News ‘Disappointing’: Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett opens up on Kyle Flanagan scrutiny

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kyle Flanagan’s NRL recall has grabbed the headlines this week and there’s a simple reason why the saga has disappointed his coach Trent Barrett.

Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett says it has been “disappointing” that the club’s decision to recall Kyle Flanagan has attracted such intense criticism and insists the young halfback is first-grade ready.
The son of premiership-winning coach Shane, Flanagan was recruited from the Roosters last season but spent time out of the NRL side and did not feature in any of the Bulldogs’ first four games in 2022.
The Bulldogs are yet to decide who will partner star recruit Matt Burton in the halves long term and have opted to give Flanagan a chance to prove himself against the reigning premiers this weekend.

The Penrith Panthers are the only team still undefeated in 2022, and the Bulldogs have been criticised for handing Flanagan such a difficult assignment for his first game back.

Journalist Paul Crawley called the move “a disgrace”, while Paul Kent likened it to “getting a hand grenade for your birthday”.

Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould subsequently rushed to Flanagan’s defence and Barrett did the same on Friday, saying Flanagan had shown he was ready for an NRL recall.

“Our reserve grade side, NSW Cup, is undefeated and he’s been a big part of that,” Barrett said.

“It’s pretty hard to ignore that sort of form. He’s scored a lot of points, he’s kicking well and his attitude’s been really good.

“I’m really happy for him. He deserves his spot to come back in and what better way than against Penrith.”

Barrett admitted it was “disappointing” that discussion about Flanagan’s recall hadn’t been more positive.

“We would like to be looking at the other side of it, celebrating how hard Kyle has worked to get back in the team,” Barrett said.

“He’s been knocking on the door for a month now. (Recalling him) was always the plan. We had a plan in and around it. He’s done really well. The boys are happy for him. I’m looking forward to watching him play.

“When we pick teams, we don’t just pull the names out of a hat. There’s a fair bit that goes into it. I want to win too. That’s what is so comical about (the scrutiny), I suppose.”

Barrett refuted claims that Flanagan had not trained with the first grade side all season.

“We’ve got a top 30 (squad) and four development players and they all train together every day,” he said.

“(Jake) Averillo and (Brandon) Wakeham have been the halves in Kyle’s position for the last month, so obviously they’re going to be doing a lot of the ball work in there, but our top 30 train together every day.

“There’s no issue there.”

Barrett stopped short of saying he would guarantee Flanagan a place in the first grade side going forward.

“We don’t have to have those conversations,” he said.

“Kyle’s a grown man. All our players want to be in first grade. We all need to perform, we all need to play well.

“You need stability in your halves, obviously, and we would have loved to have had that. But again, we’ve got to pick teams that we think can win on the weekend and give us our best chance of winning.

“The onus is on our players too, not just Kyle, all of our players. You have to perform well.”

Sunday’s clash will be Burton, Tevita Pangai Jr and Brent Naden’s first against the Panthers since leaving Penrith to link with Barrett, who previously served as an assistant coach at the club.

Barrett said his time at the Panthers wouldn’t necessarily give the Bulldogs an edge, adding that the premiers had evolved since he left the club in 2020.

“They’re probably a better side. They’ve developed over the last three years into what they are. They’re the premiers for a reason. They’re particularly good defensively. They’re hard to break down,” he said.

“They’ve got a lot of good players there who we know well … it gives us a bit of an insight into them I suppose, but I think everyone’s known pretty well what they’ve been doing over the last three years.

“I’m more focused on what we can do.”

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder what the jackals will pick on next week. Maybe the colour of Barrett’s underwear and how it wasn’t matching his training attire. These ***** are bored. They all need a slap. 110% these grubs were bullied at school and participated in spelling bees and chess tournaments. Get a grip.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Well I'm glad that information about not having trained with the FG team has been addressed. It just didn't make much sense with the whole top 30 thing.

I for one hope Flanno kills it. Like him or not, the team needs him to go well!

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm sick of the never ending news cycle about Flanagan. Lady Di's death got less media attention..
Yep. We will be still talking about Kyle's treatment from the media in 25 years time. (I remember where I was then it happened) Edit: I see you changed the media attention.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well I'm glad that information about not having trained with the FG team has been addressed. It just didn't make much sense with the whole top 30 thing.

I for one hope Flanno kills it. Like him or not, the team needs him to go well!
Anyone believes a word coming from a news ltd outlet has rocks in the head,
They are always mixing lies with the truth to suit their agendas :rage:

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
Paul Crawley his such a weak **** i thought they took him off the show but the **** is still on

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Kyle Flanagan has scored more points (42) in reserve grade then our whole first grade squad. Also has twice as much try assists (6) then our whole first grade squad put together.
Damn I hope he can continue that in first grade seems to have really improved

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm sick of the never ending news cycle about Flanagan. Lady Di's death got less media attention.
Same here. The league media are piss poor really. There's hundreds of players across the NRL and the useless turds have to focus on one fucking thing because on average they're too lazy to do a skerrick of research.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Same here. The league media are piss poor really. There's hundreds of players across the NRL and the useless turds have to focus on one fucking thing because on average they're too lazy to do a skerrick of research.
Here here especially that buzz who only knows to research the bottom of his wine glass to tell his stories.. Him **** and Cooper Ale are all as useless as tits on a Bull..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Plus they're not talented or creative enough to write something with substance with the countless interesting and genuine stories that are out there waiting to be written.

The problem is Fox Sports/News Ltd are clearly instructing them to be as controversial as possible and sensationalise everything and give all of these hot takes.. It's the Fox/Sky News angle that they've ramped up with their league coverage. The more outrageous the content, the more people watch even if they are opposed to the opinions or hate the people expressing them..

Unfortunately it works to a degree as people keep watching them, read their articles and constantly react to everything they say or write.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Plus they're not talented or creative enough to write something with substance with the countless interesting and genuine stories that are out there waiting to be written.

The problem is Fox Sports/News Ltd are clearly instructing them to be as controversial as possible and sensationalise everything and give all of these hot takes.. It's the Fox/Sky News angle that they've ramped up with their league coverage. The more outrageous the content, the more people watch even if they are opposed to the opinions or hate the people expressing them..

Unfortunately it works to a degree as people keep watching them, read their articles and constantly react to everything they say or write.
Meanwhile the constant sensationalism and targetting of "certain" clubs for purely divisive, wedging clickbait purposes is eroding the popularity of the game.

Fox has been a party, amongst others, to turn NRL into a joke and bite the hand that feeds them.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Meanwhile the constant sensationalism and targetting of "certain" clubs for purely divisive, wedging clickbait purposes is eroding the popularity of the game.

Fox has been a party, amongst others, to turn NRL into a joke and bite the hand that feeds them.
It's always going to happen. They're always going to favour certain clubs and target others. That doesn't bother me so much.. I'm fine with us being hated. For decades we used it to our advantage.

It's more the blatant hypocrisy and how much they relentlessly hammer players and coaches and make their lives impossible that bothers me. They talk about a duty of care, mental health and player welfare.. Yet they have no problem attacking players, coaches and officials day after day with endless content about the same thing.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's always going to happen. They're always going to favour certain clubs and target others. That doesn't bother me so much.. I'm fine with us being hated. For decades we used it to our advantage.

It's more the blatant hypocrisy and how much they relentlessly hammer players and coaches and make their lives impossible that bothers me. They talk about a duty of care, mental health and player welfare.. Yet they have no problem attacking players, coaches and officials day after day with endless content about the same thing.
Yes but none of the 16 NRL teams in particular should be singled out for villification.

They should all be celebrated as part of an elite competition ....which is actually costing Fox/Daily Telucrap many millions of dollars a year....instead they try and pull it down into the gutter.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kyle Flanagan has scored more points (42) in reserve grade then our whole first grade squad. Also has twice as much try assists (6) then our whole first grade squad put together.
Damn I hope he can continue that in first grade seems to have really improved
The criminals at news ltd would twist the scenario around around to suit their agendas against the Bulldogs !
If Kyle has a good game they just simply wait for the next opportunity to attack us !
If Kyle has an ordinary game they'll say we told you so !
They are nothing short of criminal puppets performing their masters wishes !!!

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Start winning and the noise goes away