News ‘Do you want his home or mobile number?’ How the Bulldogs landed All Blacks great

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett has really made his make at Belmore.

Not only has he landed the club’s biggest signing in years in Storm star Josh Addo-Carr but he was also the mastermind behind the club securing former All Blacks coach Steve Hansen.

Hansen was unveiled as a high performance consultant in October in a stunning coup for the rebuilding Bulldogs and CEO Andrew Hill has revealed it was actually the brain child of Barrett.

“I’d like to take some credit but I can’t,” he told SEN on Friday.

“Clearly Trent has learnt a lot since his last head coaching role and part of that learning was to spend some time at the All Blacks.

“When we appointed Trent I invited him to put forward some suggestions around some personal development opportunities for himself but also for the club.

“He came back about 24 hours later and said ‘Hilly what do you think about Steve Hansen?’ and I said ‘yeah perfect, that’s the type of bloke we want but let me know who you think we can get and I’ll work on it.’ He said ‘well do you want his home or his mobile number?’

“I thought it was a joke but clearly it wasn’t.

“I sat down for a day or two trying to build up the right introduction from myself to him, I wasn’t sure whether to call him Sir Steve or Mr Hansen. But when I called he said ‘well Andrew I was expecting you to call a couple of days ago. I’m in, I want to help.”

Hill says Hansen’s impact was felt immediately and his addition gives the club great confidence for what’s ahead.

“He’s already joined the team via Zoom on a couple of occasions already. Obviously with COVID we haven’t been able to get him here face-to-face but I tell you what when he speaks there’s not a word heard other than his own in this theatrette.

“Already the impact and the aura he is bringing... I’m really excited by the influence that he and Trent and other staff (are bringing).”

Hansen is just one part of the overhaul ahead of next season. Barrett has recruited the likes of the highly regarded David Furner as an assistant coach and Dan Ferris as head of high performance.

Hill expressed that it was the club’s disappointing last few seasons — particularly finishing 15th this year — that is the driving force behind the big changes.

“We’ve dropped off lower than all of us would like and that’s what’s driving us every day — to return to where this football club should be both on and off the field,” he said.

Barrett and Hill have been busy putting things in pace for the next two seasons. On top of the coaching and high performance staff changes, there’s been a host of impressive signings including Kyle Flanagan, Nick Cotric and Jack Hetherington as well as Addo-Carr and Matt Burton for 2022.

The club have their sights set on another big fish signing — Brandon Smith.

The Kiwi international hooker has been given permission to explore opportunities for 2022 with rival clubs where he can exclusively play dummy half.

Hill is “confident” that the Bulldogs will genuinely be in the conversation but doesn’t expect Smith to make a decision any time soon.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Loving the professionalism. The no bullsit, no games attitude. I wonder if this is what got JAC over the line on what to appears to be fair coin.
Russell probably sitting at home on the farm next to the phone wondering why he hasnt called yet.