OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Round 9 | Pre game | Bulldogs vs Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt it’ll be like last year where we play well one week then lose the next, this is similar to2012 season and 2009 where we don’t lose to our bogey teams. To many professionals, the addition of these players who aren’t the best but are consistent is really doing wonders. Love Curran so glad we got him what a machine

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think the focus should be more on how CC uses Taffe without having to account for a game-ending injury. Throwing him on for last 10 minutes is just BS in my view. If he is chosen on the bench, then get him on the field for more than just 10 minutes at the end.
CC said the plan was to get him on earlier against the knights but Critta went down with cramp just as he was about to come on so they held off in case Critta needed subbing.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
CC said the plan was to get him on earlier against the knights but Critta went down with cramp just as he was about to come on so they held off in case Critta needed subbing.
Hutchison went off for Taaffe, from memory. Subbing your 7 is an odd move. It indicates Cirro doesn't see Hutchison as the long term 7.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I've had a similar observation. Seems like all of the "teams I'd like to see" that are named on TK have at least 3 (many have 4) large forwards on the bench. CC has sometimes had 1! Another common critique of CC has been his use of the bench, which seems to be minimal. I'm starting to think that part of the CC style is that by default 11 out of the 14 players are expected to play 80 minutes. Of the 3 players that don't, one of them is going to start and get subbed and that is them done. That player plus two middle forwards coming off in the first and back in the second makes 5 of the subs for the game. The other 3 are being reserved for injuries or tactics.

So far as why we don't have many big boppers, we have a range of small forwards that are excellent at defense, they hit well above their body weight, and have less issues with lateral movement and keeping up with the play. But most important of all is our line speed, as has been shown by the data, in the first 7 rounds we have the best line speed in the comp. We make our metres with our defense, first and foremost. When it comes to making metres with ball in hand we are relying a bit more on our backs, and forwards with a bit of footwork like Presto and Curran. Hughes and King are getting some decent hitups and fast PTBs each game, and the team is getting better at responding to that, though Mahoney needs to cut back on his attempts to win penalties in the ruck and do more work to get the ball into the right players hands quickly when the opportunity comes up. Burton's boot is also winning us some handy metres.

This does show up in the stats, as a team we are:

1st for average running metres conceded with 1307. Next best is Panthers with 1367, 3rd is Storm with 1375, then Cows with 1387. By far the worst is Titans with 1596.

But:

17th for PCM averaging 500 (16th is 543, Phins, and 1st are the Raiders with 664).
14th for Run metres averaging 1591 (1st is Warriors with 1906).
6th for Kick metres averaging 620 (1st is Raiders with 671, but that could fall off a cliff with Fogarty out now).

Thing is that despite our low running metres stat, we are right up there for line breaks. Cows are 1st averaging 6.3, then us at 5.7, then Phins and Manly at 5.2. So we haven't needed big PCM in order to make line breaks. JAC is easily our leader for line breaks, with 8 from 4 games, but the rest of them are quite spread out among the team, meaning we have 8 players with 3 or more line breaks for the season. For comparison, Bronks have 5, Sharks have 4, Storm have 6, Eels have 4, Panthers have 4. Threats across the park baby!

One other stat that really stands out is chargedowns. We have 8 for the season, more than 1 a game. Tigers have 6, Raiders 5, Knights 3, there are 3 teams with 2, and the other 10 teams in the comp have 1.
That's a great analysis mate well done.

Running metres isn't a telling stat like it used to be thanks to refs gifting 6 agains and massive inconsistencies policing the ruck.

Good teams will always be up the top defensively though. Good signs

Joelmcevoy2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will lose saturday against tigers im afraid gerald sutton is in the bunker he hates us

Rumdogmillionaire

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That's a great analysis mate well done.

Running metres isn't a telling stat like it used to be thanks to refs gifting 6 agains and massive inconsistencies policing the ruck.

Good teams will always be up the top defensively though. Good signs
Good points!! Got me thinkin'...

Perhaps running metres are not so important ... nor PCM!

PCM with a slow play the ball could potentially favour the defensive team. (ie., give the D-line a chance to reform whilst - in reality - the wrestle for a couple of "cheap metres" provides valuable "reset time" for the defensive team).
Perhaps this is where CC is waaaaay ahead of all of us ?
Maybe his data dictates why he picks his team of small, hard hitting, quick footed, superior wrestle type players ...who simply tick all the KPI's more effectively than what your "traditional forward pack rotation" would do??

I dunno - just puttin' it out there.

What do ya'all think about that?

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hutchison went off for Taaffe, from memory. Subbing your 7 is an odd move. It indicates Cirro doesn't see Hutchison as the long term 7.
It gives Taffee a trial run at 7 off the bench and a way out for the coach. If he drops Taffee from first grade then he's admitting he got it wrong at FB in the pre season. If he replaces Hutch from the starting side so quickly he's admitting he got the HB wrong in the pre season.

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It gives Taffee a trial run at 7 off the bench and a way out for the coach. If he drops Taffee from first grade then he's admitting he got it wrong at FB in the pre season. If he replaces Hutch from the starting side so quickly he's admitting he got the HB wrong in the pre season.
You seem to be implying that Ciraldo is letting his ego get in the way of team selections. Nothing is further from the truth. Tracey didn't start at fb because he had virtually no preseason so next best option for him was Taafe. There is also a reason Hutchinson is 7 whether you or I agree or not and that's been well documented. Taafe is on the bench because Ciraldo wants him on the bench.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm happy with hardworking fwds that are good defenders, most teams use the back 5 for for yardage now and we are pretty well served in that department.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm more inclined to think Ciraldo has been playing Hutchison so the side could spend the first 6-10 rounds focusing on defensive patterns. Having a solid defender like Hutchison has allowed the whole side to worry more about their own roles. Not having to move in or back pedal to cover a weaker defender like Sexton.
Especially with so many new faces.
Now Ciraldo has a defensive foundation in place, and some combinations working like left and right attacking plays, he can develop other parts of the emerging Bulldogs game plan.
For example he can experiment with options for his ball players. His halves and ball playing forwards.

Ciraldo will be regarded as the best coach in the game in 2-3 years. Especially once he gets some finals experience.
And I think the reason for that will be because he will change the way the game is played.

One way the game might change by having even more flexibility in team selections (especially bench and substitute selections) to adapt to the opposition before or during a game.
The standard bench of a utility plus two 110kg+ middle forwards and a second rower is not always what is needed.
Why not have a utility middle ball player (Hayward or Mann) plus two smaller but mobile forwards (Salmon and Morrin) and a utility half or outside back (like Taaffe)?
It might not be just because of depth or injuries Ciraldo has such a light bench, but because he thinks it delivers the best results.
With solid halves like Hutchison and Burton, and Kikau and Preston playing big minutes out wide, there is already more than enough size and toughness on the field to wear down an opposition.
With the Bulldogs playing the way they are, what sort of player will deliver more in the last 10-20 minutes of a tight game?
A big middle to do 6 hit ups and 6 tackles, or a Taaffe?
We may not be far away from regularly seeing only one big middle forward like Hughes or King on the field with the rest of the pack comprising Kikau, Preston, Mahoney, and smaller forwards like Salmon and Mann.
And Taaffe coming on for Hutchison.
There is no rule that says a 7 can't be replaced. Especially as Hutchison is not dominating games like a Cleary, Reynolds, Johnson or Hughes.
This could be the way the game is going and Ciraldo may be ahead of the curve.
It would explain why Ciraldo and Gould aren't too worried about buying an AFB, JFH or Haas. Or a dominating half for that matter.
They're over-priced and it is not the way the game is headed.
Watching how Ciraldo and his new-look side change rugby league over the next few years is going to be one of the best parts of being a Bulldog fan.
Sit back and enjoy.

Bronze

Waterboy
Reaction score
Watching how Ciraldo and his new-look side change rugby league over the next few years is going to be one of the best parts of being a Bulldog fan.
Sit back and enjoy.
He is definitely onto something with our team lists and game day strategy. I'll be the first to admit I was uneasy on him last season even with our injury crisis, but he has come out this year and put all my doubt to the sword. Every week I watch his pressers and he sound more and more like a head coach. Don't want to get ahead of myself but our last-minute team changes and bench rotations are throwing teams off and it looks like we really could be building something incredible out of Belmore.

With all the outside noise about how small our forward pack is and how we will be dominated through the middle by the good teams, it just hasn't happened. CC has worked out that they can have the biggest blokes running at us but if we just combat that with smaller mobile forwards with good line speed in defence and big motors able to make 40+ tackles every game we have been able to come up trumps.

Just a quick shoutout/appreciation - massive respect to Kurt Mann who returns this week and has instantly become my favourite bulldog for this year. His unorthodox play from lock has been setting up plenty of tries and creating space for our backs to go to work. Best moment from him this year is that backbreaker of a shot he put on Jennings into the posts in the first half of the rooster's match. Lives rent free in my head daily.

Anyways Bulldogs by 13+ - tigers stand no chance.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm more inclined to think Ciraldo has been playing Hutchison so the side could spend the first 6-10 rounds focusing on defensive patterns. Having a solid defender like Hutchison has allowed the whole side to worry more about their own roles. Not having to move in or back pedal to cover a weaker defender like Sexton.
Especially with so many new faces.
Now Ciraldo has a defensive foundation in place, and some combinations working like left and right attacking plays, he can develop other parts of the emerging Bulldogs game plan.
For example he can experiment with options for his ball players. His halves and ball playing forwards.

Ciraldo will be regarded as the best coach in the game in 2-3 years. Especially once he gets some finals experience.
And I think the reason for that will be because he will change the way the game is played.

One way the game might change by having even more flexibility in team selections (especially bench and substitute selections) to adapt to the opposition before or during a game.
The standard bench of a utility plus two 110kg+ middle forwards and a second rower is not always what is needed.
Why not have a utility middle ball player (Hayward or Mann) plus two smaller but mobile forwards (Salmon and Morrin) and a utility half or outside back (like Taaffe)?
It might not be just because of depth or injuries Ciraldo has such a light bench, but because he thinks it delivers the best results.
With solid halves like Hutchison and Burton, and Kikau and Preston playing big minutes out wide, there is already more than enough size and toughness on the field to wear down an opposition.
With the Bulldogs playing the way they are, what sort of player will deliver more in the last 10-20 minutes of a tight game?
A big middle to do 6 hit ups and 6 tackles, or a Taaffe?
We may not be far away from regularly seeing only one big middle forward like Hughes or King on the field with the rest of the pack comprising Kikau, Preston, Mahoney, and smaller forwards like Salmon and Mann.
And Taaffe coming on for Hutchison.
There is no rule that says a 7 can't be replaced. Especially as Hutchison is not dominating games like a Cleary, Reynolds, Johnson or Hughes.
This could be the way the game is going and Ciraldo may be ahead of the curve.
It would explain why Ciraldo and Gould aren't too worried about buying an AFB, JFH or Haas. Or a dominating half for that matter.
They're over-priced and it is not the way the game is headed.
Sit back and enjoy.
You’re pumped Harry the smaller forwards should help in the wet I think we will see this weekend.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is definitely onto something with our team lists and game day strategy. I'll be the first to admit I was uneasy on him last season even with our injury crisis, but he has come out this year and put all my doubt to the sword. Every week I watch his pressers and he sound more and more like a head coach. Don't want to get ahead of myself but our last-minute team changes and bench rotations are throwing teams off and it looks like we really could be building something incredible out of Belmore.

With all the outside noise about how small our forward pack is and how we will be dominated through the middle by the good teams, it just hasn't happened. CC has worked out that they can have the biggest blokes running at us but if we just combat that with smaller mobile forwards with good line speed in defence and big motors able to make 40+ tackles every game we have been able to come up trumps.

Just a quick shoutout/appreciation - massive respect to Kurt Mann who returns this week and has instantly become my favourite bulldog for this year. His unorthodox play from lock has been setting up plenty of tries and creating space for our backs to go to work. Best moment from him this year is that backbreaker of a shot he put on Jennings into the posts in the first half of the rooster's match. Lives rent free in my head daily.

Anyways Bulldogs by 13+ - tigers stand no chance.
Smaller crew on a wet track should help…but is it a smaller crew he is looking for or just effort kikau is big man all effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.