News ‘He’s got a lot more’: Bulldogs rookie justifies the hype - and he’ll only get better

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cameron Ciraldo says he’s not surprised by how well Paul Alamoti has handled the NRL so far and warned rivals that the rookie hadn’t even scratched the surface yet of what he could do with ball in hand.

There have been huge raps on the 19-year-old for the past few seasons, with many in the know tipping Alamoti to develop into something special when given a chance in first grade.

That hype seems justified with the young gun improving each week, with Alamoti setting up two tries and running for 187m in Sunday’s 26-22 win over the Tigers.

The centre hasn’t scored a try yet but showed how selfless he is by linking up with the much faster Josh Addo-Carr for two spectacular four-pointers that had the Belmore faithful rocking.

“It’s been great for a rookie, but I’m not surprised,” Ciraldo said.

“On day one when I rocked up here, it was pretty obvious that he’s something special. I’ve watched him over the past couple of years with excitement and knew he was going to be a good player.

“I’m not surprised by the way that he’s playing and I actually think he’s got a lot more in him, but we just haven’t seen all of that.

“I love how he’s building his game. He’s patient with what he’s doing, and he’s not chancing his arm with different things. When he finds his way, he’s going to be really hard to stop.”

The injection of youth has been crucial for Canterbury’s fast start, but the veterans haven’t been too shabby, with a new recruit proving to be one of the buys of the year.

Dummy-half has long been an issue for the Bulldogs, but those worries are long gone with Reed Mahoney coming across from Parramatta and slotting in seamlessly.

His combination with fellow co-captain Matt Burton is coming along nicely, with the pair linking up for a try, while his leadership and hard work are setting the standard for a club that has dealt with years of disappointment.

“He was brilliant and he’s been brilliant every week. He’s been brilliant since day one when he walked into this joint,” Ciraldo said.

“He’s a natural leader and he’s the sort of guy you want to go to war with.”

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I know a lot of you couldn't find space for him in your 3-2-1 but we can all agree Alamoti was super impressive yesterday in terrible conditions.

Strong in defence with no missed tackles and picking the right moments to push forward in attack which lead to points.

I'm confident a lot of our juniors will find inspiration from his performances throughout the year and can see him quickly becoming a fan favourite and a great role model and will only improve recruitment drive through the grades of the Bulldog juniors and strengthen our future stocks.

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This kid will be special . I’ve witnessed him all through his juniors , he’s skill is amazing and when he gets the confidence playing Fg we will be witnessing it on a weekly basis . He’s kicking /passing/ flick passing / footwork / defence all are special . Ontop of all this is his attitude is amazing and a true leader who led his sides all through the juniors by leading through actions.

He’s only downfall was his fitness levels but with the best in the business at the club Atm he will only improve on that . Honestly if only Tpj and Thompson were not injured I think our wins would’ve been a lot more comfortable .

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was impressed yesterday when he passed to JAC with the long range efforts. Shows he’s a team player and not selfish. Also impressed with his defensive efforts. A lot of people stated his defence would be a concern. But first few weeks that’s impressed me the most. The left side has still been a bit clunky in attack. Once it clicks he’ll benefit more from it.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see him in the back row in years to come

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine if Alamoti had the pace of JAC, Papalii or Blake Wilson. Would be an absolute weapon.

Skelton has him on pace.

Kinda felt sorry for him not having the wheels to get over the line.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Imagine if Alamoti had the pace of JAC, Papalii or Blake Wilson. Would be an absolute weapon.

Skelton has him on pace.

Kinda felt sorry for him not having the wheels to get over the line.
You only need to be quick over 40 and he is to go along with his skill set

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's good that we're getting more good juniors entering the roster. It's been a while since we could count on quality emerging.

Todd Greenberg was among the worst things that happened to our club. He seemed like a great leader, but had no idea how to make the most of our asset's. I read an article about him deciding to cut junior funding on the basis that other clubs would probably scout some of the good ones. Among those that left under his reign, we lost some brilliant talent scouts.

Let's hope the next few years we see a lot more juniors staking claims for spots rather than buying big names.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's good that we're getting more good juniors entering the roster. It's been a while since we could count on quality emerging.

Todd Greenberg was among the worst things that happened to our club. He seemed like a great leader, but had no idea how to make the most of our asset's. I read an article about him deciding to cut junior funding on the basis that other clubs would probably scout some of the good ones. Among those that left under his reign, we lost some brilliant talent scouts.

Let's hope the next few years we see a lot more juniors staking claims for spots rather than buying big names.
Todd was a fkn politician. Made alot of promsies, said all thr right things, delivered on nothing and left in time for someone else to be held accountable.