They have got Gutherson, Moses and Brown. Reagan Campbell-Gillard on big money.”

However, Anasta was quick to note that the premiership winning teams of the modern era all have class out of dummyhalf in common.

“If you look at the teams that win the competition these days it is very critical that you have a high quality No.9,” Anasta said.
The real motive for blasting Parramatta isn't because Mahoney is leaving them...
It's because he is joining the Bulldogs !
Lies unLtd simply hates to see us succeed in our rebuild !!!

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
Would you guys accept giving Mahoney back for Mitchell moses if we chipped in?

Doggies2035

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What’s crazier is why did bulldogs let him go to parra in the first place ?

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not really,

He runs and passes with storm salary cap around him.

He looked good at the tigers because its the tigers.
If you can’t see how good Grant is then you’re either delusional or know little about the game.