News ‘A hand grenade for your birthday’: Flanagan’s Panthers baptism of fire

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The old damned if you do, damned if you don't thing with the league media. It's on Flanagan now to take his shot and earn the right to keep wearing the 7 for us. I'm not particularly sold on his ability. But nor have I been sold on any halfback we've had in a few years.

But this is a huge fucking backpedal from the media who've been critical that we haven't had him in the team thus far. If we were talking about a 19 yo getting his debut this week it'd be all about him just planning to do his best and pride for him to be debuting against a star tram. Given that it's a guy that's had over two years to establish himself as a top line 7 but hasn't, Flanagan should be glad to get the shot. But since he shed a few tears in his interview he's expected to be coddled now for some reason.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok i figured it out....
Barrett is doing this as revenge against the rest of the team who have dropped the ball.

He probably called them all in, and told them I'm putting Flanno at halfback to teach you all a lesson and have your future value go down after a smashing in the next 2 weeks.

It's blackmail at its finest.
Well done Baz.

I feel stupid not thinking it myself earlier

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets go to the source...Hey FLANIGUN you tell us. Do you think you should play this weekend or would you rather wait till tigpies round comes up. And are you ready..

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That 360 mob are pretty well off the mark.
This duty of care they are peddling is nonsensical. Kyle didn't cut it last year and the fact he hasn't trained with the NRL
squad is not material. He is a professional footballer and knows his craft. He is now showing some form and has been picked given that the previous halves have not cut the mustard. I don't think Kyle would be too concerned at being thrown to the supposed slaughter as much as the concern of the 360 mob.
I think that 360 mob who ramble around a 360 degree circle and end up nowhere should demonstrate a bit of duty of care themselves and spare NRL supporters of their twoddle.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Lets go to the source...Hey FLANIGUN you tell us. Do you think you should play this weekend or would you rather wait till tigpies round comes up. And are you ready..
Duty of care is fukn stupid. If we dont play him the media complain, now we play him and they fukn complain.
If he was asked does he want to play, of course he will say yes. If you want to play first grade you have to play all the top teams, fuckn stupid arguement

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can't believe people actually watch those serial loser ass clowns. Don't get kayo or fox and spare yourself
Kayo is pretty good. Get to watch all games (except SOO/GF).
I only watch the games, dont watch 360 or Matty Johns etc.
9 was so bad.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Its unfair to the players because he's not doing them any help by making them look like shit, I always wonder what Bellamy could do with some of ours.
I'm telling you, as long as they've all been training well. Each and every player in our squad is capable of playing, they just need to all be on the same page and mentally fine tuned, even with lesser skill and/or physical qualities, a solid unit that stays strong and smart during the game despite setbacks can win - with our existing players.
The mentality of our team and fanbase needs to be strong.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Duty of care is fukn stupid. If we dont play him the media complain, now we play him and they fukn complain.
If he was asked does he want to play, of course he will say yes. If you want to play first grade you have to play all the top teams, fuckn stupid arguement
You know what everyone has missed?
The fact that hes on $400k and has a contract.
If the coach see's fit to play him he plays because thats his job.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good point

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You know what everyone has missed?
The fact that hes on $400k and has a contract.
If the coach see's fit to play him he plays because thats his job.
Exactly fucking media agenders

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Jesus the amount of clout that Flannagan must have with the media is amazing.

He was by far and away the worst half in 2021 and now that he gets an opportunity the club still gets blasted. If going forward this is how they're going to coddle one of our players then by far and away we would be better off with him.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hopefully Sezer will be wearing the number 7 in a couple weeks. Still better then anything we've got.
I hope so. I wanted us to go for him before he went to England and definitely want him now

He would fill the role for a couple of years

Hopefully Gus is onto it

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
I don’t really know what to say because shouldn’t a half relish a call up? It’s apparent both Averillo and Wakeman aren’t up to organising a team in the 7.
Flanno could refuse the call up if not ready surely

I personally think the team setup us all wrong. Taking into account our injuries this is what I would do:
1 Dufty
2. Naiden
3. Burton
4. Schoupp/Burns
5. JAC
6. Averillo
7. JMK
8. Pangai
9. Cook
10. Vaughan
11. Jackson
12. King
13. Thompson
-
14 BBO
15 Ava
16. Stimson
17. Waddel

next year I would punt Jackson when Kikau comes in.