News ‘Chopping and changing’: Burton’s big call on Dogs’ halves mystery as new recruit shines

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do we like to complicate situations...
Not only Burton, all players will be given a fair chance to prove their worth in their rightful positions, the sooner we accept it the better it will be.
Nothing like the TK to complicate things.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would argue it’s Mahoney to be honest. Burton was poor 2nd half of the season but surprised Reed isn’t getting more heat from Dogs supporters given how badly his form dropped off.
You think? You can't knock Reed for his effort......

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a big step up into 1st grade tho, and when all around you is crumbling then it's a challenge for an untried 5/8th to carry the team.

Not defending him in the slightest, just highlighting the difference between him and Mahoney and why the expectations should've been slightly different.

I'm not convinced Burton is the answer at 5/8 but he certainly has no excuses this year.

Full preseason.

More established players around him.

A year in the job.

He has to perform otherwise I'd move him to centre pronto. Would be tempted to move him there straight away tbh
As per usual TD, I agree with most of your points, but without an engine room we is fooked!!
It wont matter how good Burto or any other individual back goes....

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
This will be his fourth season in first grade .... has played SOO, represented Australia and won a competition with Penrith.

Burton is running out of time and excuses ... it is this season or bust as a 5/8 for The Dogs in my view.

The strength of our team is our outside backs ... they need to be provided with QUALITY ball, seriously doubt Mann would be any better than Burton at that .... Hutch was signed for this specific reason.

We also need to take into account organisation and communication.

Defense is another issue.

It is all about what is best for the team.
He did all of those things as a centre. Not because he is a centre, but because Penrith had two exceptional halves and he was so good Cleary wanted to get him into the team.

He has had two seasons as a starting half. Both seasons he had been playing in a very poor side, with no go forward. He has also not had the benefit of playing alongside an experienced halves partner. Name any top half in the comp and they all had an old head to help show them the ropes. Burton has had none of the advantages the top halves in the game had coming up….sure he trained alongside Cleary and Luai and played with them at centre. But playing alongside experienced hands while in your preferred position is a completely different thing and an invaluable experience for any half.

Hutchison can play halfback and give the outside backs quality ball. Sexton doesn’t need to be in the team. He has no Factor and can’t do anything Hutchison can’t do better, imho.

I’m confident that with a full preseason and clearly defined role, Burton can give our outside backs plenty of opportunities too. He was striking up a great combination with JAC in 2022. Last year he went backwards a bit. But considering he had no preseason, was trying to learn new systems from a coach who couldn’t decide who his best halves partner was, or what role he should be playing, that’s really no great surprise.

What's best for the team is to combine a half who can organise with a good ball runner who can straighten the attack, has X factor and can set up his outside backs with his short kicking game. Burton is an important part of that equation.Mind you, we won’t get the best out of any of our halves or outside backs if the forwards aren’t going forward.

Honestly, I can’t get my head around trying to shaft a bloke who has long been touted one of the most promising up and coming halves in the game when we have such an over abundance of strike power in the outside backs, it seems completely counter intuitive to me.

If the coach and team need patience, so too does a very talented but green half who is still learning his trade. It’s really that simple, imo.

Burton is just the latest in a very long line of Kennel scapegoats. And his ceiling is much higher than some of our previous scapegoats..

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He did all of those things as a centre. Not because he is a centre, but because Penrith had two exceptional halves and he was so good Cleary wanted to get him into the team.

He has had two seasons as a starting half. Both seasons he had been playing in a very poor side, with no go forward. He has also not had the benefit of playing alongside an experienced halves partner. Name any top half in the comp and they all had an old head to help show them the ropes. Burton has had none of the advantages the top halves in the game had coming up….sure he trained alongside Cleary and Luai and played with them at centre. But playing alongside experienced hands while in your preferred position is a completely different thing and an invaluable experience for any half.

Hutchison can play halfback and give the outside backs quality ball. Sexton doesn’t need to be in the team. He has no Factor and can’t do anything Hutchison can’t do better, imho.

I’m confident that with a full preseason and clearly defined role, Burton can give our outside backs plenty of opportunities too. He was striking up a great combination with JAC in 2022. Last year he went backwards a bit. But considering he had no preseason, was trying to learn new systems from a coach who couldn’t decide who his best halves partner was, or what role he should be playing, that’s really no great surprise.

What's best for the team is to combine a half who can organise with a good ball runner who can straighten the attack, has X factor and can set up his outside backs with his short kicking game. Burton is an important part of that equation.Mind you, we won’t get the best out of any of our halves or outside backs if the forwards aren’t going forward.

Honestly, I can’t get my head around trying to shaft a bloke who has long been touted one of the most promising up and coming halves in the game when we have such an over abundance of strike power in the outside backs, it seems completely counter intuitive to me.

If the coach and team need patience, so too does a very talented but green half who is still learning his trade. It’s really that simple, imo.

Burton is just the latest in a very long line of Kennel scapegoats. And his ceiling is much higher than some of our previous scapegoats..
All fair points.

I wouldn't say he's a scapegoat as you yourself said he wasn't up to scratch last year.

Of course there were reasons, but still. It's only natural for people to call him out as he wasn't good.

And, it's only natural for people to question whether he'd be better at centre as he excelled there for Penrith.

Does that mean his future is at centre? I hope not as that will mean he failed at 5/8 and no one wants that.

Let's see how he goes. Early signs are more promising but we'll have to wait and see

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck that early career Josh Reynolds into the team we've had the last few years and he doesn't even make 10 games before going to NSW Cup. As much as I love Josh Reynolds, we saw the real Reynolds in those last few years he had with us when our squad started getting weaker.

It's unfair putting Burton and he against one another as Burton in that 2012 side possibly goes to the moon. An example that backs this up is Kris Keating... that mofo in 2012 looked like a genius.
I see your point, but even you should be able to admit that when JR burst onto the scene, he was leaps and bounds better than his replacement.

He stood out even in a strong team. Within 2 years of first grade he hit his potential.

Burton is a good 3 years at playing 5/8 or halfback and 4 years of first grade with his best season being the one where he played centre. He is nowhere near the level he should be at for a 5/8th and quite frankly I don't see much improvement.

It's almost like waiting for Ash Taylor or Luke Brooks to go to that next level, but it never comes.

We all have our opinions. I think the general sentiment by most fans is that Burton has this year to prove himself at 5/8th or else he's toast.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was a bloody skilful player.
Used to smoke darts like they were.going out of fashion too I may be correct that he lit up at half time on occasion not sure. :tearsofjoy:
My favourite player of the 90's....

For a forward, his passing game was infinitely better than Burton can ever hope for.

Kicking game was also bloody good.

Passing in tackles.... Just wow.

Chalk and cheese comparing those two...

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can only agree with parts of this.

Last year, Burton had Kikau running off him for a good 8 games. And other than the game against the Storm in Rnd 2 or 3, the combination was in disarray.

Now think back to Penrith in '21 and the combination was good because it was Kikau on the inside of Burton -not the other way around. I won't even mention the selective passing of Luai, Cleary and May who picked and choosed whether Kikau or Burton got the ball.

Think what you like. IMO Burton has a poor passing game and it's so far off where it needs to be that I'm willing to put red line through from last year. It might take you another year or two to agree but I don't think he'll have two years grace to convince me otherwise.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Last year, Burton had Kikau running off him for a good 8 games. And other than the game against the Storm in Rnd 2 or 3, the combination was in disarray.

Now think back to Penrith in '21 and the combination was good because it was Kikau on the inside of Burton -not the other way around. I won't even mention the selective passing of Luai, Cleary and May who picked and choosed whether Kikau or Burton got the ball.

Think what you like. IMO Burton has a poor passing game and it's so far off where it needs to be that I'm willing to put red line through from last year. It might take you another year or two to agree but I don't think he'll have two years grace to convince me otherwise.
I’m not getting any good vibrations from this post

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
C'mon C'mon...
Feel it, feel it.
Feel the vibration.

....how about now?
Yo, it's about that time
To bring forth the rhythm and the rhyme
I'm a get mine so get yours
I wanna see sweat comin' out your pores
On the house tip is how I'm swinging this
Strictly hip hop, boy, I ain't singing this
Bringing this to the entire nation
Black, white, red, brown
Feel the vibration!!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
All fair points.

I wouldn't say he's a scapegoat as you yourself said he wasn't up to scratch last year.

Of course there were reasons, but still. It's only natural for people to call him out as he wasn't good.

And, it's only natural for people to question whether he'd be better at centre as he excelled there for Penrith.

Does that mean his future is at centre? I hope not as that will mean he failed at 5/8 and no one wants that.

Let's see how he goes. Early signs are more promising but we'll have to wait and see
Why Burton, though? Hardly anyone was up to scratch last year. Mahoney was absolutely abysmal and is a lot more experienced. Yet Burton is the only one who gets called out for taking bad options.

A common refrain is at least Reed tries. I don’t buy that. By the end of the season he was just as flat and waiting for the season to be over as anyone else.

I just don’t get the logic of picking apart the guy who is still learning his trade, fam. He has enough pressure on him already.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

Fair enough, that’s your opinion. But there could have been any number of reasons why our structures weren’t working. Fatigue, inexperience, more responsibility on Burton’s shoulders, new teammates and attacking systems, Kikau injured for most of the year and the team being shot for confidence by the time he returned.

I think you guys are putting way too much pressure on his shoulders. I’m giving him more time. We need him to work out, because he has shown at his best he had note X factor than any of our halves, and a Hutchison/ Sexton combo just isn’t adequate.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hope you are right, and Burton can figure it out .... perhaps Jason Taylor can unlock him.

We differ in that you rate his performances thus far at The Dogs a LOT higher than i do ... Fair enough.

Definitely not being scapegoated by me .... Some pretty good footballing minds outside of TK have expressed concern over his abilities as a 5/8.

CHEERS.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why Burton, though? Hardly anyone was up to scratch last year. Mahoney was absolutely abysmal and is a lot more experienced. Yet Burton is the only one who gets called out for taking bad options.

A common refrain is at least Reed tries. I don’t buy that. By the end of the season he was just as flat and waiting for the season to be over as anyone else.

I just don’t get the logic of picking apart the guy who is still learning his trade, fam. He has enough pressure on him already.
I don't think anyone has given any player a pass on last year?

Plenty have pointed out Mahoney and his over playing / missed tackles etc.

I don't think any player has been void of criticism?

However, it's natural for everyone to look more at the halves as they're the captains of the ship. They're the ones steering the team around the park.

It's why they're the highest paid positions in a club because they're the ones who dictate a game.

He came to us with expectations that he would be doing that, but so far hasn't. He can't complain because it's natural for all and sundry to be hardest on players in this position.

Not sure why you don't see that?